Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Made a DF Language Translator  (Read 21381 times)

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I Made a DF Language Translator
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:16:17 pm »

I was actually surprised no one had done this yet.

Link: http://dwarffortress.tech/ Not hosted anymore, sorry guys! Although I can point you to the DF Wiki's Language article

• All four languages available (Dwarven, Elvish, Human, Goblin)
  • You still have to fill in any ambiguous terms (boring (drill into) vs boring (boring lecture)).
  • Toggle for filling in unknown words with plausible translations
  • Remember that the languages don't have any morphology (walk and walked, happy and happiness are the same)

Feedback is appreciated but I probably won't be doing anything earth shattering.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:33:17 am by Brightgalrs »

pubby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Made a DF Language Translator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:17:59 pm »

Neat.

gamerscout

• Bay Watcher
  • Warrior of the lurker army
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:22:16 pm »

this is interesting.
mádkik kębkir kar.

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:53:15 am »

Neat indeed!

Guess that means I can shelf my translator-project-thingy :)

Edit: small suggestion - when displaying that ambigous-term-selector, also display the english form of the word, not only adjective/verb(form)/noun/ect.
I for example am not that familiar with abstract english grammar (like many not-native-english-speakers, i guess), but i can take educated guesses based on words...
basically i should know what i am looking for (given that i know the term to be translated) but i do believe DF-Lingos swallow up some of the finer points of speech (such as the walk/walking/walked thing - do different verb forms even make sense in this?)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:29:52 am by crundle »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »

Edit: small suggestion - when displaying that ambigous-term-selector, also display the english form of the word, not only adjective/verb(form)/noun/ect.
I for example am not that familiar with abstract english grammar (like many not-native-english-speakers, i guess), but i can take educated guesses based on words...
basically i should know what i am looking for (given that i know the term to be translated) but i do believe DF-Lingos swallow up some of the finer points of speech (such as the walk/walking/walked thing - do different verb forms even make sense in this?)
The problem is they look the same. For instance, "boring":
atęk (verb present participle, drill) = The dwarf is boring a tunnel.
edod (adjective) = The boring elf.
edod (verb present participle, boredom) = The elf is boring me.

Thankfully, it doesn't really make a difference for most translations. "Jumps" always translates into "mâtzang", regardless of form. You just need to know which words mean something completely different.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:58:22 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:56:51 pm »

Wait are the four languages the same through every world/version of the game downloaded? I had thought that each world gen would generate new languages from scratch, with certain proper nouns being consistent across world gens (e.g. Urist). Just typing that out made me realize how unlikely that is.

I feel really silly for not know that after all this time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »

IIRC, only kobold names are randomly generated.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 03:13:41 am »

You rock.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »

Hey thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement.

Neat.
Thanks, friend

this is interesting.
mádkik kębkir kar.
Your post made me realise that "dimensions" and "interesting" both translate to "kar" ("dimensions" being an actual translation). I should do something about that.

Neat indeed!

Guess that means I can shelf my translator-project-thingy :)

Aha, someone who had a similar idea. Beat ya to it!

The point of the ambiguity dropdown is that the english words are all homophones. It's still not ideal as is, I've played around with the idea only displaying the minimum amount of information that will differentiate each of the options (only noun and verb for "jumps", for example).

IIRC, only kobold names are randomly generated.
That's quite interesting, I've never even thought about the kobold's language. I don't think I've seen any kobold sites or names, what do they tend to look like?

EDIT: Word of god

You rock.
Thanks

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:56:07 pm by Brightgalrs »

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »

I would love to see the result of the translation with interlinear glosses. The widely accepted best practice for current linguists are the Leipzig glossing rules or some variant of it.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:00:28 am »

This is awesome! I was looking for something like this exactly this! Certainly beats looking things up in the text files!
Maybe you could use colour coding or superscript/subscript to highlight the individual words/translations?

p.s. +goblin, elven and human languages! that's pretty boss!
p.p.s also: thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! etc.

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »

ahhh, you did it before me, i was planning to code this myself with java servlet, nice job

source? or closed?
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »

ahhh, you did it before me, i was planning to code this myself with java servlet, nice job

source? or closed?
A little late with this response...
Git hub here: https://github.com/Brightgalrs/Dwarf-Interpreter

Don't expect ☼Code☼. There is something funky going on with the hash function because of how PHP does the modulo operator.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:13 am »

Any plans to add reverse translation, for example, Dwarven to English?

Nilbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:55 pm »

This is seriously cool and I have found myself translating my kids conversations into Dwarvish (elvish is not a language we speak at our house).

That said, I believe it only proper that you post on the "Signs that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much" thread "2317: Develop an English to Dwarvish translator."  I will then post "2318: Use aforementioned English to Dwarvish translator in everyday conversations."

Pages: [1] 2