Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Bridge  (Read 1253 times)

RustyDusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long Bridge
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:41:39 am »

For retracting bridges, if they're all linked to the same lever, will they still collapse? They seem to phase out of existence when retracted so there's not really anything to support or to cause a cave in, but I don't know. Say I have 3 bridges acting as one long bridge. They're all retracting and connected to the same lever. Will the middle bridge component cave in or will it be fine?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Long Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:45:25 am »

With such questions, it is generally faster to test it yourself given the size of DF community.

However, you couldn't you just not link the middle bridge?

RustyDusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:50:58 am »

With such questions, it is generally faster to test it yourself given the size of DF community.

However, you couldn't you just not link the middle bridge?

If I don't link the middle one then that seems like an even more sure-to-happen cave in since it would have nothing supporting it when the only two bridges connecting it retract. I guess I can try, I just didn't want to risk injuring my dwarves or having to rebuild the whole thing again.[quote author=Fleeting Frames

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:01:38 am »

Injuring dwarves and doing experiments, perhaps multiple times, are the soul of Dwarf Fortress.

RustyDusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:03:55 am »

Injuring dwarves and doing experiments, perhaps multiple times, are the soul of Dwarf Fortress.

How could I have been so blind

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:38 am »

Remember, it doesn't count if you kill the process!

...Though even with that, sometimes I'm still too hilariously irresponsible, like when I accidentally (atom)smashed all my miners trying to mine the same wall tile in a tragic minecart lever accident.

Still, a great way to learn to not care about anything anymore! (Portal 2 song applies, too)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:39:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:54:51 am »

I think the middle bridge will cave in as soon as the building is completed. You won't even be able to link it to a lever. Just build a column in the center of the span. Or you could extend a floor out from the side of the expanse to make up the difference.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 01:59:26 am »

Edit: double post for some reason
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 02:00:08 am »

I think the middle bridge will cave in as soon as the building is completed. You won't even be able to link it to a lever.
It won't. I've built mid-air bridges and removed the access to them myself. They'll cave in though if you cave in whatever they're built on top of, however.

Architecturally, I really like midair catwalks, though I rarely have a good reason to build one (last one I did was for a more direct path over my tree farm).

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:03:31 am »

I think the middle bridge will cave in as soon as the building is completed. You won't even be able to link it to a lever.
It won't. I've built mid-air bridges and removed the access to them myself. They'll cave in though if you cave in whatever they're built on top of, however.

Architecturally, I really like midair catwalks, though I rarely have a good reason to build one (last one I did was for a more direct path over my tree farm).

The wiki is wrong then.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 03:06:47 am »

Constructions cave in when built hanging from buildings.

A bridge, however? Not a construction. Buildings can merrily hang in mid-air - and most of them are useful to hang.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 03:31:50 am »

Constructions cave in when built hanging from buildings.

A bridge, however? Not a construction. Buildings can merrily hang in mid-air - and most of them are useful to hang.

I'm sure it says on the wiki that you need to have support to build a bridge.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 03:44:54 am »

You can't designate a raising bridge without floor (and can just d-n the floor afterwards if you won't be linking it up), but retracting bridges need just access.