Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 68692 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2016, 09:57:39 am »

It's crafting time!  Chop those trees. Burn those logs.  Smelt those golden nuggets.

Hey, there are four craftsdwarf's workshop above here, maybe if we remove the pasture wall, we can use the hatch down to the gold smelters.

ooc - Page 1 links are working ok.  Looking good.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2016, 03:28:20 pm »

Links are links! And with that true statement, I bring you a short instalment:

It's crafting time!  Chop those trees. Burn those logs.  Smelt those golden nuggets.

Hey, there are four craftsdwarf's workshop above here, maybe if we remove the pasture wall, we can use the hatch down to the gold smelters.
So said Sanctume at the gathering.

'Burn those logs? I'd love to...Going to need magma, though. ' thought Medtob K Helddown, a professional miner by trade. 'Tunneling through the whole mountain....A project more than worthy of me.'

And so she walked over to Rith Tealkeys, his younger sister and  fellow professional miner.

"Hey, Tealkeys. I have an idea for a project."

"Some nonsensical grand monument again?"

"Grand indeed! But not nonsensical, this time. I want to bring magma up here. Asmel has worked so long creating hundreds of charcoal that he's legendary, but that leaves him no time for other jobs or even leisure. And yet, we have no decent armor."

"...That's quite good idea, dear older sister of mine." says Rith, and gives Medtob a peck on the cheek.

"Now, lets start tunneling into the deep!"

"Ah...Ah, I should ask Asen to make some way to bring the magma up?"

"Hey, Asen? Can you make me some magma-safe minecarts?"

"Sure can for the miners of The Faint Ring, but what for?"

"I want to bring some magma near us from the depths so that we may forge better."

At this, Sanctume joins in "A good idea, but you're going to need more than just magma. I'll put in a word."

"Thanks!" finishes Medtob and runs off after her sister.

. . .

Two days later, while the words of Sanctume still ring in air, farmer Lolor stops.

There's a strange glint in the eyes of a random passerby living at fortress. Manager or something? Feh, friendships are rather pointless when you can have family. but...

"Well, never mind learning about making armor, miss manager. Where are you running now?"

A dilemma. Lolor didn't know this random possessed lady, but he supposed he could help him get some nice rock.
"Here, have some gold."

Spoiler: And...Success! (click to show/hide)
May it be viewed on a pedastal eternally!

By, uh, our archers?

(There's grates above.)

To celebrate the event, gold has been allowed for every stonecrafting job.

Ultimately, by the end of granite, two thirds of dwarves who set out to mood have dabbled a bit in craft to learn a skill to be spirited with.
 . . .

Three weeks since thoughts of deforestation were aired the underground highway is proceeding apiece

(Granted, the sisters are not the ones laying tracks)

The stone sounds hollow, and a peek reveals muddy and expansive cavern deep underground!

"Whew. " says Medtob, sweaty from...the digging. "So much water.....Have you ever seen so much water, sister?"

Rith answers: "No, but I've heard there is even greater sea to the south."

"Don't know what lurks there. For now, better wall it up. After that, I'm meditating."

Rith puts her pick aside and gives Medtob a full-body hug, looking up at her: "Okay. I'll keep digging myself, but maybe lets take a bath together after that?"

"Maybe" smiles Medtob.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:39:31 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2016, 05:05:15 pm »

Praise the bed maker, Carp Morul!
Seriously? Why not a gold scepter?

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2016, 10:55:24 pm »

Praise the bed maker, Carp Morul!
Seriously? Why not a gold scepter?
At least it's better than a wombat bone bin and gabbro earrings.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:17:41 am by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:34 pm »

Because you like figurines, Sanctume!

Usefulness versus bone bin...On the one hand, bin actually does something (I never produce any, so I keep forgetting to turn off bins on stockpiles :p).

On the other hand, you can acquire a figurine.

A manager and broker walk alongside each other, hauling.

"So, I've heard you created an artifact?" asks Onclibu.

"Yeah, I did. Broadpainted the Massive Rhytms is something I'm proud of. But I do owe a bit to Lolor guiding me to proper materials."

"You must be wonderful stonecrafter, now? I've greated few masterworks, myself, though I'm probably inferior to you now."

"Alas, I wish. Sadly, the spirits that posssessed me have completely left my body."

. . .

Come the start of summer, Onclibu sees one of the dabbling weaponsmiths grows secretive.

Onclibu guides them to a steel bar and tells them to get to work.

Expect...

(*sigh*)

Onclibu goes to ask the resident weaponsmithing expert.

"Hey, Asen. It looks like we're going to get a great weaponsmith?"

"Are we now? How ...great." The words of Asen Helmedkindling are full of disdain.

"Thanks for informing me that I'll be obsolete."

"Hey, take it easy. You can focus more on your primary metalcrafting, now. But Imush refuses steel. How good is a rose gold pick?"

"Artifact steel pick would have been awesome for HMetal. But rose gold ...?

"Even with twice the weight behind each swing...No. Take the rose gold bar out of his hands."

"Iron is the metal all other metals came from, and it is what they'll return to in the abscene of anything."

Come summer, Onclibu organizes a meeting:

"...And so, we need to pick what to trade."

"Trap components? I like trap components, and they're quite valuable." sounds out Olon Sensetreaties. 4 other dwarves are seen nodding alongside her.

At this, commander Rovod protests: "But if we forge them, we'll have to make do with worse gear to defend ourselves."

"While I don't care about them myself, we could make them out of silver or copper." says Asen.

"Perhaps," nods Onclibu. "But are there any other options?

Fath speaks up: "It would be only proper to make use of the plentiful plants here. With all our  gatherers, we might get thousand plants in a season. I can even ensure that they'll be stacked together."

"Your help is appreciated, Fath, but I belive I can offer a better alternative," says Lolor with a greedy smile. "Cooking is a fine art, and I'm master at it - only surpassed by my growing skill. Lets us harvest and process sweet pods for syrup roast. "

"But what about all the tree fruits?" questions Fath.

"Eh, brew them and dump the useless seeds."

Sanctume nods: "I can ensure plentiful drink stock, like I always have. "

"That does sound better, Lolor. Do you think you would be able to manage it?"

"Absolutely " grins Lolor. "I take pride in my work."

"Sounds good. But I think we ought to get some protein too, though. " comments Malakor ShovedCrystal.

"Absolutely! " roars Nomal Toolbowls. "I've spent two season without fishing anything! I demand recognizition for my skills!"

Medtob K waves her down. "I can work on a secure fishing area for you, deep in earth. And how about you bred some poults for meat, Malakor?"

"It better be soon" threatens Nomal.

"Sounds good to me" comments Malakor.

"Then we are adjourned. Lets move out, dwarfs." finishes Onclibu.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:14:17 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:43 pm »

You could have forbid all bars except steel via stock / book keeper.
A rose gold pick, that's not bad.  Can use in a weapon trap and give +value to any shared room.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:59 pm »

I prefer to use burrows and used one to pick other 4 materials, and also overlaid it with a steel bar - however, as Imush's description states, he likes rose gold, and wouldn't start working till I gave him some, just sitting in workshop demanding.

And eh, pure room value the 120 multiplier of artifacts doesn't compete well with trap components*designed room. This pick is worth 67200 suns, but a masterwork steel corkscrew is already 23760 before building designer bonus.

Mayor Stinthad GraniteMuscles. This is probably the first you've heard of him, but she has been holding the reins in Deathgate for over a year.

"That's quite the lengthy reply. How did he come to rule?"

"I'm not sure, exactly. Originally, HMetal SilveryStopped was set to lead the expedition.Her usurpation of the position as Deathgate's leader after his moving there in 502th's Hematite went without much note - all I got from her was a letter 'Became mayor of site. A difficult position, but one I'll tackle. Don't like being separated from you, though, join?' "

"I see you didn't, however. Any reason why?"

"I prefer more estabilished fortresses. But maybe I will join later, or just visit their library."

"Perhaps indeed. Still, this interview is about Stinthad. What can you tell me about their rule?"

"First, Sinthad is calm, quiet and private person. She never make any mandates. Ever. Though if you were to bring her a gift, an animal trap would be suitable."

"Sounds like someone you wouldn't mind holding the reins. But what about the specifics?"

"Despite stepping down, she still takes some cues from HMetal. The latests news I got from caravan was that in 502 40 migrants arrived. "

"40? Wasn't it supposed to be 41?"

"Yeah, I know. Stinthad mentioned that she saw a great and large migration wave at start of Slate, including half a dozen great artisans, but then the world shook, it suddenly vanished in a mirage, it was Granite again, and the wave that arrived was just full of novices."

"...I must say, I'm flabbergasted by this turn of events. I hope the missing dwarf is fine, wherever they are. Still, what were they to do?"

"The way Stinthad tells it? 3 got jobs as carpenters, another 3 as masons, two as mechanics, with one of each of glassmaking, gem cutting, clothing and beekeeping, with rest put to learn a bit of metalsmithing and generally constructing buildings plus whatever they were decent at. "

"The way about I hear it, there were quite a lot of fishers among them, though?"

"Yeah, full fifth of them were fishers. An exception to the rule. They were told to come in till fishing facilities are setup, then one sixth were made carpenters and one quarter told to treat wounded."

"I heard Deathgate was estabilished in untamed wilds. Are there many wounded?"

"No, not at all. I know of only 3. However, Stinthad quite values martial prowess, prefers to delegate and has go-getter subordinates."

"Interesting. Who is the right hand of Deathgate?"

"She is not one to make such proclaiments. However, each subordinate handles and delegates aspect of the fortress. Here's a quick sheet I noted from letters:"

PositionName
Archery CaptainRovod Glazecrews
Melee CaptainHMetal Silverystopped
Chief MedicAstesh Priceglove
Mood managerMedtob Brassfaiths
BrokerOnciblu Guildsport
Pick prospectorRith Tealkeys
Husband/layoutIteb Inkedpaged
Art designerMech Inkedthunders
Arguing scholarMalakor Shovedcrystals

"Ten people, for fort of hundred people...each with ten subordinates each?"

"More or less. Some positions vary,  some people are children."

"Neat. But who would you say is most likely to replace Stinthad?"

"It's possible HMetal will step back up come Granite. However, though the appointment was at whim the Baron Trader Litast Razorfondled might decide to take an active role themselves."

"A whimsical appointment?"

"Yeah. Stinthead was put on the spot. "

"So, he went to the dining room, asked who wanted to be a baron, and picked the first one who didn't give a damn. It may be that Litast is humble, or it may be that she just doesn't care about personal possessions. Either way, her hands will likely not lay waste to any dwarves. "

"Lets hope so. Has she gotten to make any choices? "

"First, she had commemorative coins minted in her honor."

"Second, she got to trade with merchants while Onclibu looked over her shoulder to improve her social skills. Became a professional at negotiation, comedy and appraising. "

"Ooh. What did she request?"

"Mostly the usual. Smithing components, clothes, selection of clothing materials that dwarves like at fortress, some valuable leather, gypsum plaster. Malakor got her to put in a request for quires and scrolls as well, and somebody requested cranberries for brewing. "

"I take it the fortress has no iron."

"It doesn't. Plentiful marble and gold, however."

"How did trading for that go this year?"

"Stinthead said that they now have, and I quote, "hundreds of bags.". Cloth, leather, sheet, metal and instruments were also obtained. "

"That is pretty valuable. What did they give in return?"

"Oh, just two minecarts full of food."

"I heard they're the most popular stuff around here, now. The merchants liked them so much they wanted more next year, amongst other things."

"They're worth it" smiles the interviewer.

"Thank you for your time, this will certainly feature when I write a book describing The Faint Ring." 

"In exchange?"

"In exchange, lets dine on those syrup roasts together. And fame, of course."

End of recording

. . .

Rith swings pick, and stone falls away. She has found second expansive cavern, this time healthy.

"Better wall it up....Ooh, a nice and soft place to stand."

"Oops."

Still, by 9th Malachite, pick was swung to break through warm stone.

1:
2:
3:
4:

"Okay, lets set up a loading system."

....Come autumn, it finally takes shape. Nobody wants to go that far away.

(I feel silly to make it powerless then end up using power anyway. Oh well.)

Meanwhile, up above, Blahsadfeguie Simplepainted, professional woodcutter, leads deforestation efforts.

Helped by Sakzul Vesselcaves,

Mezuth Praisedshield,

Litast Razorfondled and Lolor Lightningearth.

Die, trees!

Cross the distance.

Malakor whistles.

Malakor strikes.

"Are we fort of dwarves?"

"Or are we fort of animals?"

"Come here, watch...Stand under here, I'll cut off your neck you pretty."

"Hey, Malakor."

"Hey, HMetal."

"Caging poults?"

"Well, you wanted meat" smiled HMetal.

. . .

On the other side of fortress, a food complex is being set up.

Lone Farmer's shop.

Loom, Kitchen, Butcher.

Clothier, Still, Tanner, Fisher, Craftsdwarf, Leather works.

Water rushing in

From the river.

"About fucking time you purring maggots" harrumphs Nomal Toolblows.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:32:39 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2016, 08:47:57 pm »

Mayor Stinthad GraniteMuscles. This is probably the first you've heard of him, but she has been holding the reins in Deathgate for over a year.

--
"I'm not sure, exactly. Originally, HMetal SilveryStopped was set to lead the expedition.Her usurpation of the position as Deathgate's leader after his moving there in 502th's Hematite went without much note - all I got from her was a letter 'Became mayor of site. A difficult position, but one I'll tackle. Don't like being separated from you, though, join?' "

--
"I heard Deathgate was estabilished in untamed wilds. Are there many wounded?"

--
"Interesting. Who is the right hand of Deathgate?"

We're cursed.  We're cursed!

Awesome ballista deforestation. 

And yeah, I forgot to close tighly those nestbox doors.  Meat and turkey leather for all!

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2016, 05:07:30 am »

Journal of HMetal Silverystopped, Miner
15 Malachite, 502

I swear. This new mayor of ours looks familiar. VERY familiar. Oh right.
Last night, in a dream, I remember her mandating the production of 2 large gems. I was overseeing operations. We already had several golden ones, and her hunger was satiated. THEN, she banned the export of said gems. And she banned the export of CATAPULT PARTS. Why'd we ever do such a thing? Also large gems CAN guarantee more iron ore from Tun Deg's caravans. Nobles never make sense. Of course, if I ever breathe my opinions in the halls here, I'd get hammered. So I write them here, dear journal.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:15 pm »

...*pfft* That's so funny, I'm leaving it in. Just say that the interviewer was confused about another fortress with similar name.

You didn't forget. In my previous update, I sealed making egg roasts in favour of KFC myself.

Yeah, HMetal, Stinthad forbid the export of animal traps for myself - though this was after caravan left, so not included :P
Nobody's getting hammered, tho.
(Speaking of not included: I forgot to trade away the split coins I used to train our baron, so left the depot standing for now so they can be traded away next year with shift-enter. They melt in magma, though, so pushing them into one spot with water and then dumping magma on top is a possibility.)

Also, I'm up to 502-11-13 now actually. Lots of hours of playing, but I prefer to show results after they've been done.

Which ran into some snags, such as installing 60 pressure plates wrong so that they don't trigger and linking them all up. ...Don't think I'll have enough time to finish rooms for everyone, but I can give an update, though some of it IS in progress.

In the spring, Monom Pagedduty arrived. Truly, there isn't more altruistic, tolerant and merciful dwarf.

"I want to help people! I want to help heal them!" she says to Astesh Priceglove. "Are you not the chief medical dwarf?"

"I am indeed. How can I help you?"

"Can you point me to the hospital?"

"We don't have one yet. I must confess, I've been lax with pushing for one."

"Lets make one right now?"

"Hey, Morul Floorwayward. Can you please make some traction benches for a hospital?" asks Monom.

Morul smiles: "I'm happy that you ask. I'll need tables and ropes. I know a friend who can make some."

"I can make some wooden ones myself. Oh, and there must be running and cleansing water!" exclaims Monom and runs off.

Morul looks after her, then walks off to meet acquitances.

"Hey, Ingish Sprinkledcrafts. Can you make some tables for me to put into the hospital? And hatches would be nice as well." quests Morul.

"Hey! Don't tell me what to do!" pushes Ingish Morul away.

"I can tell you what to do longer than you can ignore me." grins Morul.

"..." Ingish.

"Hey, guys, we need a clothier for some ropes" opens Astesh without so much as greeting.

"What for?" asks Ral T LockedPalace.

"Indeed?" questions Minkot Walleddot.

"For...uh, rollers? And Traction benches?"

"I'm engraving deep within earth...But I suppose I can spare the time eventually" says Ral T.

"I'll make you ten...no, twenty! " laughs Minkot. "But in exchange...Make the hospital right under where we train, capiche? I love myself a good war."

'What a friendy laugh,' gulps Astesh.

Rith measures. "Okay, two by three by ten by two ...Not very exciting, I must admit it."

"Well no, it isn't." says Astesh. "Thanks for doing it, though."

"Yeah....Oi, you idlers! We need some  water in here!"

(It was fun seeing third the fort carrying water, but forgot about a shot of it)

"And make way for a well!"

"Sure will" asserts Rovod. "10 below for ten above...I feel much safer, thanks."

"Indeed. The mist and water will cleanse you when you're injured. After all, if it was hurtful, fish wouldn't live there" winks Monom.

"I'll treat people as needed on the beds, tables and benches above, with bagful of plaster on the side." says Astesh.

"And for violent patients, there are seals next to stockpiles to prevent escape."

"And, of course, us, right above. Right, Rovod?"

"Right. Speaking of which...."

First challenger to kill the fortress came less than two weeks into year: Minotaur Nosmul ǔnuxu En Rukku. Minotaurs are fearsome beasts who can slaughter entire surface industries with a left sock.

Well, lets see how HMetal def....

Nevermind.

It doesn't want to kill dwarves anyway. Look, a Cow Moose!

..actually, they're both tired and not at all injured....

"Okay, guys, I'm up. Lets go kill the Minotaur!" said HMetal. And off they went.

...By the time horseplay was screwed, the minotaur finally caught the moose. Real unfortunate, that. Never got a single blow off on any dwarves.

Rest in peace.

. . .

As for the moose?

"Kill."

. . .

Second challenge was a bit more brothersome: Pack of 9 keas on 21st Slate.

After 3 sneaked into pasture , the marksdwarves got a job to watch the sky.

After this slaughter, there should be only mere 15 keas remaining in the area.

Third challenge was yet another thief:

"I can handle it," says HMetal...And goes off to eat.

"...Alright, everybody inside!"

"We will shoot it to death!" yells commander Rovod.

Then a passing overseer comes

gets in a fight

yells

...And coup the grace.

Overall, the marksdwarves quite like training.

Beneath winter sky that no longer lets titans enter.

"I'd rather not be the only one that stands between danger and our archers," says HMetal. "Rotting danger, corrupting danger - our most fearsome enemies will not contest with mere hooves and horns. Injuries are to be expected. As such, I want 9 of you that can best resist infection for quick strike force."

"Hold on, SilveryStopped. As your mayor and foremost armorer, I ask what do you want them to be wearing?"

"Steel armor and picks...If we get some metal of the gods, I'd want it covering their body."

"I'll...see if I can get Rith to manage the bluemetal. But an armed fortress is safe fortress. I think that while your service has been exceptional, we should also ensure some civil defence. Lets celebrate our martial prowess"

"

"What would they be wearing, though?"

"Oh, I guess same as our archers?"

"Wait a bit" steps in Malakor Shovedcrystals with a smile. "Sure, the outfit they have is good, but perhaps we will run out of leather?"

Mosus Mirrorseal pops up: "Hahahaha, what vomit covering. We're drowning in leather; I'm already professional leatherworker. I can be as wasteful with it as I want - we will not run out. "

"Oh, that's great to hear, Mosus. But you only one person, with mining orders to boot, surely our citizens will be outfitted more quickly with multiple people?"

"The works I produce last -"

"I can already see you two arguing, Mosus and Malakor. What are you proposing, dwarf Mirrorseal?" interrupts Stinthad.

"After butchering our poults, we will have lots of bones. Lets weave that and our existing ones into bone armor, and keep leather for armor, boots, clothes, quivers and waterskins. Additionally, have them carry wooden shields and bows to ensure safety, with ammo added later."

"Approved. Same outfit will work for Tongs of appearing, I guess, with minor tweak of copper crossbows. We have legendary weaponsmith, lets have him make them."

"As for Lightning Picks, I'll ensure the least sickly people will be supporting you, HMetal. Let me produce a list..."

. . .

Kumil Pricedglaze
Carpenter Monom Pagedduty
Stinthad Greatsling
Beekeeper Erith workshadows
Logem Crestedstakes
Cook Lor Doorpainted
Miller Zuglar Hamejewel
Spearman Rakust LashAbyss
Mason Nish

"Ensure they get trained."

"I'll see about their mining skill, and ask Rovod for a bit of help on other fronts" gulps HMetal.

. . .

"Nish, you can't be Captain of the Guard anymore."

"What! Why? Is this something warsome again? I'm a keeper of peace!"

"Yes. I have need of you. Please help keep Deathgame peaceful?"

Hospitalizing: On 27th Malachite, mysterious injury on Asmel, yet again.

Was she standing on a hatch while Thob went through it?

It's that giant coati again!

Striking against her once more from beyond the grave!

"Is there anybody at all who would be willing to recover Asmel and feed her while she recovers?"

*crickets*

Over twenty medics, and none moves.

Eventually, Asmel gets up on her own:

She is clearly bitter.
So much that she left her only son behind, wandering off.

Such outburst can only be met by ... "Don't lose hope!" claims Rakust.

"I'll help you as well." says Thob.

Months pass, and mayor consort Iteb Inkedpaged comes to demand "So, I heard from my squadmate about you working on ropes for rollers...How long it takes to weave them?"

"Oh, someday" answers Medtob. "Say, why-"

Iteb leaves.

. . .

"A great idea, there. But eh, it is not just rollers. pumps and power train and components....The whole thing should be done by end of summer?"

"End of summer?! Two seasons to build ten screw pumps?"

"Eh, we like to drink, and haul and eat and sleep and do many other jobs...."

"Can't you build them right now?!"

"Calm down a little. See, building them isn't more important than digging this low-priority square."

And Iteb is left fuming.

'I'll ask my wife to get us some more architects. These delays are unacceptable.'

. . .

19th Galena

"Hey, Commander Rovod. Sorting through Morul's shield pile, I see?" asks Minkot

"Yeah. You just idling now? How's the production going?"

"Pretty much. No Legendary bonecarvers, so that's stalled - I guess we'll put Medtob Brassfaiths and Morul Flashsilvers on it come winter, they're both legendary in different craft. Hmm..Oh right. I came to tell you, the dodge-tron is complete."

"Multiple layers of interlocks, with drink after a month spent jumping, toggled by hauled cart, sized for a full squad, and powered by 3 water reactors."

"Very well. We'll try it out right now, then."

"Alright. I'll turn it on."

. . . Month later, half fall asleep on the spot.

Gear left laying about, buckets jammed into doors....The whole entrance will have to be ripped out and redone to prevent that happening again.

Ramps underneath

hanging doors above.

(Of course, Commander Rovod herself managed to get floored in.)

After the whole thing is refurbished, the Lightning Picks do same practice, expect for longer.

Followed by squad including some quite valuable citizens for half the time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:15:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:21 am »

When I was running Deathgame, a cyclops came to wreak havoc. Erush (have you dorfed him yet?) and Rovod beat the crap out of him. 8 dwarves died that day, but that would be the last of him.

Journal of HMetal Silverystopped, Militia Captain?
13 Opal, 502

We recently had a minotaur attack us. Well, I uh ... killed it with my pick. It's always good to underestimate a dwarf. So that we can kill our enemies better, eh? Heh.

Well, last night, in a dream (again, I know, don't ask why it happens. Just roll with it ya know?) I saw Erush and Rovod beat up a cyclops very badly. Rovod must've had practice interrogating with the humans, because she punched the damn beast like it commited treason or something. It did. It killed 8 of our comrades. And Erush was hacking its head like it was a rock to be mined for some almandines or something. I seriously was a broker there. They told me what happened. Rovod said something about Zefon being proud of her or something. Huh, I never realised that Zefon was Blahsadfeguie. I'm very used to him going by that instead of Zefon. They were also married. What happened now, I don't know.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2016, 04:24:29 am »

I'm sorry about the double post here, but someone needs to keep this machine running. This journal entry is from an alternate timeline. Also, the beastie wrecked the fort in late spring.

Journal of Udil Silverystopped, Broker, and ex-Expedition Leader
20 Felsite, 503

Ngethac, a scaly farting titan and Rithesa, a web-spouting giant stag beetle made from vomit, had scared Stinthad enough to abandon Deathgame. Unfortunately, after she yelled the order, she was struck down by the vomibeetle, so Baldbolts took command of our new group, The Remarkable Ship.

We're now reduced to nomads, scurrying for food in this forsaken place where nobody, let alone our own people, have settled. The humans and goblins have cozily got themselves into The Frost of Cats! Across the Smaller Waters of Rock, it's the Armokdamn elves! AND the first site we, well uh... sight is a collection of dark Goblin Pits! The damned place is called Scalydemons for crying out loud! I know about this from the maps we were given at Deepcloistered. The caravan which came in autumn also gave me intelligence reports of a group calling themselves The Scourge of Perfecting heading for Scalydemons. They went out at 13 Granite in 500.

So we're stuck in this Lim-forsaken part of the Land of Mobs, are we? Are we? Are we? ARE WE?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:28:30 am by HMetal2001 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2016, 02:09:29 pm »

I've been avoiding posting due not wanting to doublepost myself <_< fucknetiquette. But not necessarily stuck - could always retire the fort and move elsewhere, like smack dab on top of goblin dark fortress or humans or something you're at war with. Then you really are nomads.

Yeah, the mino arrived on 17th Granite, not 13th Opal :P I'm sure we'll see cyclops eventually, for now though....

"How exciting! My sonar is detecting new, moving vibrations deep in earth! I think it's a big beast this time!" exclaims Rith Tealkeys

"Okay, sis, I admit that you did predict spaces correctly, but no way are you getting that accurate reading." asserts Medtob K Heldtown.

"Do you doubt my accuracy? Hear all!"

"Feel free to carve fortifications to look yourself, though."

Months ago

"Alright, I've dig the mooding complex out, again. This good enough, Oncilbu?" asks Rith.

"The supreme architect of Deathgame, the Master of Architecture and Masonry, the broker of the Faint Ring, the citizen of the Doors of Evening, th-*whack* is Onciblu Guildsport interrupted by Nomal Toolblows whacking them in the head.

"Quit jammering and get to work. I've already overseen the water system myself."

Medtob Brassfaiths, uncomfortably keeping her distance, nods to Rith: "Yeah, it is good enough. After the linking of raising bridges, the 10 creators can build their respective workshops with trinkets visible to main hall,

floodable and unfloodable at will by briefly marking the respective bridge for deconstruction, then resettable by levers of drainage and floodage

With seals and wonders located right above. "

"..."

Tense, she asks: "Where are the shells and skulls, gems and glass, raw and blocked adamantine, the plentiful leather?"

Mosus Mirrorseal answers "Uh, the leather got used for everyones waterskins. I've never seen any shells, either."

Brassfaiths lacks faith: "We better not have anybody go ga-ga..."

The off-and-off-and-on bookkeeper, Urist L Tangleplanks, runs to the scene disheveled: "We have them! All of them, expect the shells! And leather! Just have to carry...wheee".

Off-put, Medtob merely nods. "What are you doing in that office by yourself, anyway, that you arrive so late..." she mutters, only to get tussled by smiling Tangleplanks. "Hey, always glad to help! Or fight...if that's what you want." she finishes, hand around Medtob's shoulder.

While construction processed

Zan Bellslabour watches as one of the migrant tanners drops the seeds they're holding...

And recognizes the symptoms, as Edib stalks to a workshop.

Though with but a single piece of leather...

Well, I'm sure commander rovod will pick it up once it is taken off display. {}'d the hatch.

. . .

While tavern construction proceeds, Mistem Guildlocks notices Morul Floorwayward tripping, and changing up as if a changed person.

"...He's not moving, Brassfaiths."

"...hell. " Swears Medtob and shouts "What do you want, Morul!?"

"Of course, we're fresh out of giant animal leather" says Medtob while shaking his head.

"He'll have to make do with lion leather."

Less than half a month later, the monumental gear is created

Spoiler: The Drenched Ruin (click to show/hide)

Onclibu rubs hands. "Better install it somewhere nice. A great bridge, the shining star of dwarven civilization."

"A metal bridge?" questions Imush, the legendary weaponsmith....Who fails to provide any quality to bridge.

"A native gold bridge?" grins legendary Nish Urnequaled, captain of the guard.

Hours they rebuild it, but in the end, they can't beat

"...My skill isn't great enough." concede Nish and Onclibu at once.

"There is one more possiblity," says Onclibu. "Wood bridge."

"Hold on, you stoneheads! Brown absolutely doesn't fit there!" cancels Inkedthunders.

"What about some underground woods? They're like stars, perhaps?"

"Yeah, that'll work. Hm...get me some tunnel tubes."

"And have Morul Flashsilvers install them."

Who brushes them away; "I can't really do that now. For now I have important things to think about."

What's with Deathgame and all the girls running into love troubles? *amused* Morul has interesting frienship lists though no lover, including Fath, HMetal, Nish, Blahsadfeguie, Rovod, Asen, Asmel, Imush....It's like "who's who" of deathgame. Social climber?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:15:17 pm by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »

But not necessarily stuck - could always retire the fort and move elsewhere, like smack dab on top of goblin dark fortress or humans or something you're at war with. Then you really are nomads.

Move? How?

PS: I abandoned Deathgame. So how?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:24:26 pm by HMetal2001 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A Dying Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »

If you stick to same world and create new fort, dwarf migrants from previous forts will follow you.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17