Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: Omega Legion: The Road Goes Ever On  (Read 66043 times)

Loki987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: The Road Goes Ever On
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »

"Ooohh, sightseeing."
I'll follow Senna and smile happily. No one sees me smiling however due to the bag around my head.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 08:06:59 am »

Dar'yajira will accompany Alaran to the Mechanist shop.  He'll examine a map to see how close the nearest Durnvale is to the mechanist's location, and if said "mechanist's location" is different from the shop Alaran's heading to.

((Also, OOC question: If it's not too much trouble, could we get some kind of simple map?  It's certainly not necessary, but it would help understanding a fair bit.  As a reminder, if you use text, type it a monospace editor, so that formatting doesn't ruin it again.))

I did my best ascii for a simple map. I tried it in a monospace editor, and then put it in courier. Hope it works out okay. It's this or make another account at an image hosting site. -GM whine-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note the two mountain ranges, the shore of the ocean. and the river, whose branches join at the one city and which flows to the shore at the other city. The river branches extend a bit further upstream than I've shown, with the southern branch winding up into the mountains, and the northern winding up further north around the mountains.

The mechanist workshop is to the north by a few days - the mechanist shop in the city is a different thing, an actual shop, whereas the other is a manufactory and a commune and a laboratory.

The hive is not quite to scale as it is smaller than a human city. However, the sphere of influence is about that size. one of Dar's markers is, in fact, inside the boundary of the Hive. Dar's mark to the north is, again, within a couple hours hike of the mechanist workshop, as is the land of the noble who wants to invade the workshop. the rock is a small island off the coast at teh end of the mountain chain. It is an Omega site.

Anyway, you head out with Alaran, who takes several winding paths inward, through some of the more crowded bits of the city, until at last the route opens up again into more comfortable (for humans) space. The route changes from primarily low class tenements to a modest but tidier shop district. Lights are on in many windows, and there are a fair number of pedestrians ambling about, some out for late evening strolls, while others are window shopping, and a few are grabbing schnitzels from the schnitzel man. Alaran leas you to one shop in particular, with a whizzing, spherical gizmo in the window. he enters without knocking, holding the door with his foot for you, before letting it close again. Almost too quick for you to notice, he exchanges a sign with the attendant, who then greets him perfunctorily and bids him wait. After a few minutes, while Alaran and yourself browse the clockwork, the bronze magnifiers, the leather arm guards, and other neat steampunk fashions and functionals, Alaran is waved back into a back room behind a curtain.

"Sure, I'd like that... Thanks."
I say to Senna.
Terrance will follow Senna.
"Ooohh, sightseeing."
I'll follow Senna and smile happily. No one sees me smiling however due to the bag around my head.

"oh goodie! A shopping spree it is! Now, who has the purse?" She says, and winks. She then leads you along several thoroughfares lined with plain brick buildings, all clumped close together with a few small windows facing the street. "just some workshops and warehouses." After a while, the zone gives way to a more commercial district, filled with blacksmiths and bakeries, tailors and hatters, colliers and chandlers. Senna turns down one street in particular, which takes an odd twist and then suddenly opens on a bustling, brightly lit street full of nightlife. Food, clothing, all kinds of entertainment and more line the street. Even at the late hour, this street is teeming with activity.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 09:42:57 am »

I'm sticking with Senna.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:34 am »

I'm sticking with Senna.
that's good. She has the purse, after all. She's looking at shoes now.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 02:39:15 pm »

Going with this senna person they seem cool.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Loki987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 03:01:06 pm »

Also going with Senna and linger about at the foodstands, looking at all the different kinds (I hope) of exiciting food they have.
"Hey, let's buy some vittles or whatnot. Always wanted ta try a giant fried centipede on a stick or something. But I'm not paying cause I ain't got no coin.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:08:17 pm by Loki987 »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »

Follow along. Try not to get stepped on.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:15 am »

Behind a curtain, you say?  Well, Dar'yajira shall follow.  If he's told to stay in the lobby, he'll find a high spot, preferably in a corner, and quietly watch the patrons of the shop.
You head back and settle in a corner, seemingly unnoticed. The two men exchange warm greetings, and then begin to talk about the situation at the mechanist colony.

"Looks bad up there. Constructs are getting off the reservation and making trouble with the local farmers. I'm not sure what Count Vosto has crawling up his butt, but something must have happened. He  seems hell bent on tearing the whole place down. We've got some time before he's ready, looks like, but he's mustering a small army. Mostly farmers and peasants though. Most of the trained men are of his own household. We might still be able to turn him aside if we can do something about the loose buggers."

"How'd this happen? How'd they get out? Why?"

"Well, the guys up there are being evasive about it, but it looks like a single batch of drones went weird and no one noticed. We think they dug their way out. I bet they are tearing up the fields up there. Why? who knows. Maybe just the wrong batch of ingredients or something."

I'm sticking with Senna.
Going with this senna person they seem cool.

Follow along. Try not to get stepped on.
You all make quite the touristy group. Various vendors call to get your attention left and right. "After this, we could go to the Temple of Das'tangera. It's a modest fishing shrine, but it is built out of the hulls of ships that have made it back to the city through rough weather, combat, and illness. Each ship was in bad shape when it came into port, but the crew of each survived. It makes you think ... Or we could go up the hill and watch the foundry for a little. There's a nest of salamanders in there, and they should fly out for a while just before the bell. Makes a pretty show."

Also going with Senna and linger about at the foodstands, looking at all the different kinds (I hope) of exiciting food they have.
"Hey, let's buy some vittles or whatnot. Always wanted ta try a giant fried centipede on a stick or something. But I'm not paying cause I ain't got no coin.
Yo  see lots of seafood. Oysters are a notable presence here, as are crabs and lobster. There's a tuna being fileted at a table not far away - thing is six foot long without the head or tail. You look for insects being roasted and find a few good spots -one full of crickets being roasted in a big shallow pan, and there's your giant centipede on a stick over there. Senna tells you you can buy something to eat. Meanwhile, you are attracting a lot of attention yourself. One guy asks "Where are you gonna do your show? Where's your spot?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 07:38:31 am »

"I'd like to see the salamanders."
Go see the salamanders, and if I can I'll see if I can acquire them, though I don't expect to get close enough, nor to have a long enough exposure time.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:11 am »

"I WOULD LIKE TO OBSERVE THEIR FOUNDRY. FROM A DISTANCE, ANYWAY."

To the foundry!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:02:57 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Loki987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »

I want to buy the centipede (I don't have money I think). If I can't buy it I'll ask Senna to buy it for me (I do NOT steal it). If I get it, I rip a little hole in the bag around my head and eat it. After that I do a little magic show with my ball and chain (I pick it up with one finger) and let others pick it up. They should notice that it is very heavy to them but not to me (because of magic). I hope I get some coin. Then I follow my team to the foundry.

"Gather around peeps and witness tha mysteries of the dark arts. All available for yer pleasure. For only a small amount of coin and yer smiles. I am tha magian Strangly Samuel and am here to perform for you.(I point at no one in particular.)

(Sorry for the string of actions but the other guys want to go to the foundry and I don't want to be left behind.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:37:19 pm by Loki987 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 01:12:57 am »

The Eye is following Aylia around like a weird, occult, all-seeing puppy that is eager to take in the sights.  But not so eager as to actually leave her or the group.  Are the commstones distributed?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:14:37 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 07:19:40 am »

The Eye is following Aylia around like a weird, occult, all-seeing puppy that is eager to take in the sights.  But not so eager as to actually leave her or the group.  Are the commstones distributed?
they are not. You have all the commstones.

I want to buy the centipede (I don't have money I think). If I can't buy it I'll ask Senna to buy it for me (I do NOT steal it). If I get it, I rip a little hole in the bag around my head and eat it. After that I do a little magic show with my ball and chain (I pick it up with one finger) and let others pick it up. They should notice that it is very heavy to them but not to me (because of magic). I hope I get some coin. Then I follow my team to the foundry.

"Gather around peeps and witness tha mysteries of the dark arts. All available for yer pleasure. For only a small amount of coin and yer smiles. I am tha magian Strangly Samuel and am here to perform for you.(I point at no one in particular.)

(Sorry for the string of actions but the other guys want to go to the foundry and I don't want to be left behind.)
You put on a minor display of doomed "greatness," to minor applause. You earn enough coin to pay for your meal. and head out with the others. The bag resists tearing, so in the end, you settle for shoving the centipede up under the edge of it and wiggling it around until you can reach it with your mouth. This occupies your attention until the party reaches teh foundry.

SO, everyone heads out of the shopping district, and up some narrow, winding roads, stepping around hand carts and pedestrians coming the other way. You arrive at a high point and walk a ways until a gap in the warehouses opens up on a fence which has seen better days. You find a hole in the fence that looks like it has been there for a long time - long enough for a well worn path to lead right through it - and join several others on the other side. The foundry, below, is a mass of activity, with people moving about from point to point, mostly hauling coal or raw metals, or pulling finished bars out and stacking them. the bright red glow of the furnaces is accented by the green glow of copper, the bright yellow of sodium, and occasional blue, purple or red sparks from unknown processes. I would describe the view as mesmerising, but perhaps it would evoke a different feeling in each of you. Or none, for the Eye.

After a time, a large cauldron is carted carefully toward a pit, along a set of tracks. It is guided by long poles, and the people handling it stay well back. the people with you shift their attention and wait, still, conversation muted. The cauldron, full of slag, is tipped over, pouring it's contents into the pit. A thick black smoke roils up at this, and after a moment, a buzzing sound can be heard over the sound of cooling metal and crackling slag. Bright sparks can be seen flitting about in the cloud, a few at first, and more by the moment, before suddenly the cloud explodes wit hcolor. Small winged lizards erupting out en masse to swirl about and race off toward the winds. They are a multitude of colors and they glow, more softly than the harsh glare of the furnaces, but brightly nonetheless. For a time, the sky above the city, and some places within the city, sparkle and glow.

Eventually, your attention is drawn from the fading colors by the sound of several bells tolling in harmony, more quiet than you expect, but firm and calm, announcing the end of the day.

Continue to quietly watch.
Nothing more of particular interest to you is said. Personal stories are exchanged, referencing people you don't know, who seem of minor importance to the plot your mission. Some details about certain experiments and other projects are discussed, and a small debate over some mechanist philosophy or other rises and falls in spurts, as if a larger conversation were being tossed into this one, piece by piece. Eventually, the men say their farewells, and Alaran makes to leave. If you want to explore a bit you can. Otherwise, he's heading back to the meet point. You have a little more time than the other group though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44