Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 68644 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 08:43:14 pm »

Yeah, that's great. I'm more of a visual learner, myself, and it can be interesting to see how the styles of overseers vary. How hilly is the embark? Were my z-level predictions correct?

Btw, your three-wide entrance has ramps in the path, so I think trade wagons may not be able to currently enter it.

And indeed. On igneus layers, it's always "fucking gold everywhere, where's some buildable ore - ah what the hell *toggles gold to non-economic*"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 09:34:59 pm »

Nice, I'm next, right?
I have a project in mind, a nice outdoor kinda.

p.s.  Ah yes, this is 42.06, so we will have taverns, temples and libraries.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:39:04 pm by Sanctume »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »

Surprised to learn you have only 7 dwarves. The impression that I got from HMetal was that the next overseer would start with 80+ after 2 years of fort.
To clear things up, Deathgame was a fort that ran for 2 years. A beast wrecked it. And the save Blahsad got was when it started. An "avoid the nightmarish future" thing if you will.

Also, you want in on this?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »

In fact, I had so much gold, that I had to make the kitchen out of gold bars. Also Erush, the miner, killed a cyclops with his pick.

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 11:31:01 pm »

Yeah, that's great. I'm more of a visual learner, myself, and it can be interesting to see how the styles of overseers vary. How hilly is the embark? Were my z-level predictions correct?

Btw, your three-wide entrance has ramps in the path, so I think trade wagons may not be able to currently enter it.

The map goes up to 167z high. Plenty of ground levels and layers to work with. And duly noted, I'll fix that ASAP.

Summer post incoming.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 11:33:21 pm »

That's close, but is that the highest point of map, or highest - lowest?

@HMetal2001:
I don't (yet). Currently, outside of lack of iron making steel precious (more precious than adamantine?), I know no unique features of it, whether genned or designated.

I have previously run a small analysis for another Tavernfort, but while I had the opportunity to take the save at the time, I took a long hard look at it, made designations and had to admit that while those are neat ideas in my opinion they'd wreck both the labour setup (every dwarf having 1, legendary fish cleaner in first year for instance) and at the very least abandon if not wreck the previous fort layout.

Though admittedly, each new overseer coming in, saying "this is a mess, I'm doing everything differently now" is a bit endemic in some succession series. Others series, however, are neat in not messing what previous overseers have done. Ultimately, I don't want to ignore it like some reclaim of worldgen fort.

(Also, there's the mess with tilesetting mentioned in that link - I remembered later that I'm running a small mod for newbies for descriptions in reactions. Eh, it is not like PE's pack will take long to DL. )

(And admittedly, I yearn for a bit of forting. However, I've yet to succeed in generating at max 20 tile embark with evil swamp+good dry tropical broadleaf+tropical savanna, grassland + temperate shrubland + closest major pop centers of humans, elves and goblins each having thousands of pop + at least 4 centuries + perhaps necro towers.)

PS: Picklords rule!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:36:01 pm by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 11:59:20 pm »

Journal of Udil "HMetal" Silverystopped, miner
28 Felsite, 500

Now that Zefon (he likes to call himself "Blahsadfeguie" for some reason) is overseeing the operations here, I've been relegated to mining. Not that I'm complaining. I take pride in digging the halls of this honorable fortress. And getting closer to Armok's heart.

I've been having more visions of the future (or a possible future.Everyone thinks I'm dreaming). A cyclops came to our fort. 8 dwarves died. It was over-exerted from killing. Erush, though struck his hands and kept on hacking its head with his pick. The militia captain kept on punching the one-eyed freak. From a distance, it was hilarious though.

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 12:04:08 am »

That is the highest point. Looks like the map only goes down to level 20, I don't know how much that matters though. Haven't had a fort make it that far down yet.

Anyway, here's the update. I actually took a few screenshots this time! Hooray.

The Journal of Zefon "Blahsadfeguie" Simplepainted, Woodcutter
5th Hematite, 500

Construction has begun on the metalworking wing, as well as some beds. It's not that I can't take another three months of toughening up on the cold, hard rock; the other dwarves' complaints started getting to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

17th Hematite, 500

As much as I like seeing gold everywhere I look, I've designated a stockpile in the new wing for the nuggets. Maybe it'll fill up in time for Nish to finally finish building that smelter. Can't you hear them calling, Nish? Those poor gold nuggets want to be free of their natural form, they want to become pure!

Meanwhile, I've planned out the sleeping quarters one floor below the dining hall. Relaying the exact specifications for every room to our miners is tedious work. Thankfully it's only seven rooms... well, eight, actually. You never know, we might end up seeing some more dwarves at some point... of the smaller persuasion ;)

(Did I just draw out a sideways winky face? I gotta lay off the rum just a tad. Dear Armok I hope Rovod doesn't find this journal...)

24th Hematite, 500

Looks like some of the bedrooms have... What is this blue rock? Cobaltite? Well, I guess it beats staring at the same boring gray gabbro every night. Maybe the calming blue is just what Udil needs. He's been getting better, but I think his nightmares are recurring, because I sometimes hear him babble in his sleep...

26th Hematite, 500

Erush is so eager to use these bedrooms that he fell asleep on the floor right after finishing the last one. Silly Erush, I know it's called a bedroom, but the room is not the bed!

Also, that's my room. Get out.

2nd Malachite, 500

The rooms have been assigned. We are now officially free from the cold embrace of the rubble. I'm laying on my own bed now, the one that I own (it's great) and it feels like Armok Himself has lifted me into the sky and placed me gently on a cloud. Did I mention I like this bed?

3rd Malachite, 500

With everyone well-rested for the first time in months, the refining has kicked off in full force. I woke up to find Morul already cutting some gems without being asked. That's the sort of passion I expect from Deathgame!

Erush, on the other hand, was still dozing off. I practically dragged him to the wood furnace and set him to work producing charcoal. We'll need an entire forest's worth if we want to get anywhere in this industry.

6th Malachite, 500

They're finished! Our first gold bars!

I had to restrain myself from touching them while they were cooling, but as soon as they were reasonably lukewarm, I ran my fingers all along the smooth surface, tapping and sniffing to make sure they were real. And by Datan, they were! Solid gold! I glanced back at our gold nugget stockpile and pictured stacks upon stacks of gold bars, gold coins, gold thrones and tables and doors, gold-paved floors, ornately engraved golden walls, a gilded battle-axe chopping down golden-leaf trees, hacking apart bright yellow goblins and spilling their liquid gold blood...

It was Rovod who slapped me out of my trance and informed me that I was drooling, fondling the bars like fluffy pillows. No, I don't have a problem at all! If I had a problem, the other dwarves wouldn't have been laughing at me... right?

11th Malachite, 500

As I sat before our rapidly-growing stacks of golden bars, admiring them for the umpteenth time, I was approached by Udil of all dwarves.

"Sir?" he hesitantly asked. "We have migrants."

"Yeah, yeah," I dismissed, "when DON'T we have headaches? It's kind of a side-effect of being inebriated. Just have some more beer and you'll be fine."

I could hear a soft sigh of relief; I think he was expecting me to snap at him for interrupting my me time. Or maybe it was disdain. Probably both. "Zefon..." he droned. "Not migraines, migrants. As in, dwarves." My blank, bewildered stare prompted him to continue. "New dwarves, coming to live here."

I knew what he was trying to say. It was the suddenness of it all that got to me. "New dwarves..." I repeated. I hadn't expected to take in any migrants until word of our success had spread.

I wasn't about to look the gift horse in the mouth, however. More dwarves means faster production, after all. "Well, what are you waiting for?" I snapped. "Bring them to the dining hall!"

With a grimace, he nodded and lead me into the dining hall, where four dwarves I didn't recognize were already waiting.

"Four of them?" I questioned, squinting. "Just four?"

The new dwarves exchanged glances, as though embarrassed.

I shook my head. How much faith did King Goldenbreach have in our operation? It was almost insulting to have such a long trip planned, only to bring us four dwarves... Regardless, I asked for their names and professions to see what little help we were getting.

Migrants, Summer 500: 4 dwarves, 3 animals
(M) Asen Helmedkindling, Metalsmith
(F) Asmel Workedchanced, Gelder
(M) Asob Guildsport, Architect
(F) Zan Bellslabors, Papermaker
Donkey foal, Horse foal, Piglet

At first I was excited to find out Asen was a metalsmith, but disappointed to learn his skills are still that of a novice. That will soon change if I have anything to say about it.

Asmel is a gelder, and not much else. She's not even very good at it, either. When asked if she could do literally anything else, she tentatively informed me that she had a vague interest in performance arts... Unfortunately, I can't convert her into blatant military fodder, not if I want to stay on good terms with her husband Asen.

Asob and Zan are both masters of their (situational) trades. They both have a little combat experience, however, with Asob being a swordsdwarf and Zan an axedwarf. They are husband and wife.

Well, on the bright side, we're not any worse off than before...

14th Malachite, 500

The new migrants are settling in rather well. While we dig out and furnish their bedrooms, I've given them each more useful jobs.

- Asmel is now a full-time wood burner.
- Asob is helping with masonry. It seems right up his alley. But first, I'll have him carve out a few more bolts for Rovod.
- Zan is to join Fath on farming duties.
- Asen stays right where he is.

16th Malachite, 500

One of the newcomers informed me that "a giant kea has stolen a tower-cap training axe!"

My response was "we had one of those?"

25th Malachite, 500

We were running low on booze, so I finally designated a proper kitchen area, with a still and everything. Fresh, sweet alcohol will flow through our veins very soon!

I have also begun plans to accomodate our animals, finally. We'll carve blocks and nest boxes to build an enclosed space for egg production. Actually, I don't have to put the chickens above ground, do I...?

I've also just realized that I don't have a trade depot yet. What good is having all this gold if I have nowhere to sell it?

5th Galena, 500

Asob approached me today; he was worried that we were unprotected from the dangers of the outside world. He suggested that we build a drawbridge and insisted that he was to design it. I shrugged and said "okay," and he ran off giggling like a madman.

I suppose everyone has the right to take their own jobs seriously, however trivial may they be. No, I don't mean defense; I mean architecture. What is there to design about a drawbridge? It's just a big plate of stone that separates us from nasty gold thieves. But whatever. The less things I have to worry about, the better.

10th Galena, 500

Rovod, having finally caught up with hauling, grabbed a stack of bolts and went out to hunt again. But alas, she once again returned empty-handed. There's not much to hunt around here anymore, it seems. The wild animals must be repelled by our growing civilization. Even though we don't spend much time on the surface at all... animals are weirdly clairvoyant like that.

Frustrated at a lack of decent game, she spent the night with me. Long story short, I like to think I cheered her up. ;)

(Armok damn it, she has me doing it again.)

15th Galena, 500

While Asob puts the finishing touches on the drawbridge, I have laid out the plans for an above-ground pasture for our grazing animals. It won't be very large, as I don't expect to house a lot of them, but it will be functional and safe.

The lever that controls the drawbridge will be situated deep down, near the dining hall where we'll likely have a lot of dwarves who can reach it quickly in case of an emergency. Don't ask me how it can raise a drawbridge on the surface from 50 feet underground. It's probably a wizard or something.

24th Galena, 500

Wall construction for the pasture is slow going. Apparently there are too many hauling jobs that need to be taken care of. Guess it doesn't help that I decided to take out my aggression on some trees the other day. What I wouldn't give for more migrants... I don't care if they're all diagnosers and traders; if they have arms, they're useful in my book.

1st Limestone, 500

The wall is mostly complete, now to wait for someone to move those damn plants out of the way... and for the masons to make just a couple more blocks...

While waiting for things to get done, I decided to count the gold bars, by hand, since we haven't gotten around to bookkeeping yet. I don't mind it at all, as you can... probably tell. 69 gold bars is nothing to sneeze at. Or chuckle at. It's just a number for Armok's sake.

My, how time flies. It's already autumn! This season, I'll have to start considering what to make with these bars. My beard is tingling just thinking about it! ...that's normal, right?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:49:07 am by Blahsadfeguie »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:45 am »

"a giant kea has stolen a tower-cap training axe!"
Ohshi

A Giant Kea has stolen a ≡willow wood minecart≡!

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 01:11:56 am »

Journal of Udil "HMetal" Silverystopped
1 Malachite, 500

Now that we have unearthed lots of gold, it's only a matter of time that we encounter gems. And LOTS of gems. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have the forge make gold crowns and a gem cutter encrust them with black zircons. Speaking of black zircons, I've been having better sleep now, except sometimes when I have visions. Nowadays, they aren't horrifying at all. In fact, they are most pleasing. They mostly consist of sights of gold, and gems. Black zircons, green zircons, beryls, and emeralds. In this one vision I had, they were some kimberlite deposits below where I sleep. I recall myself rushing to Erush, who informed me that kimberlite houses DIAMONDS!

I then ordered another miner, and Erush to accompany me in mining the rock out for diamonds. We found almandines instead. By Lim, those gems glowed like the gold bars in our stockpile. They were immediately hauled back to the gem stockpile.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 01:16:35 am »

*waits to not edit to not ruin the delivery* Ok, now more seriously:

167-20=147. Seems like I was off by 3.

What it matters is both FPS (every tile simulated) and how far you have to go down to reach the magma/the caverns deep in earth (and you kinda want indoor grazing with those keas).

Even with setting the differences between layers as small as possible, caverns don't start until at least 5 levels below the lowest point of the region.

Now, I don't have the worldgen params, but here I'd guess the caverns might start as low as around 58z. Long way to walk with cave dragon cage (maybe animal stockpile in cavern capture mechanism+ minecart elevator to bring it up).

(Then again, sometimes the first cavern is much higher than other 2, depending on the layout of underground regions.)

Looking @those bedrooms, are you planning on putting workshops adjacant to the central stairwell? Remember that you can lay stockpiles right on it.

Regarding gems being cut without asking, do you have auto cut gems on? Might want to forbid some rough gems in case of a strange mood demanding them.

..Master of situational trades...How good of an architect Asob is? Building designer is great ability to give everyone high quality rooms with, and Glass and Kiln furnaces are one of the few ways to display a craft (as long as the craft is not taken out or forbidden).

69 gold bars in summer, with 1 smelter...Not bad, that's about ...Hold on! Aren't bars produced in multiplies of 4?

@HMetal:

I doubt there are diamonds - I've never dug into one in my forts - but unfortunately there are very few gems that can match the raw modvalue of 30 that cut native gold has, let alone 40 on native aluminium & platinum.

However, you can encrust a single thing of anything with only so much. This is where cut zircons or prase or andesite can come in.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 01:31:03 am »

@HMetal:

I doubt there are diamonds - I've never dug into one in my forts - but unfortunately there are very few gems that can match the raw modvalue of 30 that cut native gold has, let alone 40 on native aluminium & platinum.

However, you can encrust a single thing of anything with only so much. This is where cut zircons or prase or andesite can come in.

There were no diamonds. Only a megaton of others. Being a noob, it's great to have someone slap me in the face about how DF works.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 01:43:41 am »

Yeah, I gathered. Though, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between a noob and an experienced player having inefficient fun, like running autolabor for miners and then designating massive 3D area for channeling, trusting more migrants to arrive to replace the dead, or doing pointless megaprojects like encrusting everything & crowns with everything (a peasant may steal it before you're done, forcing you to start over, though if you succeed I theorize best way vanilla way to display it would be to build a high quality trade depot in leisure area while merchants are sitting in an existing one, bringing the crown into said depot, then walling it in with doors set to internal).

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 01:58:07 am »

Indoor grazing? No problem, I'll just put a ceiling over them :P I know it doesn't affect grass in 43.05 at least.

But yeah awesome I'll keep that in mind. (he says, as his brain swells from the jargon, slowly and embarrassingly exposing his level of "casual player".)

Looking @those bedrooms, are you planning on putting workshops adjacant to the central stairwell? Remember that you can lay stockpiles right on it.

I have noticed that and have yet to really take advantage - I'm used to putting everything in separate rooms. Logistics is hard.

Regarding gems being cut without asking, do you have auto cut gems on? Might want to forbid some rough gems in case of a strange mood demanding them.

I checked the orders several times, it has always listed them as "no auto cut gems" so I dunno what's happening there. I'll mess with it some more.

..Master of situational trades...How good of an architect Asob is?

He's a level 11 architect according to Therapist.

Building designer is great ability to give everyone high quality rooms with, and Glass and Kiln furnaces are one of the few ways to display a craft (as long as the craft is not taken out or forbidden).

Haha what? Clearly I have not surfed the wiki enough.

69 gold bars in summer, with 1 smelter...Not bad, that's about ...Hold on! Aren't bars produced in multiplies of 4?

They are. I used the "select materials for construction" menu to count the bars and it gave me 69. A dwarf might have been hauling a bin with bars in them at the time.

Unless you mean to suggest keas can steal whole bars as well... :o

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 02:15:44 am »

Heh, I'm used to giving everyone one giant sleeping/dining/leisure area and z-leveling workshop clusters with QSPs out from that.

Though, while it is unfortunate for vampires, there are some mechanical advantages with individual bed/dining/leisure rooms, such as relationship/reanimation control, precisely done less distance to travel to work and swim training.

And brief headsup on building designer and room value, then:

The only practical way (well, one of them can put on one crown or some bracelets) to display something for dwarves to view is to make it part of a building, which is the only way other than smoothing/engraving to increase room value also.  Such components can be added after the building is built - however, note that as artifacts cannot be traded, once they're taken out of a building only mechanisms, buckets, chains/ropes, barrels, pipe sections and weapons can be added to any buildings, and you can't get the building designer bonus on weapons (excluding enormous corkscrews) or your typical built artifact furniture.

Architecture is required for some buildings - most significantly in this context, furnaces, bridges, depots, screw pumps and wells.

Every job that requires architecture multiplies the value of the building by architecture job value+builder job value - this can be viewed from (R)ooms menu, though you'll be notified if someone designs/builds a masterpiece as well.

For individual bedrooms, a masterpiece native gold mechanism attached to masterfully designed or built bridge should be almost enough to get the room royal, assuming the room doesn't have any gaps (don't remember if doors counted towards gaps since I prefer hatches) - harder to attain than it sounds.

PS: Oh and keas can totally steal anything regardless of weight, even slade statues. Poorly-handled, a Giant Kea pack can definitely be more dangerous than a Roc.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:27:50 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17