Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 69028 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 09:54:14 am »

You can toggle doors as internal, and so you can have shared bedroom area while having each dwarf their private area for storage (cabinet and chest).

Sure it can be vampire proof, but it will not be were-creature proof.

I see lack of air locks.  Granted, there are no other civs, but with the "FB nightmare" scenario, the place looks vulnerable.

And just gold? Not even copper or silver yet?  Might as well start some chain of wooden spike balls to load weapon traps.

There is a sweet level spot for gem cutters as we want more small gem cuts, than "large gems".

Gold furniture (chest, cabinet, table, throne, door, armor stand, weapon rack) + gem windows, and engraved natural gold floor and walls will make the fort so rich, it will invite fun. 

A cheesy Building Designer grinding would be to design a lot of supports.  Make gold bar supports just to design without actually building gains architecture without spending time to actually build it.

A 2z building with an door on the 2z leading into a maze of cage traps or spiked balls can handle the keas.  The fliers prefer entrances from above, a roofed 2z with a door on the 2z is good enough.  Bonus if you make the 1z a training barracks, those keas who go pass the 2z traps get to meet the armed trainees. 

For bait, mechanism stockpile, maybe minecart stockpile in the basement of this building.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:04:52 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 10:20:31 am »

Is there any use for that storage, though?...I'm not much for cabinets/coffers myself, but I've been given the impression that it is basically a collector of old junk, never to be removed again. Albeit for this succession fort in particular, I suppose it'd help ascertain which dwarves abscond with extra crowns.

Good NoKeas points, there.

I've been wondering but have not had a chance to test: If the only thing a kea/kobold can access is a minecart on a cyclotron through a door that releases the cart, will they try to steal it and will they succeed?

About the richness - I think the standard siege trigger is 80 pop and 100k wealth...However, the first caravan alone is like 60-70k wealth (to buy out, at least). I've never managed to stay below that point myself.

Of course, without neighbours, I think only invites nearby megabeasts - assuming standard "high beasts" init settings of 150/66 titans/megas, all of 5,23 of them (well slightly more cuz ocean).

And then there's the weres and ...I guess buildingdestroyer traps and seals would be prudent.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2016, 11:13:53 am »

I think that 42.06 has dwarfs actually pickup crafts from the stockpile and they wear it on their bodies. 

Cabinets are for clothing, and coffers are for trinkets.  Who wants plain shared dormitory when we have plenty of gold? 

Now, can you stud beds with gold bars?  Or can you just encrust them with gems?

I hope there are gold goblets already being used and not dirt stone mugs or wooden cups.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:54 am »

can you dorf me as onciblu on asob?
Ô_ quack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:35 am »

Wiki's article on studding is rather bare-bones, but I'll test...

...What a pleasant announcement. Less pleasant is how none of my dwarves seem to want to even refuse the job, even when given all metalsmithing when idle, profile checked, Do job now...wtf dudes. Whatever, test embark time!

Wiki suggests clothes too, interestingly.

That said, no reason can't then encrust with native gold as well.

PS: My dwarves are plenty of happy with the shared dormitory of blissful dreams (tho, they drop clothes whenever). But almost all of them complain about lack of mugs :P

@onciblu: Hm, do you plan on RPing/playing?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »

Do we have hemp growing in the region? 
If only we can make sandals, everyone will be wearing hemp robes and sandals only.

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:38 am »

So I've started playing through autumn and have reached the point where the first caravan and the outpost liaison have arrived. Any advice on what trade goods to request? Iron, obviously, but I figured I'd ask here in case there was some other important thing that I might overlook.

(And yes, I have been reading and acting upon some of you guys' ideas, it's just kind of a lot to take in all at once - this is my first succession fort after all :'L)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:02 am »

Ask for steel bars, iron bars, hematite, magnetite, limonite,  and steel bolts. We already have flux (marble). Just gotta dig deep.

PS. Also ask for fruits. Variety of booze.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:25:21 am by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 01:59:28 am »

If going for that list, HMetal, also include pig iron. I'd try to get a platnium bar in case of a hammer-liking weaponsmith mood.

Also? Leather. Unlike ore, leather is light, so much easier to get from caravans than to harvest manually, and in 2 years clothes start to wear out.

Some gypsum plaster would be nice, since you didn't mention it being present at embark. Running tavernfort, so low request for every instrument would be decent (they're a pain to assemble).

I'm assuming wood won't be a problem on this map, however.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 02:49:57 am »

Hold up. Don't dwarves with fey moods only take stuff that they've seen? Like if only gold and copper are available in a fort, they wouldn't ask for bismuth bronze?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:52:43 am by HMetal2001 »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2016, 03:21:42 am »

Journal of HMetal Silverystopped
28 Malachite 500

Dear journal,

Yet another vision. A dwarven hillock besieged by elves. The dwarves were victorious. Then, a human army took over a fortress. 25 dwarves lost their lives defending it. All in this year. We have to strengthen ourselves. For if all dwarvenkind is lost, we would be the last bastion of dwarven pride and greed. We have already industrialized ourselves. We should be able to sustain ourselves. The humans are prone to ambition. So they're willing to attack if we should take a wheel off their wagons. They'd stop at nothing to kill us all, because their ambition drives them to do so. Goblins are prone to great cruelty. They'd gladly take our freedom for their evil causes. They take our children under the guise of "rescuing" them. Elves are so hard-nosed that even if we chop a single tree, they'd start a war over it.

No. We should strengthen ourselves from threats within and without. From a web-spouting beetle made of vomit to a sieging evil force of darkness. We should be able to defend ourselves. Therefore, I have made a request of our overseer to import bars of iron, pig iron, and steel, ores of iron and steel bolts. Also, I'd be willing to enlist in the military. At least I will die with honor.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:39:08 am by HMetal2001 »

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2016, 04:22:46 am »

The Journal of Zefon "Blahsadfeguie" Simplepainted, Woodcutter
2nd Limestone, 500

Naturally, the first thing I ordered was the forging of golden goblets to enhance our dining experience. However, after I gave the order, a few of the dwarves voiced their concerns about the structure of the fortress.

Apparently, the keas will not stop at wooden training axes - they are capable of, and more than willing to, steal gold as well. Asob's suggestion was to bait them in using a highly visible (or just high) two-story building on top of the fortress and fill it with traps. They prefer the "death from above" method apparently.

In the same breath, he insisted that architecture was indeed a useful skill - it's one thing to have a fortress of gold, but it won't look nice if we just slap it all together randomly. Begrudgingly, I had to admit he had a point. Perhaps the King knew what he was doing when he sent him down here after all.

There were a couple other things - adding an additional drawbridge for good measure, putting a roof over the grazers, constructing a tavern, temples, a well... okay, more than a couple. I'll look into those if I have time, but the most important things are to create a booming gold industry and ensure its protection.

But first, another golden-goblet-full of dwarven beer because I'm worth it.

13th Limestone, 500

Work on the kea trap is coming along nicely. To avoid wasting time building a ton of blocks, the bulk of the trap will be underground, as well as the bait itself: a handful of stone mechanisms, which are a dime a dozen. Even if they make it past the traps, nothing of value will be lost.

I have also ordered the construction of a second drawbridge on the other side of the trade depot. When they'll get to it is a different story...

15th Limestone, 500

We were visited by dwarves again today. This time they weren't interested in moving in. This was our first merchant caravan, and with them, the baron consort of Earthenappear, Urvad Figurepeaceful.

My heart raced as I heard the news. We had only just started the final step in production, forging crafts out of the gold. Would the meager goods produced by our inexperienced craftsman be worth enough to purchase the supplies we needed? Would they prove the worth of our fortress to the king? It was far too early; if we had just one more month, we would have so much more to present.

It had also occurred to me that I never assigned a broker. I called a quick fort meeting to determine who would be the most suited for the task. As it turned out, Asob had quite a bit of experience in that field as well. A regular dwarven prodigy, that guy.

The merchants and the representative from Tub Nod have been given the appropriate accomodations and will begin their business tomorrow. My feelings couldn't be more mixed.

Rovod found me in my bedroom, sitting in bed and staring at my shaking hands. It was my turn to receive a comforting gesture.

"Blah, my love..." she said, stroking my shoulders, "I know you're stressed, but just think about it. We have a good fortress going, plenty of food, and more gold than we could ever dream of. What else do we need? What else could the king want from us?"

I took a deep breath and went over the past seven months in my head. She was absolutely right. We had made decent lives for ourselves here. We had a future.

We embraced, and the quivering promptly halted. I will be sleeping just fine tonight.

16th Limestone, 500

First thing in the morning, Urvad Figurepeaceful asked to speak to Udil. I guess they were still under the impression that he was in charge. I had no qualms directing him to his bedroom and quickly heading upstairs to greet the merchants, who had just set up shop.

I informed them that we would have to look the goods over and decide carefully what we wanted to trade over the next few days. They planned on staying for a good while, so they were fine with it. Perfect! That should buy us some time to get a few more things together...

17th Limestone, 500

Udil showed me the trade agreements today. He requested iron bars, steel bars, and three different kinds of iron ore. Don't take my word for it, but I think he wants us to import iron.

Here's what they requested of us:

Some of the stuff makes sense, every dwarf wants a drink, but crystal glass goblets? Can we even make glass here? If I had a coin for every dwarven noble in history with a screw loose, I could buy all the gold under this fortress seven times over.

22nd Limestone, 500

As we were bringing the last of our hastily-prepared crafts to the depot, some of which were of surprisingly high quality, I was informed that we had received more migrants. Great timing! I totally needed the induction of new residents to worry about while saving face!

I don't have a lot of time, so I'll just record their names and professions here for posterity.

Migrants, Autumn 500: 7 dwarves, 2 animals
(F) Iton Paintedutter, Peasant (Claimed to be a "dancer" but what use is that here?)
(M) Lor Doorpainted, Farmer
(F) Medtob Brassfaiths, Bone Carver
(M) Ral Yoreclasps, Architect (Another one! Not nearly as accomplished as Asob, but he does have some training in swordsdwarfship.)
(M) Sibrek Shovedcrystals, Butcher (with equal skill in mechanics, fancy that. Pretty good skill I might add)
(F) Urist Tangleplanks, Carpenter
(F) Urist Tradetested, Farmer (Two Urists... Armok help us all.)
Horse foal, Gosling

23rd Limestone, 500

Good news on the trading front today: we scored, big time!

Turns out even the small amount of crafts we had were worth a fortune - enough for us to buy out everything they had that was made out of iron, and quite a bit of steel as well. Most of it will be melted down into bars so that we can outfit our future military with gold-studded steel armor. We will be a force to be reckoned with!

I also picked up some glass, bolts, booze, and various types of food. It'll be nice to have a meal that isn't plump helmets for once. The merchants were happy to throw them into the deal. Just the mere sight of our gold jewelry was enough to send them into a frenzy. Gentledwarves, I do believe this is the dawn of a glorious and profitable future.

I might have accidentally sold the goblets along with the crafts though... They were all in the same bin, simply because "they fit". Not my decision. Oh well. Won't be hard to forge some more!

4th Sandstone, 500

In order to keep tabs on all the goods we just brought in, I will have to bite the bolt and assign a bookkeeper. Urist Tangleplanks seems like as good a candidate as any. Now to build her an office so she can get to work taking stock of everything.

10th Sandstone, 500

Urist's office has been built and she made short work of our inventory. 142 gold bars! 213 units of drink! 2 body parts! Wait, what?

Oh, they're just leftovers from the hoary marmot Rovod brought in way back in spring. This Urist really has spared no expense...

15th Sandstone, 500

Urgh... Armok, I need a drink.

Sibrek, the new butcher, spotted a giant kea, not an hour after the miners began digging out the basement of the kea trap. Those bastards seem to be flocking above the entrance to our fortress, terrorizing anyone who so much as dares to step foot on the surface. Dwarves scattered everywhere, and I swear I saw one of our ducks up a tree.

I rushed downstairs and told Rovod to drop everything and head to the entrance to take care of it, but when she showed up, she wasn't wearing her quiver. Did... did she take me literally...? I see she did take a liking to the steel crossbow we had acquired from the merchants, so there's that.

I told her to stop fooling around and get some ammo already. She... went a ways south from the fortress, dropped her crossbow, right there on the grass, and went inside, nearly tripping down the stairs.

Half furious, half curious, I followed her downstairs, past the stockpiles, all the way down to the dining hall where she was already guzzling down another goblet of dwarven ale. Of course! She was already wasted beyond measure. Of all the days...

When she was done, she resumed business as usual, grabbing a stack of logs from outside and drunkenly hauling them in... By that time, the keas were gone.

Datan Kilrudkadol! I love that woman, but she could stand to have a little more self-control.

19th Sandstone, 500

Guess what I found out was missing today?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24th Sandstone, 500

Charcoal production is too slow to meet our ever-increasing demand, so I've ordered a second one be built. That one will belong to Ral, the amateur architect.

Don't look at me. Asob's idea.

11th Timber, 500

Work on the kea trap has been doubled ever since the incident with the crossbow. Everything is nearly complete, the only thing left is to install the spike ball traps.

I found Urist (the bookkeeper) sleeping in the building on the surface, which reminded me - in all the merchant worries, I had forgotten to dig bedrooms for our newest migrants! I'll get on that right away.

23rd Timber, 500

While watching Sibrek tote the mechanisms and wooden spike balls one at a time to their new locations, it has occurred to me that this will take forever. I could tell everyone who's available to help, but I don't want to put the entire fortress on halt while we trip over each other to get these dangerous objects in the right place. There's always so much to do, so little time.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:33 am »

Nobles menu -> Select Udil -> (r)eplace with Zefon.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2016, 05:50:22 am »

Careful with roof + apple tree saplings for cider. I recall the existence nasty bug with trees growing into constructions that I have thankfully not be crashed by yet but is somthing of a problem.

Snrk on that scene with Rovod. For, ah, probably unintentional reference.

the quivererereing

A kea is seen, carrying away a quiver

Speaking of which, you totally added Rovod to military squad without disabling her hunting labour or ensuring enough bolts available for both hunting and military?

Is Urist Tangleplanks better than the current Carpenter?

Little worried about the two farmers modding as Tanner...

PS: A kea can fly faster than a trap can jam across linear path, at least. While there's diagonal on the corner, put some cage traps at the end perhaps (giant kea, at least, do have some meat on them).

However, if you want to make it go faster make the appropriate item stockpiles be near the traps, then build the traps taking the closest items.

PPS: Keas might try to steal the components unless stopped by locked hatch/door.

LegendaryTyper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2016, 09:39:56 am »

This is indeed a pretty cool succession game (sigh)

I regret to say that unfortunately i wasn't able to launch the save no matter what i did ( I blame apple corp)
this means i quit.......... :'( :'( :'(
sorry everyone.

Anyway since i won't be able to lead the fortress i put forth some of the ideas i had for this fort for others to complete if they wish.

1- Equip EVERY DWARF with a weapon of some sort by "recruiting" every dwarf into an inactive squad thus everyone will carry a weapon at all times while still doing useful work.

2- A bunker with soil or irrigated stone to safeguard for the future (with a still of course!).

3-Dwarwen Atom Smashers everywhere.

4-Cheese .

5-More Cheese.

Urist approved
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17