Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I enjoy making pixel art.  As long as it's fun, I'm up for anything.  What would you like to see made next time fancy strikes me?

Keep up the animal people! There are too many creatures that don't have graphics yet!
- 4 (26.7%)
How about some variants for the common race graphics... like "Samurai Elves" or "Roman Legion Humans"
- 3 (20%)
The 'Mad Doodles' section looks kind of neat. Make More Of That!
- 1 (6.7%)
More Custom races collections would be pretty cool.  Like a set for 'Games Workshop™' Skaven, or the Riders Of Rohan from 'Lord Of The Rings™'
- 0 (0%)
Finish the full Set.  We want a 'Tallcastle 16px' Graphics Set! (Will ultimately include a custom Dwarf, elf, etc...)
- 7 (46.7%)
~Other~    Leave in the comments anything not listed here!  Ill add it if people like it.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Tallcastle's Graphics Repository  (Read 8594 times)

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
Tallcastle's Graphics Repository
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:14:54 am »

This Week's Featured 'Mad Doodle'
~IT~
Pennywise - 16px (x4)

"I'm every nightmare you've ever had. I'm your worst dream come true. I'm everything you ever were afraid of."
 ~Stephen King's 'IT'~

~A NOTE ON UPDATES 12/06/17~
So I haven't been on in more than a year.  Life has been what Life is ...
One change of residence, two Job changes, and my marriage has dissolved more or less (long time coming on that last one.)
In spite of this, I've still been making pixel art in my off time.
an average of one every other week or so that I've just now added.
Still heavy on the ADD, and updates for the next wile are still going to be sparse.
However with the release of Dwarf Fortress 44.02 I plan on making at least some progress on a Tallcastle Graphics Set.

Otherwise, ill see all of you again with new sprites each time my brain 'Bunny Trails' back this way.

Happy Gaming!

So back when version 0.42 came out and we got a chance to have multicultural forts, I was struck with the fact that for most graphics sets (or at least for my Favorite one) only dwarves have sprites for many of the professions.  And when i tried my hand at making some new ones, I found out something I didn't expect.
I really like to make pixel art ... Alot.
In this post, you will find most of the pixel art i make.  Since I started off by generating sprites art for the "Mayday Tileset Compilation" Nearly all of my art is dwarf fortress related, and even those that aren't still fit in a standard 16x16 square. 
For the most part i'm just looking for an environment where i can post my work, and if possible get some feedback and suggestions from others on the forums.
And now ...

Tallcastle's Graphics Repository
Spoiler: Update History (click to show/hide)

To start, you should all know that anything i make and post on here is open source. 
You all have my blessing to use anything here without advance permission from me. 
(If you do though, post it here and let me know.  I would love to see it and offer my support!)
The Topic's Bulk will consist of 4 Distinct Categories.

• Mad Doodles - This is all pop culture pixel art, done in 16x16 format.  For me, it's no more than pure childish fun, and serves no purpose other than to satisfy my own amusement.  No matter how much or little progress i make otherwise, there will always be a new one of these at the top of this topic as often as possible.  And they will cover EVERYTHING!
  • Dwarf Fortress Graphics Set - This started off as an attempt to give profession sprites to all the various beast men you find in dwarf fortress (Hippo Man Farmer, Alligator Man Mechanic, Squid Man Noble, etc...)  Now it's turned into a full blown Graphics set in its own rite.  This is the largest of the 4 projects and will take up the majority of space in the top post.
  • Variant Race Graphics - I'm an avid history enthusiast, and consume massive amounts of Fantasy and Sci-Fi.  So occasionally I may shoot out a themed set of a major race.  These will be random, and inspired by whatever caught my attention at the time. (Legion Humans; came from binge watching several documentaries on Imperial Rome.  Ottoman Goblins, was inspired by episodes of Extra History, I'm even considering a Gondor Elves after my next annual "Lord of the Rings" Marathon.)
  • Special Requests - I do this stuff because I enjoy it.  If anyone has a special request, you need only ask.  If I think it would be fun than I would be more than happy to help out any way I Can.  My only requirement, is my work will always be open source, and therefore freely available to anyone that wants to use it.(P.S - I'm sort of ... ADD.  Don't get offended If I don't respond to you right away.  Its likely I just got distracted by something and I'll get back to you eventually.)
Most of these sets will undergo countless changes before they even resemble complete.  I pretty much knew this going in, and have included several ways to help keep track of all the adjustments that are going to happen over time.  It's a system designed to help out everyone out (not just me) and make navigating this topic and its contents less of a chore.
Spoiler: The First Method (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Second Method (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Third Method (click to show/hide)
Updates and Changes to this top page over the next few Days (and/or) Weeks will be frequent, so keep your eyes open for new material.

Tallcastle's Dwarf Fortress Graphics Set
!DISCLAIMER! - While most of the contents here are original work by me, it does include many sprites that were created by others in the community.  I lay no claim to these, and anyone out there feels that I'm using your work unjustly needs only contact me and ill will pull your work down immediately.

Due to a large amount of positive feedback for this in the community, this pack has become a top priority for me.  Keep checking for updates, I'll try to get a working version out as soon as possible.

This set will be primarily characterized by my original goals when i started this project.  To make sprites available for all creatures in dwarf fortress, most notably professions for animal men; even those that are unlikely/impossible

On a side note, "Tallcastle 16px Graphics Set" seams a little drab to me.  I was thinking of calling it something like "Fortune" or "Cornucopia" Leave your comments below with suggestions!

Spoiler: Set Progress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: creature_Annelids.png (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_birds.png (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_birds_new.png (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_domestic.png (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_standard.png (click to show/hide)
Keep Tuned For More Updates!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:40:50 pm by Tallcastle »

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tallcastle's Graphics Repository
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:34:15 am »

Mad Doodles
16x16 sprites, featuring pop culture references.  I'll be doing a new one of these each week.
Spoiler: Forum Banner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Movies & Television (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Video Games (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Comics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other (click to show/hide)

Requests
Special Requests by Community Members.  As Always, Happy to Help.
Spoiler: Requests by Meph (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress - Alternate Sprite Set
There has been some intrest expressed in alternative sprite sets for Dwarf Fortress. Ill make a new one of these every now and then and post them here.
Spoiler: Human - Roman Legion (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress - Mod Materials
Normally this kind of thing would go in my 'Mad Doodles' Section.  These are just sprites i made for fun, in this case they are Sprites for Dwarf Fortress animals that do not exist in the RAW's ... Yet.  Use them in your mods.
Spoiler: Mythic Beasts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:47:43 am by Tallcastle »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:53 am »

Oh, they are awesome! You even did profession sprites for doctors, fishers and the like, thats great. :) Ghosts, zombies, everything there, including a color scheme.

I'll do some minor changes (for example a triton instead of a spear) and add the nobles, once I've written the correct entity file.

Do you have a legend or graphics.txt for the tileset? I can write one myself, but for a few I'm at a loss. For example there are three units with swords, I guess one is the swordman, another the militia captain, but what is the third?

Do you have the photoshop file with different layers? Maybe I can use this as a basis for another race I wanted to make, Ratmen. They would get 5 sets, but since the profession items are all set up, it would just be making 5 different looking ratmen sprites to go underneath them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »

Do you have a legend or graphics.txt for the tileset? I can write one myself, but for a few I'm at a loss. For example there are three units with swords, I guess one is the swordman, another the militia captain, but what is the third?
So, here is a basic Legend for what is where in my graphics files.  This legend applies to all of my files (not just Naga)
Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)
I'll be putting something like this in the opening post just as soon as i can figure out how to post a [table ] [/ table]

I'll do some minor changes (for example a triton instead of a spear) and add the nobles, once I've written the correct entity file.
Ill put in a Trident for you.  what other adjustments where you looking for?
Do you have the photoshop file with different layers?
unfortunately no. I do a lot of the groundwork for this stuff using 'Microsoft Paint' at work (suffice to say its a job that when it gets busy, it gets Very VERY busy, very VERY fast. but there are days when I do almost nothing all night long) I clean them up with GIMP when i get home.  Unfortunately the computers at work are primitive and paint is the only thing available.  This is also why the work i produce is sporadic, work takes priority.  When there is a lot of work to do, i don't get much art done.
Maybe I can use this as a basis for another race I wanted to make, Ratmen. They would get 5 sets, but since the profession items are all set up, it would just be making 5 different looking ratmen sprites to go underneath them.
As it turns out 'Rat Men' happen to be on my things to do list.  Ill light a fire under it, knowing that your looking for a sprite set for it.  It will be under the Meph - Request section.  I'll send you a message than.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:51:02 am »

Thanks for everything :) I'll let you know once I release something.

Small adjustments I will do myself, since I dont know exactly what they will be. Changes with the way I write the mod.

Btw, I voted for "How about some variants for the common race graphics... like "Samurai Elves" or "Roman Legion Humans"", because one of my on-hold projects was/is RL human civs... they are trivial to write, all you need is to copy the entity file and mod the fitting items, make a language file and write the nobles. Vikings, Ottoman empire, Holy crusaders, Samurai/Ninjas, Native Americans, Maya/Inca, Inuits... all possible.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:39:46 am »

So i'm taking a short break.  (not for long, just want to actually PLAY Dwarf Fortress for a few days.)

but i'm still working.  check below for a quick preview of what's to come.

Spoiler: Jabberer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:44:54 am by Tallcastle »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:06:07 am »

I'm heading out for a 3-4 week trip, if you want to try your hand in the meantime on the rat-men, you'd have all the time you'd want. :)  I plan 5 types. The sets and professions would be identical, but the creature itself would have slight differences:

1: Normal rat men, maybe thinner/weaker.
2: Shadowy, cloaked assassin rat men.
3: Glowy-green eyed tech-loving rat men.
4: Rotting, sickly plague rat men.
5: muscular, bigger rat men.

The blowgunner would be a rifle-man; the dagger-user would have metal claws; swordsmen have thin, poison-coated blades.

I'm not sure how much extra work it would be to make 5 sets instead of 5 with gimp/paint, but in Photoshop it would be about the same as making 1 set and 5 single creature sprites. The creatures would have the same basic body and posture; and could be copy+pasted underneath the item/icon sets.

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 03:06:15 pm »

I'll see what i can do.  Almost done with a 'Roman Legion' alternative sprite set for humans, and i'd like to finish that before i take on another project.

Ta, Da!

Be done soon thoe.  After that I should be able to scare up a proof of concept for review by the time you get back.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 03:10:08 pm »

Would you like items, entity and creature files for your romans? I'd be happy to do that. :)

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 11:45:55 am »

Sure.  If you do, just post it here and I'll include it next to the corresponding sprite set.

As for your 'Ratmen' Request, i've put together a few examples for a sort of 'Proof of concept'

let me know what you think
Spoiler: Example 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 5 (click to show/hide)

If anyone has comments, suggestions, or criticism.  Post it below, I would love some feedback

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »

I love them! It makes me want to play Ratman Fortress.

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »

So I'm about done with 'Forum Maintenance' (mostly just reorganizing the Top Page into something more comprehensible)

I think what's above will be more or less a final version until there is a Release worthy version of a "Tallcastle Graphics Set"

Most of the delay is due to me just overwhelming myself with too many projects at once.  this means that even though i havent released much in the last few weeks I haven't been idle, in a little while your going to see a rapid succession of material as I complete all these projects at once.

In the meantime, ask questions if you have them.  and enjoy these fun little bits of what's to come

Spoiler: Mythological Creatures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Animated Sprites! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ratmen (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:36:02 am by Tallcastle »