Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: organize on embark  (Read 1464 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
organize on embark
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »

I would like to be able to move around the items in my embark selection window, without having to delete them all (move 100 eggs from the bottom of the list to the top, etc.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: organize on embark
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:29:21 pm »

Agreed. This minor function would be very helpful, even if its a simple key to 'prioritize' things up and down the chain of goods rather than having to remove and re-add objects all the time, jiggle and reshuffle.

In addition a function to actually just type in the number of objects you want with a price attached via a little calculation work would be helpful. Especially since we already have a quality of life addition to type in what we want

Capers [20] ((that will be 40 points if you take this amount of goods, proceed? Y/N)) etc.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:55:25 pm »

Why? Does order matter?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:17 pm »

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but with all the dozens of things that "need" to be improved about the Embark screen . . . this seems way down the list.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:57 am »

The importance that would make best sense to me is in grouping like items. If all available seeds (say) start together in the list but you reduce one to zero and then re-add it, it goes to the bottom of the list and is at least 'messy' and possibly distracts you as you try to later add in the 'missing' type again but of course no more seeds are in the new-item-adder selector.

So, not a big thing, but I do tend to remove all booze and re-add it, remove all seeds then re-add them, etc, to move sets of product from the top of the list to the bottom, until I know I'm fully happy with what items there are on list. Which perhaps says more about me than the interface.

I can continue with it as it is, though, if the shortcut of list-shuffling isn't implemented.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:35 am »

Ya I usually just delete everything and then add what I want just for this reason.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »

Or in the meanwhile if you save the embark profile then you can edit the text file to your liking. The order there is the one showed in the game, of course you need to restart the game (or at least the embark) for it to take the changes.

But yes, it could help to move things around and even group them in weapons/tools, food, construction material, and so on...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:06:23 pm »

Why? Does order matter?

Easier to track visually in arranging together your relevant goods, so that one stack of plump helmet seeds doesn't get lost in a thicket of other objects and you forget something because of it.

Autogrouping objects together via a 'sort' function is a reasonable alternative.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:48:08 pm »

Or in the meanwhile if you save the embark profile then you can edit the text file to your liking.
Out of curiosity, can this be (ab)used to obtain goods that are not available in the regular Embark menu? (Specifically, I'm thinking of aboveground seeds.)
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 11:08:14 pm »

Or in the meanwhile if you save the embark profile then you can edit the text file to your liking.
Out of curiosity, can this be (ab)used to obtain goods that are not available in the regular Embark menu? (Specifically, I'm thinking of aboveground seeds.)
No. It'll tell you which items are unavailable. This happens most notoriously with iron anvils, due to civ not having iron.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 08:59:00 am »

I would be more interested in being able to rearrange the dwarves, since embark profiles assign skills by position in the list.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 01:48:24 pm »

Fairly certain the embark will suffer a lot of changes with the next release.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »

For real?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:36 pm »

For real?
Taking scenarios into account, yes.