Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...  (Read 26336 times)

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
Re: So my friend says there are no normal people playing df...
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2016, 01:03:30 pm »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?
There is no objective, universally-agreed upon standard as to what constitutes a "normal person".

Yes there is. The Oxdorf Dwarven dictionary compact edition of 1050 defines normal person as

normal person (plural normal people) 1. A player of Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress
                                                                  1. A sapient being enjoying  Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress
                                                                  2. A cat walking on your keyboard as you play Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress
                                                                  3. Your friend after he starts playing Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:21:57 pm by Arthropleura »
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2016, 01:15:57 pm »

Wow, Oxdorf is surprisingly specific. Here is the entry in Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language 1913:

>1. According to an established norm, rule, or principle; conformed to a type, standard, or regular form; performing the proper functions; not abnormal; regular; natural; analogical.

Very vague in comparison.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2016, 01:24:18 pm »

Wow, Oxdorf is surprisingly specific. Here is the entry in Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language 1913:

>1. According to an established norm, rule, or principle; conformed to a type, standard, or regular form; performing the proper functions; not abnormal; regular; natural; analogical.

Very vague in comparison.

This is why Dwarven dictionaries are better. The writers know that the sooner you know what something is, the sooner you can club goblins over the head with it.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2016, 08:40:10 pm »

I'm completely normal aside for lighting the occasional kid on fire while whittling human bone dioramas of Jesus surfing on the back of a shaved Gorilla while injecting heroine into his testicles.

Mmmm, shaved Gorillas.

huh, I have a gorillia shave my back while injecting heroin into my testicles.
We should hang out.  ;)

Moridin920

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:37 pm »

I'm 26 and I feel like I'm pretty normal idk. Not a programmer or anything.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2016, 05:34:26 am »

I haven't been playing dwarf fortress for the longest time, but I have been playing games like it since i was introduced to gaming.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2016, 06:05:08 am »

That about me... 18 years old student, professional programmer(probadly can be counted as lone)(code for !eight! years(seriosly(if time that i spent to learn it counting), now continue to learning some staff in universiti.
I would like to have time to say more, but now is busy. So let's laconic: the normal, average person is so lame, that I have never had any desire to get into into this category. They will never try to do somethink intresting... they will never to risk, they never can be really be satisfied of their lives...  they can only talk to someone who is doing something that it wants and what it achieves that it is not normal.

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2016, 07:11:47 am »

As far as normal goes, I'm 39 and I'm an IT Tech and very little time to code.  I have 2 kids and still figure out a way to play this game, which is plain amazing!

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2016, 07:39:02 am »

I have 2 kids
Fortresses don't count as children.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2016, 07:43:33 am »

And neither do children count as fortresses, so some of you should probably stop doing what you're doing...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2016, 08:36:54 am »

Are you telling me that i'm not supposed to be filling children with magma?

Huh.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:21 pm »

I'm 26 and I feel like I'm pretty normal idk. Not a programmer or anything.

25 and also pretty normal, whatever that is. I have my own place, a job, a girlfriend. I just like slaying elves in my free time is all.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2016, 09:08:43 pm »

25 and also pretty normal, whatever that is. I have my own place, a job, a girlfriend. I just like slaying elves in my free time is all.
Nonononono... You're clearly a freak! Except for the elves thing, of course.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2016, 11:31:01 pm »

My friend says that all df players are 13 to 14 or lone programmers...I need to show him a proof "normal" people play this game...Any help?

My help is to suggest you find some better friends. That one sounds like they're maybe a friend, or at best, a -friend-. Find yourself a ☼friend☼.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2016, 02:55:53 am »

Ask him where he gets his information from.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11