Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Bare Bones) Lazy WinDoze Pack [v0.43.05]  (Read 6845 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Bare Bones) Lazy WinDoze Pack [v0.43.05]
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:19 am »

A Lazy Newb Pack for Windows.

Why you need this: makes it easy to use and switch graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress without corrupting your game.

Includes:
  • 64-bit (and 32-bit) Dwarf Fortress (SDL version)
  • lots of graphics packs
  • SoundSense

Does not include:
  • Dwarf Therapist
  • DFHack
  • Text Will Be Text
  • Armok Vision
  • other apps

Download link: Lazy WinDoze Pack download
Requires maybe Windows XP or later.

Credits:

Spoiler: Mods: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Color palettes: (click to show/hide)

Protect that Toady guy.

He's a national treasure![/list][/list]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:07:56 am by jecowa »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Bare Bones) Lazy WinDoze Pack [v0.43.05]
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:58 am »

List your complaints and grievances below:

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 02:58:14 am »

Pack updated (v0.43.05-a) – Now with 32-bit support!
(64-bit support is still included and highly recommended for those who can run it.)
  • Updated to PyLNP v0.12a
  • Mods now included
  • 2 new graphics packs
  • lots of updates and fixes
More changelog stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:36:08 am »

Just updated to version 0.43.05-d.

Changes:
  • Updated Warcraft Mod to v1.2.1 (adds hippogryphs, raptors, and storm giants, among other things)
  • Updated Spellcrafts Mod to v4.04 (makes the magic study building constructable, adds the weresalamander, and makes dwarven magicians a playable civ)
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the game to freeze when the Fortress Defense mod was used in combination with one of these graphics packs: Phoebus, Ironhand, Mayday, Obsidian, DawnFortress

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:32:52 pm »

Thank you.

fondfoat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:52:35 pm »

Thank you. This pack is perfect. So many of the additions to the games take away from the game itself. I mean, Dwarf Therapist is the biggest cheat tool invented. Cheers for this pack :)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »

You're welcome. Just a small update to version "0.43.05-e":

Change log:
  • Updated Taffer to v4.3.
  • Fixed minecart track graphics in Spacefox.
  • Removed Appearance Tweaks mod (conflicted with some graphics packs).
  • Custom keyboard control configurations (if you add any) should be switchable from the launcher now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 06:13:37 am »

Thanks for the pack. It provides a bridge for me until DT and DFHack catch up so I can go back to using LNP (I disagree with fondfoat, both when it comes to preferences [I like my tools, but I certainly wouldn't want to force usage of them onto others], and in labeling DT the biggest cheat tool, as that "honor" should go to DFHack).
However, I just noted you've missed to change the title of the pyLNP launcher, so it says "Lazy Newb Pack". You may want to change it to reduce potential confusion with the bigger brother.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:25:21 am »

Thanks for the pack. It provides a bridge for me until DT and DFHack catch up so I can go back to using LNP.
You're welcome. That's the reason for the BareBones packs. With Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 being such a big update for DFHack, people were asking for something to help them install graphics until all the DFHack packs were updated. In the past, I've waited for Dwarf Therapist to update, but that was taking a while too.

(I disagree with fondfoat, both when it comes to preferences [I like my tools, but I certainly wouldn't want to force usage of them onto others], and in labeling DT the biggest cheat tool, as that "honor" should go to DFHack).
I like Dwarf Therapist too. If Dwarf Therapist had already been updated when I made this pack, it would have been included and the pack would have been called something else. Dwarf Therapist does have some kind of cheaty features in it. It gives access to information that is not normally visible in the game, such as the sexual preferences of Dwarves. (I don't think that's normally available, anyway.) I think Dwarf Therapist might even show who all is a vampire. (If it can do that, that's definitely cheaty.)

I'm not very familiar with DFHack, but it looks like most of the stuff in it that's enabled by default is just quality-of-life bugfixes and other niceties. I think using DFHack probably isn't very cheaty unless you type in cheat codes like "prospect" or "kill him".

However, I just noted you've missed to change the title of the pyLNP launcher, so it says "Lazy Newb Pack". You may want to change it to reduce potential confusion with the bigger brother.
Are you talking about the filename of the launcher, "Lazy Windoze Pack (PyLNP).exe"?

Or do you mean this thing?:

Edit: You meant this thing circled in red, right?:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:47:37 am by jecowa »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:56:20 am »

I think the vampire reveal trick using DT has been plugged (unintentionally showing actual kills and true name), but since I mostly play dead civs I usually get them as visitors only. In general, though, DT is basically a quality of life tool (and I don't think sexual preferences for dorfs at least is cheaty. For animals the non breeder rate is still too high to not use DT, in my view, as you still run a reasonable risk of getting two duds of the same gender if you keep the numbers down to 2+2 for each species to keep meat over production at a reasonable level [dead civ also means low pop fortresses]).

DFHack, on the other hand, allows a lot of cheaty stuff, but the things enabled by default are rather benign (I'm a big fan of the ability to name levers and stockpiles, for instance). I restrict myself to use "kill him/her" to work around the (almost?) unkillable undead head parts bug.
One sort of cheat I consider to use with DFHack is the ability to spawn saplings: I'm thinking about spawning saplings of trees I have seeds for in suitable biomes to simulate planting of trees (to get them where I want them, rather than the tedious hunting to find which trees to spare from logging).

I referred to your spoiler banner thing (or tried to: I probably should have added "UI" or something like that to make it clearer).

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »

I LOVE THIS <3

I like a lot of the graphics and tilesets available for dwarf fortress, and hate being tied to just one for the duration of a fort!

I am VERY bad at switching graphics without corrupting my save, so this is a lifesaver.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:44 am »

@PatrickLundall: Btw, you probably know, but dfhack's gaydar works for breeding - used that in 43.05 quad-generational fortress recently.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:24:34 pm »

Yes, I know of gaydar. I use my own modification of it to check for sexual preferences before pairing dorfs up, and for pregnancies after they've married. I had to modify it for 0.43.05 though since some of the relational data had been shifted up a level.