Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7806 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I am back. What a better way to celebrate Ten Years of Dwarf Fortress than with a succession fortress?

As of posting - I'm going to be running some worldgens as of now to pick a "good" world, in the latest version.

Rules Fortress "Advice":

We can run a latest version game (43.05 is the latest version as of the tenth anniversary), but we can also run an ancient version concurrently. We can also consider an adventure mode succession.

Make a decent attempt at not completely wrecking the fortress.

Allow for big populations, be ready to amend your d_init and init files.

People who die get redwarfed UNLESS they ask not to be redwarfed. As with the old forts, your subsequent characters have a roman numeral that gets incremented from the previous value.

Don't [REDACTED] up the tileset. If it can be converted back to ASCII mode without a program or modding the text files it's fine, but otherwise, no.

If we get books on necromancy, please make sure we can choose who can read them. Really.

We can run turns on a "what you can do" basis, if people want.

You can use DFHack to fix bugs, if something game-breaking happens. Example being getting dwarves out of trees, but then you should try to be creative. Place creativity above DFHack as long as you aren't hurting too many dwarfs.

Turns go on three phases. There's a Monday-Friday turn (5 days), a Saturday turn (24 hours), and a Sunday turn (24 hours), this sounds crazy except this is dwarf fortress, and we're going to get the fort rolling for up to three years each time [UP_TO_INTERPRETATION]. If people want to do a "drunk Friday" 24 hour event they can.

The Grand Master of Dwarf Fortress Overseerage may make demands of the overseers to do stuff. Whether that stuff gets done is up to you. Any consequences will be up to everyone else, or, the next player.

Weekday Slot Signups Below:
CaptainArchmage
Gwolfski
Zanzetkuken The Great
Moony The Human

Caturday Slot Signups Below:
Zanzetkuken The Great - 13th August
Vikram - 20th August 13th August 20th August
Marcellus - 27th August
Onciblu - 27th August 3rd September

Sunday Slot Signups Below
Waistcoats - 14th August 21st August
IMMORTAL-D - 15th August 28th August

Save Files:

First Year Save for the Archive (and anyone to pick up): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12361

Go on. You know you want to. Post pics of the insanity.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:28:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tenth Anniversary of Dwarf Fortress: The Party Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:40:06 pm »

-Reserved Post-

You can go ahead and post, don't worry. There's only needed to be one reserved posts. If it gets too chaotic we'll start a new threat.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »

Oh man, I'd love to hop in for the party fort. I hope it all goes really well, we can have lots of !FUN! to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps even a festive visit to the circus to cap things off, but that's a long way away. Sign me up for Overseering, probably in the third slot if you're taking the week, someone takes saturday and I can take Sunday. I would happily do earlier, but unfortunately I'm heading off to scenic wales on Wednesday night and coming back on Saturday night, delaying my participation a tad.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:58:03 pm »

Oh man, I'd love to hop in for the party fort. I hope it all goes really well, we can have lots of !FUN! to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps even a festive visit to the circus to cap things off, but that's a long way away. Sign me up for Overseering, probably in the third slot if you're taking the week, someone takes saturday and I can take Sunday. I would happily do earlier, but unfortunately I'm heading off to scenic wales on Wednesday night and coming back on Saturday night, delaying my participation a tad.

UK Player? Nice, I'm going to probably take today to set up a fortress. I have a good desktop set up (as in, it runs Star Citizen on Max Settings) and I can run a lot of parallel worldgens (I've tried it for 1000 year worldgens on a server system with more cores but likely slower cores).

If the Weekday slot finishes early, I think the next person signed into a weekday slot takes over. Or, maybe they should just play on.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:00:53 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Note that if you run the latest version, dfhack won't be available.

If going for big pops, absolutely should make tiny embark, especially with low time to play, to keep FPS up - maybe even 1x1, though that kinda limits the fort to 3 biomes at most.

Define good world? I did two interesting if incomplete ones for Cracklife, for instance, but going out my way to get no iron on those maps might be undesirable for this fort.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:38:28 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I'll take this saturday.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take this saturday.

You're on. As I have pointed out, so we don't waste time, should we not do "as much as you can play"? Say put a 4 year cap (1 year presidential term in the USA) if you're taking a break from everything else during your weekday term.

Note that if you run the latest version, dfhack won't be available.

If going for big pops, absolutely should make tiny embark, especially with low time to play, to keep FPS up - maybe even 1x1, though that kinda limits the fort to 3 biomes at most.

Define good world? I did two interesting if incomplete ones for Cracklife, for instance, but going out my way to get no iron on those maps might be undesirable for this fort.

Thank the Lord Jesus. DFHack, I have respect for, but there's also respect I have for playing DF without major game-changing mods (but languages and new megabeasts are welcome). I'm maxing out minerals, civilisations, and am scanning for a place with giant elephants in it. A "good" world should have a potential for fun and development, which means no isolated forts where only one or no civilisations has access.

World size will be probably Small or Medium. I'm currently running a no-mods Medium worldgen. I will probably take the previous, small worldgen I have and max out the volcanoes, maybe add a few extra creatures and language, and hit "generate". Modding takes time from play (which is really improved now) and the heavy emphasis is on getting this show on the road.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:01:29 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank the Lord Jesus.
In this thread, on this day, because it was He who was responsible, it absolutely should be the Toady One :P
new megabeasts are welcome). I'm maxing out minerals, civilisations, and am scanning for a place with giant elephants in it. A "good" world should have a potential for fun and development, which means no isolated forts where only one or no civilisations has access.

World size will be probably Small or Medium. I'm currently running a no-mods Medium worldgen. I will probably take the previous, small worldgen I have and max out the volcanoes, maybe add a few extra creatures and language, and hit "generate". Modding takes time from play (which is really improved now) and the heavy emphasis is on getting this show on the road.

Here is a pocket worldgen I've done where you can get giant elephants (might want to increase minimum temp to get more tropicals), tons of megabeasts and towers, all civs kinda, (low pops on non-goblins), and there's atm 1 volcano - if you want more, swapping PS_VL's 99s to 100s and increasing min volcano number might work, though it will result in mountains towards the edges.

I'm not sure how to join modding and tilesets with the request you gave in the OP, on account of most tilesets using at least bit different base characters from vanilla, beyond the images itself.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:17:30 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

normal turn pls
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried a medium world. It's really hard to get the combination of environment needed for the project (like all the civilisations having access), though, and there's FPS issues likely if there's too many rivers. This is on a really powerful processor mind you (including single core performance). There's another site which I already did a fort on, but has a necromancer tower, and technically I can throw in a new fort as I have the worldgen save.

The mod I was planning is essentially: Add in all the words that were taken out, add in the new words needed (a few mods already too), add in all the other elemental colossi.

normal turn pls

You're added.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sign me up for next Saturday, please.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Subject
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »

Hm, what's wrong with the cage match worldgen I linked though, insufficient elves?

It's rather difficult to cram 10k elves into 1 forest retreat with no other forest retreats closer to you with tons of megabeasts in world, on account of elves getting easily wrecked by megabeasts (or having elephants kill the megabeasts) and loving to play exchange student. If you can manage it do tell, but I expect you wont.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Subject
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »

Hm, what's wrong with the cage match worldgen I linked though, insufficient elves?

It's rather difficult to cram 10k elves into 1 forest retreat with no other forest retreats closer to you with tons of megabeasts in world, on account of elves getting easily wrecked by megabeasts (or having elephants kill the megabeasts) and loving to play exchange student. If you can manage it do tell, but I expect you wont.

The main issue is: the world needs to be large enough. However, not too large that FPS becomes a problem. The emphasis then falls on small and maybe some medium size worlds, but mostly small ones. This seems to be separate from embark size. I want to allow us surface flux, etc. Volcano not needed - dig deeper.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW for the party.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright. I generated a new world, region7 in my save file (while concurrently loading a bunch of Steam Games from Humble Bundle into my library, which tells me between likely finite element analysis, steam games, documents, and dwarf fortress I need to order a new hard drive), it seems we have a tropical forest with access to all races, with surface flux AND deep marble. The only question is whether we have a region which is hilly, so we can get through the aquifer. Will check.

I have to do the scouting so we don't have a fort failure situation beforehand, particularly due to FPS problems.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6