Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Swordsdwarf Problem  (Read 1060 times)

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Weird Swordsdwarf Problem
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:09:37 am »

Just started a new adventurer when I noticed something odd: She doesn't seem to be getting any experience in her swordsdwarf skill from murdering zombies.

I have been cutting down dozens of them without the skill making any visible progress. Other skills like shield user and fighter on the other hand have all advanced a level or two already.

I'm not exactly sure what to do to fix this. She's freshly created, not undead or anything. Just a regular dwarf with a bronze shortsword.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Swordsdwarf Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:07:58 am »

There was someone trying to get to legendary in every skill a while ago and for some reason his character was only able to gain skill while focused. I've never experienced this myself, but it might be worth trying to see if that's the problem.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:49:21 am »

I know I read somewhere that you gain little xp from certain monsters, zombies among them, and a lot of xp from certain others, like bronze colossi.

Dunno if it helps.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 04:18:52 pm »

I have noticed that it's nearly (or entirely) impossible to raise your skills with zombies.  I've had adventurers attack necromancer towers guarded by several zombies, I've killed hoards of zombie ravens and jaguars, but the skills are always stagnant.  I don't know why this is the case, but it's best to focus on living creatures

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:00:09 am »

Maybe that whole thing about fighting undead being super hard on your sanity has something to do with it?
Try talking with an npc after fighting a zombie, expressing your emotions. See what it is that your adventurer felt. Maybe if you're too busy keeping it together you cant pay enough attention to learn?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

RattyB

• Bay Watcher
  • Help.
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:35 pm »

Maybe that whole thing about fighting undead being super hard on your sanity has something to do with it?
Some adventurers, and units in general find it harder to max out in certain skills based on their natural tendency to better at some things.

Hope this helps.
Good day to you, sir!