Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cyclops having fun during world gen?  (Read 2648 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cyclops having fun during world gen?
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, as you can see, two of those cyclops have birth dates, while one doesn't.
Am I correct in assuming the ones that doesn't was generated at the start of the world and the other two were born while world gen was running the history?
If that's the case... Well, I didn't know semi-megabeasts could... mate.

Also, when I was retelling what happened to a lady to convince her of taking me as a guard, she said that I was brave for slaying one of those cyclops, but that I was also a murderer for killing another one of those cyclops. But NPCs only call you murderer when you kill an innocent (mistaking a child playing make believe for a goblin with red glowing eyes, for example), right?

Could it be that one of those cyclops was peaceful or something? they were all chilling near the same "cave"*, located by a river, and at least two were beating up gremlins.

*according to the map, the cave was on the middle of a river. I couldn't find it.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: cyclops having fun during world gen?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:48:11 pm »

Yeah, I've had several megabeasts and semimegabeasts mating, it's heartbreaking walking into a lair to find giant children playing pretend.

Caves on rivers tend to be buggy and not link to the surface right.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:57:29 pm »

Yes all megabeasts if they are gendered and there is 'wriggle room' inside the megabeast cap (say all the beasts died out, therefore a breeding pair of any description *even if they were common domestic livestock* can refill the niche, restoring a golden age or less to a age of myth but the number has a ceiling of the original max cap) and a suitable lair home which both of them live in if they wander in the same places can raise offspring. I once had a family of giants living in a cave that i found while skimming through a third party reader, presumably all the same family 6 or 8 in all (save is long since gone but it was pretty cool might have been a bigger number like 16 giants but i forget.)

As to the discrepancy you describe, its probably in relevance to some kind of uncovered bug because cyclopses are fully intelligent, running some checks on other intelligent creatures requires science. Since new townie behaviours for peasants in sites was implemented, all semi/intelligent creatures have learning or biased attitudes based on past engagements. (Troglodytes for example early in year 5 can be deterred from encountering dwarves by killing 1 of their number effortlessly and making them watch, in which in future they will run away think of it like trogs spreading rumours that dwarves are dangerous to other surrounding trog populations) Its mostly a entertaining feature of a bug that has overstretched to all systems, though it distorts desired game play in which some classes of intelligent being SHOULD be hostile.

Cyclopses who roam around and make enemies of civs revoke their right to incur any kind of pity over a senseless death it seems, as they had it coming and their days were marked. So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason that just lives inside a cave site even if it is pretty rude or brutal itself.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:05:32 am »

POV is always interesting.

If you're tasked to go to a lair and remove its inhabitant(s), you're someone with a task.

With sentient NPCs, who do not have the [NOFEAR] tag in their raws, some of the things they may shout when you attack them might be:
"Help me, save me!"
"No! This isn't happening!"

Each player has to judge for themselves, if their character was a dutiful hero clearing a lair of giants/cyclopses/ettins or if their character was a murderous home invader.

For me, that whole bit has made it just a thing I want my characters to avoid, presuming they think they're the good guys.