Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48

Author Topic: Mind Reading Mafia Game Over, No One Won.  (Read 88261 times)

GayArchaea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Day 1
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »

@Jack AT:
To be honest, I haven't played mafia at all for quite some time. just wanted to suddenly rise from the grave for a brief moment. so, I may look at some of these player's old posts.

Essentially, I am a noob who just so happened to have posted on these forums almost two years ago. So I don't have any recent experience and probably a good choice for scum to pick on.

@Deus Asmoth:
Someone would probably do that if they think the hammer is quite safe and would like to disassociate themselves from it. Very Scummy.

Questions: (sorry I begin school tomorrow)
Jack A.T.:Can you think of any possible tactic which could involve the use of the powers that edit beyond the day of the post? to fool people unaware of the change, add in a sneaky clue right before the roleclaim, my mind wonders about the possibility.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 01:11:53 am »

Fillipk abruptly PMed me to tell me that editing posts from days before cannot retroactively change the lynch.  Not surprising.

To let you know that I would consider that to be suspicious. Come to think of it, I didn't have to post that, I could have just left it unsaid, then if you didn't end up unvoting before the day ended, pointed it out day 2 for potentially greater effect.
Fallacy: ...why?  Why let us know?  Why did this even come to mind?  You saw two RVS votes on griffinpup, so you immediately thought of the votes being left through the entire day and how scummy that would be, so you decided to tell us how suspicious that would be?
Was this an impulsive action?
Jack A T: How likely do you think it is that there is at least one power in this setup that works via quotes?
It's possible.  I'm guessing there's some sort of major unrevealed mechanic that makes post editing useful for town, and that fits the bill.

So what was the point of this question? I'm guessing there's something in the formatting of the PMs you want to check by assuming I'd use the formatting of mine to make my guess for yours?
Deus: Primarily, I wanted to see two things: your reaction to an odd question, and just how much people knew about my role from what I said.  That, and I wanted to have two questions playing on the setup flavour.

How many mafia do you think there are?
OSG: 2-3, most likely 3.  If 2, then heavy thirds.

Jack A.T.:Can you think of any possible tactic which could involve the use of the powers that edit beyond the day of the post? to fool people unaware of the change, add in a sneaky clue right before the roleclaim, my mind wonders about the possibility.
GayArchaea: The clearest and least situational ones I can think of are non-town ones.  Evidence forgery and destruction, petty damage, feints to convince us that evidence was altered...chaos.  However, archival works well against that.  Even with archival, though, selective alteration could be used to generate WIFOM.
That being said, those tactics would work best if Meph were administrating some edits, something not confirmed.  That is possible, though, with Meph's known involvement in this game.
For self-editing, dead scum walking can destroy old evidence...but archiving undermines that.

I see very little for town to gain from post editing, whether our own posts or the posts of others.  However, my having my noted power indicates that the mod thinks there is something for town to gain.  Probable unknown mechanics.

Tiruin: Unless there are substantive mechanical reasons to edit, I will not edit.
Uh, my guess would be:
a hollow circle (one curve)
a Greek cross (two lines)
three vertical wavy lines (or "waves")
And then Jack A T was asking me stuff because that's probably his action in drawing cards like a tarot dealer, because Miiiind reading. :^
Your card guess is completely correct.  ESP confirmed!  The reason for asking has nothing to do with my role, though.  Just playing on the theme and seeing what you would guess the reason for asking was.

Basically agreed about archival.  I am archiving through copy/pasting the posts to a local OpenOffice file.  I can't say I recommend screenshot archival: hard to quote and results in too many big images with little on each.
Hope you get less bluh soon.

fillipk: Are there/Is it possible that there are powers in this game that depend on Mephansteras's moderator editing rights?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 01:16:09 am »

fillipk: Are there/Is it possible that there are powers in this game that depend on Mephansteras's moderator editing rights?
No.  It was a part of the original plan but Meph wasn't up for it.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:36 am »

fillipk: Excellent.  Are there possibly powers that operate through forcing people to edit their own posts in ways not decided by them?  Basically, a juryrigged way to replicate Meph's power?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Starting Now
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 05:51:16 am »

There are powers to edit posts during the night and to edit posts from days before.  I know.  I have such a power.
BlackHeartKabal: I decided to reveal elements of my role in this first post.  Should I have done so?
It makes me extremely suspicious of you, to say the least, due to your particular power.
BHK: How much of an impact do you think editing will have on the game?
It'll be integral to this game, I'd guess.

I'm busy with things so my activity level might be lower than usual.

Jack - Why do you need the power to edit posts?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 06:46:07 am »

What would you consider an adequate reason for doing so?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

GayArchaea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2016, 07:09:30 am »

fillipk: Excellent.  Are there possibly powers that operate through forcing people to edit their own posts in ways not decided by them?  Basically, a juryrigged way to replicate Meph's power?
I double this request, I wondered why any townie would possibly edit their own posts, unless they were, say, forced to do a specific edit to one of their posts on pain of death.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 08:13:41 am »

I don't see a reason to edit posts unless it is a prerequisite of using an ability. I don't have anything like that, but others might.

For now, I am wondering if everybody could agree to NOT edit posts?

If you need to edit posts for some reason, please say so now. You don't even need to say why. But if everybody can agree, then this game will be a lot easier.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 08:24:29 am »

To let you know that I would consider that to be suspicious. Come to think of it, I didn't have to post that, I could have just left it unsaid, then if you didn't end up unvoting before the day ended, pointed it out day 2 for potentially greater effect.
Fallacy: ...why?  Why let us know?  Why did this even come to mind?  You saw two RVS votes on griffinpup, so you immediately thought of the votes being left through the entire day and how scummy that would be, so you decided to tell us how suspicious that would be?
Was this an impulsive action?
Yes, that was something of an impulsive action.
~~~
I don't see a reason to edit posts unless it is a prerequisite of using an ability. I don't have anything like that, but others might.

For now, I am wondering if everybody could agree to NOT edit posts?

If you need to edit posts for some reason, please say so now. You don't even need to say why. But if everybody can agree, then this game will be a lot easier.
Agreement expressed.
~~~
Posts archived:
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 09:34:11 am »

FoU is there any reason for your select archiving? You posting about it can be edited in itself; I'm screen cap'ing everyone because I can. :3
Also standing by my editing-query, where are the answers, people? Only have Jack, TMS, and OSG.

PFP because it'd be impolite to edit THIS post. :I
I'm really guessing many things in the background here because of how little is coming out.

I double this request, I wondered why any townie would possibly edit their own posts, unless they were, say, forced to do a specific edit to one of their posts on pain of death.
Do you see anything within editing one's post, GA?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 10:29:35 am »

If I wanted to add something which I'd forgot.
Which you can make a new post about what you've forgotten--as another forgetful person here, I find that a good idea. Can you give more detail about your ideas on editing and otherwise?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Reading Mafia (11/11) Starting Now
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 12:46:37 pm »

Jack - Why do you need the power to edit posts?
BHK: That's what I'd like to know!
Again, tt's quite likely that there's another mechanic that makes editing actually useful to more than just scum in more than just a few rare situations.
A side note: we all have the power to edit posts.  My role just lets me do so a bit at night to old posts.
It makes me extremely suspicious of you, to say the least, due to your particular power.
Can you explain why my power, and my actions surrounding my power, make you feel that way?

If I wanted to add something which I'd forgot.
The Moonlit Shadow: There are often alternatives to editing.  In such a case, as Tiruin noted, one of the clearest alternatives to editing is available: EBWOP.  How do alternatives to editing fit within your approach to editing?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »

That's a very interesting idea, I wish I had thought of that.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2016, 02:42:30 pm »

So, that leaves self-editing as the only editing.  Excellent.

The Moonlit Shadow: Basically, when you may want to edit, there may be other ways to achieve your goal.  Posting an addition, clarification, or correction instead, for instance.  You talk about editing when you see reason to do so, and your example of such a reason seems a perfect situation for editing by way of post (EBWOP).  When deciding whether to edit, do you intend to consider alternatives to editing?  If so, how would you decide when to edit and when to use an alternative to editing?

Also, Tiruin wanted general details about your ideas about editing.  You should probably answer that.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »

Note to self: Pulling all nighters when you have to go to work the next day is a bad idea.

Now back on topic, I honestly don't think there's anything I would edit into a post the can't be done in an ebwop, therefore I don't plan on editing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48