Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 69033 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2016, 01:54:30 pm »

Can probably get away with 10x10 retracting bridges made of gold (or glass) with 1-wide framing (made of gold) into 3x3 grid of 10x10s.
This is not quite 1,000 gold bars since 10x10 bridges are not really 100 bars.

With 18 pop, I can now see 2 kea slayers, 4 miner/engravers, 4 miner/mechanics, 4 miner/masons/engravers, 4 wood cutter/axe lord/herbalist teams initially.
Miners with copper picks are formidable.  Then change up to select metalsmiths and metal crafters: gold, silver, and electrum alloys.

I do prefer to have 2 marksdwarves ready for any kea slaying, even if they are stationed for an entire season over the wagon.

Oh, this is 42.06, can use wood axes to clear cut while a select few make coals and make copper picks.

So tentative projects:
- Drop the Earth Sky Lights Indoor Orchard
- Indoor Plumbing, Bathtub, Hospital and Luxury Jail Suites
- And maybe a Bonus Surprise

I'm already thinking like a contractor.  I can build it, but you do the clean up and decorating after.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »

Retracting are what I'd use too, but they'd make the area count as inside even when retracted in my tests :p

8 engravers, 12 miners is ...surprising, need 10 extra. Perhaps pick the ones that would be neat for military afterwards? Unfortunately, I think at least one of the current existing miners has like 3 disease resistance.

And yeah, that sounds good. Sign me up, Scotty.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2016, 03:40:20 pm »

I am thinking they only retract during civilian burrow alerts. 

And yeah, miners are just to buff them up for military later.  It does not hurt to have a weapon (pick/axe) as civilians.  Unless we want copper armors?

Collapsing ~31x31 worth of 5z-7z of floors would cut down on stone hauling, but a good +miner skill up.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »

...Only retract when you're being attacked? Uh...That might be crazy enough to work if everyone was inactive marksdwarf with silver/copper bolts.

Nonetheless, I assume you meant the other way around, but neither state makes a difference to adaptation.

31x31 is about the size of the leisure areas I tend to make. Can even build beds in the shade provided by trees canopies, insecure as it may be :P

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2016, 04:58:05 pm »

Well, you know, the name brings inspiration... Welcome to Deathgame!

update: I got the game, extracted and am able to play no problem.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:12:46 pm by Sanctume »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 11:04:22 pm »

Must've been a Mac problem. Typer forgot to bring his Windows laptop for his vacation. 

Also, the name wasn't randomly generated. I made the name myself.

Also, anyone can draw here?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2016, 01:42:39 am »

Sign me up, Scotty.
So you're in?
My dwarven skull is very thick.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2016, 02:12:22 am »

I am brought inspiration more by architecture, but yeah I'm in.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2016, 03:12:11 am »

(Read in a James Doohan voice)
Aye Captain. Welcome aboard the USS Deathgame.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2016, 06:11:37 am »

Hey guys, please mint commemorative coins for each year from any metal EXCEPT iron and steel from this year and onwards.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2016, 02:26:29 pm »

Introduction: The Manager

Granite, 501

The early spring of this lizard infested forest is affecting the cheerfulness nature of Sanctume Tradetested.  Sanctume is a dabbling organizer who applies for the Manager position in this, Outpost Deathgame, because the lucrative Gelders Union jobs is non-existent here.  She arrived just last autumn and the current population of 18 is a healthy start for a thriving community in need of a noble Manager.

Upon attaining the noble position of Manager for a one year contract, it is time to work on raising her organizational skills by first looking at the personnel roster. 

Blahsadfeguie is our expedition leader and will be busy cutting down trees that block the sky (and trees that house lizards, I might add).  He will definitely need extra wood cutters eventually so ‘Woodcutter’ Zan is added to the ranks of wood cutters.

I then commissioned a couple of wood burners: Asmel and Ral to churn out charcoal for the rest of their dwarfy lives.

HMetal’ and Erush are our current miners that will start excavating the perimeter of The Orchard, and my “bonus surprise” project.  But this digging will be after digging out all the tetrahedrites found in vein z112.  I want to make use of copper and silver soon.

‘Forge’ Asen is the master of the forge that will take care of our metal work needs.

Onciblu’ our broker will join ‘Mason’ Nish to make plenty of gabbro blocks.  An outdoor construction will need plenty of building materials.  I sure will not make log walls only for lizards to live in.  I dislike lizards.

‘Carp’ Carpenter Morul, and record keeper Urist L will handle wood workings.

‘Cmdr’ Rovod, our militia commander will continue hunting once we make more ammo.  She will be joined by ‘Kea’ Iton in her pursuit to also be a great hunter.  Kea is an honorable title for those who wield crossbows to protect us from flying vermins such as keas.  Unfortunately, Cmdr Rovod stared me to shame, so I will only give the titles to would be crossbow recruits such as Iton.

‘Farmer’ Fath will handle whatever farm plots are seeded, but will most likely focus on gathering plants. 

‘Cook’ Lor is assigned as the cook, although there will be no cooking done any time soon.  He will work on the hauling needs.

‘Mech’ Medtob will continue making mechanisms.

I, Sanctume, your administrator will want an office excavated soon.  I will also help out making booze in between drinking and sleep, oh and managing orders.

Chapter 1: The Projects

Speaking of drinks, we have 93 drinks and 613 food stores.  This is not acceptable!  Carpenters, make me beds and barrels until I say otherwise--we have plenty of logs.

I look over our mighty military squad, "The Tongs of Appearing" which is composed of her lonesome self, Cmdr Rovod who sporting a plain copper crossbow.  The tetrahedrite vein must be harvested now so that we have some weapon grade alloys to work with.  I did not express my sadness at this sad state, so I try to gain favor of Cmdr Rovod as I explained that I will ensure more bolts are made soon so she can resume hunting.

We have no hospital, and Miner Erush is the most qualified novice diagnostician.  Congratulations Chief Medical Dwarf Erush!  I hope no one becomes injured this year.  I estimate the hospital project to start after summer, at least I hope to get to working on it in my schedule.

Since my office is not yet available, I removed all non-critical stockpiles except for wood, ores, and food, and begin making some booze.

Project: Stone Clean Up

This will be quite a huge task, and it is a good thing I want plenty of gabbro blocks.  The masons will set a temporary shops to make use of all the stones into blocks in excavated rooms.

First, the room nearest the entrance hall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next, the room across The Cloud Monastery temple which is crowded with worshiping chickens, ducks, turkeys and dogs.  The fanatic Ral seems to hangout here a lot.  There is also a tunnel leading to an attempt to breach for water.  I have stopped this silliness. 

And by the forge area which works initially, and must be upgraded to specialized areas eventually for the sake of organizing.

Speaking of forge, I cancelled the current smelting order, including the pig iron.  It would be a mistake to make all the iron bars into into pig iron.  That is why this place needs a manager to validate each work order.  We must not let rogue furnace operators go on a wild smelting spree.

Project: The Orchard

I designated my plans for The Orchard.  It is the maximum size for a pasture zone.  I plan to drop the piece of earth, hopefully with the trees intact, down below the stone level, and build the frames for future skylights above.  I did order for the highwood and ginko trees to be cut and leave edible fruit and nuts.

Project: Bonus Surprise

I also might as well designate plans for my bonus surprise project.  It's a secret, so no images but the miners, engravers, masons and mechanics will be plenty busy.

Side Project: Nestbox Area

I also redesign the rather luxurious nest box area.  We have fowls, so that should lessen the need to plant.  Add a milk and cheese station, butcher and tanner, and a garbage disposal system.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:12:26 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2016, 02:52:09 pm »

Huh, a welcome update. Managing booze....Which has higher priority, validating a new order or brewing a new drink?

Rovod is cute

Erush...Better not autocavein.

Regarding pig iron, are you going to set up a workflow system for steel?

Btw, regarding the Orchard: While it'd make sense for them to remain, all the trees in it will disappear. Choppity chop (and perhaps dirt road the saplings for double safety).

Miners, engravers, mechanics, masons...yeah, this will be cool, I just hope the surprise isn't bridge repeater with no off button :P

Since Lor won't be cooking any time soon, I take it the fowls will explode?

PS: Regarding those wall/door setups, surprised at you using them - the likely enemies will be thieves, vampires, werebeasts and megabeasts.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »

I don't plant to touch the iron/steel.  We have 9 iron, 1 pig iron, 1 steel. 

Copper weapons / tools for now, no armor.  But copper studded with gold seems to work ok, hehe.  We got bling weapons!

Yeah, I do not know what will happen after I collapse the surface dirt + dirt 1z level below it -- down to maybe z-4 or 5.

No repeater, it is a far simplier ******* project.

I just went for eggs.  Plus hunters for meat and leather.  And plant gatherers.

Re: bedrooms? I just followed the existing bedroom design.  Besides, it is peaceful here (for now), hehe.

Now that I think of it, I may have to create a faster shared bedroom with private storage since it is taking too long to smooth the current bedrooms.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2016, 04:11:18 pm »

Hm. Are you putting any cool images on the weapons?

Btw, when you collapse, I expect the soil will turn to red sand. Height should probably be sufficient to easily roof over however high the trees will grow there, not that it will happen any time soon.

7 letters...not what I expected.

Btw, I believe eggs are not edible raw, hence the q about cooking.

Regarding bedrooms....What was the smooth+engraving value addition to room anyway? I usually go for building bling instead.

Though, speaking of that effort, if I have time I might end up relocating dwarves close to their workshops with swim training in their sleep. Untested, but thinking of something like this:

~F^F_
####BD^

F=Linked floodgate, B=Bed, D=Door.

As bonus, should also be vampire safe (they won't take jobs in 4+ water).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:14:44 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2016, 04:30:00 pm »

I'm about caught up on the next chapter where I stopped when autumn saves.

Yes, I have one sample weapon + gold stud job at least. 

I will let you play with water, which should be my priority in autumn before the freeze so we have water below ground.  I will make sure to have plumbling for water projects.

I hope no vampires in year 2, so not my problem, haha.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17