Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mixing and Matching Mods  (Read 3433 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mixing and Matching Mods
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »

I was looking through all the mods to see how likely they are to be compatible with each other and thought the spreadsheet might be useful to others who are trying to pick out some mods.

Permission
Modified Vanilla Files
Evaluation
Author
DF Version
Votes
Mod Name
grantedlooks okay for packMalecus0.40.194Arctic Addition Mod!
pendinglooks okay for packZM50.43.05n/aCombo Weapons Mod
pendinglooks okay for packDSD0.43.030Fluffy Pony Mod
grantedlooks okay for packIndigoFenix0.43.031FORTAL KOMBAT!
grantedlooks okay for packdarkflagrance0.43.0511Fortress Defense Mod II
grantedlooks okay for packCastrosCajones0.43.05n/aLand Carp
grantedlooks okay for packdarkflagrance0.43.052Plump Helmet Invaders
grantedlooks okay for packIAmTheMadLord, TangentialThreat0.43.05n/aPhoenix Megabeast
looks okay for packWastedlabor0.???0Procedural Decoration Legends
pendinglooks okay for packikeepadreamjournal0.43.05n/aScorpion People
grantedlooks okay for pack (modular raws in its own folder)Enemy post0.43.050Star Wars:Jawa Fortress
grantedlooks okay for packZM50.43.050Warcraft standalone pack
grantedbundled with vanilla rawsIndigoFenix0.43.024Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod
grantedend4, fortressintro, kingarrivalmodifies 3 announcement filesIndigoFenix0.43.x0Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom
grantedrequires DFHackPutnam0.42.x1Dragon Ball
grantedmajor changes to creature_standardmodifies 1 object fileDirst0.43.x2Appearance Tweaks
entity_default.txtmodifies 1 object fileJake0.40.241Black Powder Firearms
grantedentity_default.txtmodifies 1 object fileHalnoth0.43.x3Haberdasher / Cloth Armor Mod
grantedtissue_template_defaultmodifies 1 object fileAverageBandit0.43.030Deadly bleeding!
entity_default.txtmodifies 1 object fileLiber celi0.40.130LC's Terrible Weapons Pack
entity_default.txtmodifies 1 object fileLucelle0.42.x4Lucelle Weapons and Armour
pendingentity_default.txtmodifies 1(?) object fileMeph0.43.03n/aMeph Tileset(?)
interaction_standardmodifies 1 object fileJerry The Hellbound0.42.x0Solari
grantedentity_defaultmodifies 1 object fileEric Blank0.43.051Spellcrafts - Another Lame Magic Mod!
grantedentity_defaultmodifies 1 object file. requires DFHackDirst0.43.x5The Earth Strikes Back!
entity_default.txtmodifies 1 object fileSeagoon0.43.050Undertale: Pretale Mod
entity_default, material_template_defaultmodifies 2 objects filesUrist McGoombaBrother0.43.032Crematory Overhaul
creature_domestic, reaction_othermodifies 2 objects filesWannabehero0.34.115Deeper Dwarven Domestication
entity_default, plant_standardmodifies 2 objects filesthan4020.43.022Expanded Good/Evil Regions
entity_default, material_template_defaultmodifies 2 objects filesPutnam0.42.062Fortbent: Homestuck
pendingmaterial_template_default, reaction_othermodifies 2 objects filesackhead0.???9More leather mod
entity_default, creature_subterraneanmodifies 2 objects filesBoltgun0.42.061Succubus Dungeon
entity_default, inorganic_metal, reaction_smeltermodifies 3 objects filesAceSV0.42.05n/aFurry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes
entity_default, material_template_default, creature_subterraneanmodifies 3 objects filesKazoo0.42.053Kazoo's Silk Egg
some of the book stuffmodifies 3 objects filespikachu170.43.030Pikachu's submission for Dwarf 4tress from scratch
modifies 6 objects filesSorcerer0.43.041My Little Fortress: Losing is !!Magic!!
entity_default, 9 item_* files, and optionally creature_standardmodifies 10 objects filesStalhansch0.43.053Stal's Armoury Pack
modifies 14 vanilla filesZM50.43.050ZM5's Modpack - Warcraft, Dragon's Dogma, and more
modifies vanilla rawsRandom_Dragon0.43.055Adventurecraft
modifies 48 vanilla rawsValikdu0.43.050Desolation
modifies vanilla rawsKnight Otu0.43.022Direforged
requires DFHack and Rubble interpreter. modifies 11 vanilla rawsmilo christiansen0.42.060First Landing addon pack
modifies 18 vanilla rawsGrimlocke0.42.065Grim's History and Realism Mods / Historic Arms and Armors
modifies vanilla rawsumiman0.28..39d1It's The Small Things Mod / Small Things Mod
modifies vanilla rawsRandom_Dragon0.43.053Kobold Kamp
modifies ~40 vanilla rawsButton0.42.065Modest Mod
modifies 17 objects files, bundled with vanilla filesTeneb0.40.x1Nchardahrk
modifies vanilla rawsapiks0.43.051Teh LOLmod
only contains python scripts (requires python interpreter)Knight Otu0.42.060Random Raw Scripts
modifies 44 vanilla files. requires DFHackTeneb0.43.030Warhammer Mod
book_art, book_instruction, entity_default,  inorganic_stone_mineral, material_template_default, world_genmodifies 6 vanilla files, bundled with DFGM-X0.43.056Dark Ages: Mythos of Rammok
modifies 53 raws, bundled with DF, using outdated rawsDeon0.43.022DF Wanderer / Wanderers Friend
modifies 4 objects files, bundled with DF (but not preinstalled)Zanzetkuken The Great0.40.240Dragonic Civilization
modifies 50 vanilla files, bundled with DFPutnam0.34.112Fantastic Dwarf Fortress
modifies 109 vanilla files, bundled with DFTomiTapio0.43.042Genesis Mod / Old Genesis
modifies 72 vanilla raws, bundled with DFValikdu0.43.053My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma
modifies 61 vanilla raws, bundled with PhoebusEvaris0.40.242Orichalcum
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:14:15 pm by jecowa »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing and Matching Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

ptw
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:00:49 pm »

Announcement files are basically nothing, Fortbent is the only other mod I know of that has ever actually modified it and any overwrites don't actually remove any functionality, it's pure flavor. I'd consider that green, or maybe some intermediate between green and yellow.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:16 pm »

Announcement files are basically nothing, Fortbent is the only other mod I know of that has ever actually modified it and any overwrites don't actually remove any functionality, it's pure flavor. I'd consider that green, or maybe some intermediate between green and yellow.
That sounds good. Thanks for the help.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:14:09 am »

I'm cool with my mod being used for this. Also, since the cloth armor mod does require adding things to the entity file, I would be willing to change names of reactions if there are any conflicts. Additionally, you have it listed as 43.xx but it should function fine from when toady added complex instruments on, which is I think 42+. Although seeing how you expressed the version 43.xx works fine. I used some of the new instrument tokens to create the fancy furniture.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:57:26 am »

Jawa Fortress only modifies files in the object folder and changes no default raws, so just that and the Star Wars text folder in the objects are needed for a merge. Otherwise it should mix fine with anything unless it matches one of my raw files. I'd be happy to see it used for this. If you want, I'll send you a cleaned version to make it fit in better.

*Edit, what I meant was that no vanilla raws are changed. Everything related to the mod is in the files marked starwars. Why did you think that 32 files were changed?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:43:57 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 02:17:26 pm »

Feel free to use any of my mods.

Also worth mentioning that ROTMK can function with or without any vanilla creature files.  Some wilderness-focused mods might function better without them, so maybe add an option to remove them if a mod that fills out all biomes effectively is active.

I'm not sure if there are any other mods that are both fully modular as well as big enough to fill out all biomes though.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:08 pm »

*Edit, what I meant was that no vanilla raws are changed. Everything related to the mod is in the files marked starwars. Why did you think that 32 files were changed?

I assume he is using some sort of RAW reader to check for changes. Did you maybe use older vanilla raws when you copied your RAWs into the new version?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »

I assume he is using some sort of RAW reader to check for changes. Did you maybe use older vanilla raws when you copied your RAWs into the new version?

That could be it, I started with 34.11 and changed the Star Wars stuff to fit. To update, I copy my things into the new version and filter by matching names. I did remove creature_standard, entity_default, and item_shield. I have backups of the removed raws and an alternate worldgen included in separate folders with the mod. Is that it?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:10:58 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:45:06 pm »

Jawa Fortress only modifies files in the object folder and changes no default raws, so just that and the Star Wars text folder in the objects are needed for a merge. Otherwise it should mix fine with anything unless it matches one of my raw files. I'd be happy to see it used for this. If you want, I'll send you a cleaned version to make it fit in better.
Thanks for the help. I hadn't been checking anything that was bundled with Dwarf Fortress because there were a lot of mods to check and mods bundled with Dwarf Fortress are a bit more tricky.

From the quick check I did yesterday, it looks like Star Wars: Jawa Fortress needs to have 32 object files removed from the game. A mod that needs to nullify a bunch of object files probably isn't going to be very compatible with other mods. Is it okay to use Star Wars: Jawa Fortress with all the vanilla raw files installed?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:58:53 pm »

Yes, it works, those raws are removed to maintain flavor. If you don't mind mixing stuff, it's not a problem. I'll make the clean version for you later.

*And here it is. I realized while checking it that the old instruments have been removed, but Star Wars still had them and the object file. For compatibility, I removed those things for this release.

**Edit, just noticed this download lacks the ammo and interaction files. Anyway, the modular folders in my mod now should replace this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:28:42 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:19 pm »

Jecowa,

I don't know how to LNP mod tool works, would I need to include an entity file or can the mod tool add tags? And if so is there a particular format you need the tags in?

Just trying to be helpful, this looks like a big undertaking.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 11:10:03 pm »

Jecowa,

I don't know how to LNP mod tool works, would I need to include an entity file or can the mod tool add tags? And if so is there a particular format you need the tags in?

Just trying to be helpful, this looks like a big undertaking.

Including an entity file is helpful. I don't think the mod tool adds tags, but that would be a cool feature.

The ideal format for Lazy Newb Pack would be like what Dirst is doing in the Appearance Tweaks mod. The way the Haberdasher format is setup is pretty good, but including a version with a pre-made entity file would help. I like the way dirst does it - he has both a pre-made file and he has a file called "entity_default.insert" that just has the parts that need to be added to a vanilla file. Even users who are using the "entity_default.insert" file to manually install the entity tags can use the pre-installed version as a guide on where to put them.

On the poll people wrote in answers telling me that they use the Lazy Newb Pack software to install mods, so it would probably be helpful to publish mods in the Lazy Newb Pack format. So you would have your Haberdasher folder and in that you would have a "manifest.json" and a "raw" folder and possibly a readme file or something. Then in the "raw" folder you would have an "objects" folder with all your mod files. There's no need to include unmodified vanilla raws.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:12:28 am »

Including an entity file is helpful. I don't think the mod tool adds tags, but that would be a cool feature.

The ideal format for Lazy Newb Pack would be like what Dirst is doing in the Appearance Tweaks mod. The way the Haberdasher format is setup is pretty good, but including a version with a pre-made entity file would help. I like the way dirst does it - he has both a pre-made file and he has a file called "entity_default.insert" that just has the parts that need to be added to a vanilla file. Even users who are using the "entity_default.insert" file to manually install the entity tags can use the pre-installed version as a guide on where to put them.

On the poll people wrote in answers telling me that they use the Lazy Newb Pack software to install mods, so it would probably be helpful to publish mods in the Lazy Newb Pack format. So you would have your Haberdasher folder and in that you would have a "manifest.json" and a "raw" folder and possibly a readme file or something. Then in the "raw" folder you would have an "objects" folder with all your mod files. There's no need to include unmodified vanilla raws.

Ok, I'll change the format and have a look at the format Dirst uses. Please forgive my ignorance though, what is a manifest.json file? A google search told me it was a Java file but the explanation for what it does went over my head. Is it something LNP uses and can I just copy it? Or do I need to somehow create one? I have 0 programing skills. ChE and science teacher background here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 03:36:45 am »

Ok, I'll change the format and have a look at the format Dirst uses. Please forgive my ignorance though, what is a manifest.json file? A google search told me it was a Java file but the explanation for what it does went over my head. Is it something LNP uses and can I just copy it? Or do I need to somehow create one? I have 0 programing skills. ChE and science teacher background here.

Manifest.json isn't very important. It's an optional file. There's one included with the Appearance Tweak mod that you can use as an example, but he left out a line:
Code: [Select]
    "df_max_version": "0.42.05",
The author field is where you put your name. I'm not sure if that's currently used for anything though.
the content version is where you put the version number of your mod. I'm not sure if that actually does anything either.
"df_min_version" and "df_max_version" tell the Lazy Newb Pack what versions of Dwarf Fortress that the mod is compatible with.
The "title" is the name that the Lazy Newb Pack displays for your mod when users are selecting it.
The "tooltip" field lets you put something like a short description of your mod that is displayed when users mouse-over your mod.

Graphics packs also use the same format. Here's an example of how I like to format them:

Code: [Select]
{
    "author": "DragonDePlatino",
    "url": "http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136221.0",
    "content_version": "v0.26",
    "df_min_version": "0.42.05",
    "df_max_version": "0.43.03",
    "title": "DawnFortress",
    "tooltip": "Functional graphics set with high clarity between sprites."
}
Pages: [1] 2