Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wars  (Read 4457 times)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wars
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 09:19:03 pm »

Wars can occur during Adventurer mode, but the timeframe is different: it's WAY slower than Fortress mode, so you don't see much of anything develop.
Also you'd have to hear of it: this requires A. Legends mode or B. someone you meet to hear of it, which requires moving caravans or diplomats to carry news. Or adventurers, I guess, if there are random adventurers all over.
To start a war, you're best off building a fort, retiring it, then doing your adventuring. If you can pull it off while adventuring, great! If not, well, kill off some megabeasts... and random hostile named jaguars... and retire your fancy adventurer in style at your fortress. Then, reclaim it and see what you can do with your adventurer. Make sure it's a dwarf - assuming you can ever find your way out of the dang mountainhomes you start in, you can apply for citizenship in the new versions (right? that works with your own adventurers?) and then become part of your own fort. Or just start as part of it and wander off. That'll work too. Start Demigod status if you do it that way, rather than the "challenge mode" peasant status.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 06:00:07 pm »

Any species can retire and join a fortress now.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 09:38:04 am »

War. War never changes.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 01:58:02 pm »

Potatoes, potatoes never change too.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:05 pm »

Sure they can, if you leave them long enough in the back of the cupboard... Back to the topic (I know its been a while).. Is what I asked possible yet? Can I attack one nation on behalf of another? Or steal something and give it to another? Also I saw in another post a Lady giving someone a quest to attack another nation on her behalf so I am wondering if that is how you can fight in wars for other nations?

Thanks

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »

Sure they can, if you leave them long enough in the back of the cupboard... Back to the topic (I know its been a while).. Is what I asked possible yet? Can I attack one nation on behalf of another? Or steal something and give it to another? Also I saw in another post a Lady giving someone a quest to attack another nation on her behalf so I am wondering if that is how you can fight in wars for other nations?

Thanks
One person being sent to kill some elves is not the equivalent of starting a DF war. The mission in question was given during a war which had already started. The Lady asked the adventurer to join in. If that's what you meant, then yeah, but that's always been possible since civs stated going to war with each other (just not so easily recognised).

So no, we can't specifically start wars yet. Moving artifacts around in next release will cause entities with a claim on it to try to get it by theft, diplomacy or war. Raiding your neighbour's repeatedly is most likely going to end in war too.

We won't be able to run a war from a fortress though as that needs access to the population (who armies come from), which we don't have yet.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 06:59:07 pm »

When will that update be? I guess I could start a war by killing the leader and then other people who have claim to the site will fight over it? Also yeah that was the one I was talking about.. Oh well. Hopefully soon !

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 07:20:08 pm »

When will that update be? I guess I could start a war by killing the leader and then other people who have claim to the site will fight over it? Also yeah that was the one I was talking about.. Oh well. Hopefully soon !
I take it you're new to DF?
The next update will come when no-one expects it, about 6 months later than Toady says it will (if he does, which he doesn't tend to these days). The current estimation is "soon".

I'm doubtful though, as the simple sounding 'kobold sites' which has been put off to the end , is surely going to run into all sorts of unexpected issues. Especially if site lag is addressed as was previously mentioned as something which may get looked at.

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:17 pm »

Yeah 2016. Makes sense. That's why I pick up the game every once in a while and play for a bit then leave. I'll see if I can cause some trouble with factions tonight and maybe answer my own questions :P

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »

I get frustrated with this game fairly often, but I think the thing that keeps bringing me back is that there is always something else to do.  I'm excited by the next update, because there is a lot of potential for interesting developments.  But without wanting to sound like a troll, there are always loose ends in DF.  There is always that thing *just out of reach*, where you think, "If I had this and this, then I could do this other awesome thing".  I think you're always going to have to use a bit of ingenuity and imagination to see if you can make the system do what you want.  Experimenting to see what you can do now is literally most of the fun I have with this game (even if I'm disappointed to find that I can't do everything I want).

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18:42 pm »

Yeah I agree, the amount of stuff you can already do and the simulation of world events is already quite fun. To be honest just reading about other peoples adventures on here is what keeps me coming back to play lol

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 04:31:25 am »

well you could cause a dispute via peace negotiations as a lord though tributes. but usually one has to be in power on a scale that raging an attack and becoming an enemy of another faction basically causes everyone in the civ up in arms.
Which is an Megaproject for adventurers that doesn't require Murdering your way to the top.
Probably one has to dip into Maxing out social skills and attributes to get elected mayor then Butter your way up the royal board.
though I don't know who else is going to Science DF world Settings and nobleships.

so far from what I know you can cause an insurrection, and basically force a Civil war but other than that more research is needed.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2]