Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7781 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Alright. I generated a new world, region7 in my save file (while concurrently loading a bunch of Steam Games from Humble Bundle into my library, which tells me between likely finite element analysis, steam games, documents, and dwarf fortress I need to order a new hard drive), it seems we have a tropical forest with access to all races, with surface flux AND deep marble. The only question is whether we have a region which is hilly, so we can get through the aquifer. Will check.

I have to do the scouting so we don't have a fort failure situation beforehand, particularly due to FPS problems.

If there's an aquifer, we can axe our way through it.  If a person doesn't know how, they can cut down trees to build up an outpost on the surface.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

If we get on the riverbank, we can have access to both a river and through the aquifer, usually, without cutting through the stone. We can bust the aquifer by traditional methods. However, a lot of options are open. Incidentally, walling off with the river embankment is a bit more challenging.

There's no towers in this world. Then nobody needs towers for crazy shit to start happening.

Alright. I generated a new world, region7 in my save file (while concurrently loading a bunch of Steam Games from Humble Bundle into my library, which tells me between likely finite element analysis, steam games, documents, and dwarf fortress I need to order a new hard drive), it seems we have a tropical forest with access to all races, with surface flux AND deep marble. The only question is whether we have a region which is hilly, so we can get through the aquifer. Will check.

I have to do the scouting so we don't have a fort failure situation beforehand, particularly due to FPS problems.

If there's an aquifer, we can axe our way through it.  If a person doesn't know how, they can cut down trees to build up an outpost on the surface.

There's special "plans" I have for the surface outpost. "Plans".
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I think the wiki has nice intructions on how to pierce aquifers.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

Just a good old-fashioned succession eh?  I'll take the next slot, which I believe is the second Sunday now.

Edit; Oh, and a Founder if they're not all taken.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Got a trip this saturday.  Move me to the weekday slot after Gwolfski
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile

PTW
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mentioned old concurrent version too, I'm interested for v43.03 for LNP. 

The only thing I really want from dfhack is putting the last material used on top of the list when building (walls, floors etc).

And with 3 game years and 24 hours, I can breach aquifer and maybe even get magma pumping up if there is iron/nickel/sand around.

It might be interesting to see 2 fortress, one vanilla 43.05 and one dfhack 43.03 using the same map and embark site.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mentioned old concurrent version too, I'm interested for v43.03 for LNP. 

The only thing I really want from dfhack is putting the last material used on top of the list when building (walls, floors etc).

And with 3 game years and 24 hours, I can breach aquifer and maybe even get magma pumping up if there is iron/nickel/sand around.

It might be interesting to see 2 fortress, one vanilla 43.05 and one dfhack 43.03 using the same map and embark site.

Old Concurrent Version as in 40d or 23a or before 23a. Old ass-versions, where names such as buttocks clinched were still possible, where steam was an option, and where you had to irrigate your farms yearly, and where there were no notes on any levers. It shows where and how far we've come from and how far we have yet to go.

Just a good old-fashioned succession eh?  I'll take the next slot, which I believe is the second Sunday now.

Edit; Oh, and a Founder if they're not all taken.

Added. Really. Just added.

Edit: What skills do people want to have? Be aware you have a lot of choices. You can be an immediately useful dwarf, a dwarf whose skills will become useful later on, or perhaps just the local scholar.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:38:27 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

Edit: What skills do people want to have? Be aware you have a lot of choices. You can be an immediately useful dwarf, a dwarf whose skills will become useful later on, or perhaps just the local scholar.
Do we know what kind of a site we're settling on?  Carpenter is more useful in a dense Jungle than a Mason, etc.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

Normal turn please
Im going to go for the 'big suprise' style update, pushing a few hints on whats going on but leaveing people to piece together the puzzle or get the save

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Miss this archmage?  I'm stil in the old slot.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Miss this archmage?  I'm stil in the old slot.

I've fixed it.

The trouble we have is - we can have options things that would make this fort a decent site to embark on:

Surface Flux and Deep Flux
Topology that makes it really easy to break through aquifers
Crazy untamed wilds that intersects between pandalands temperate climate, giant-elephant infested jungles, and optional ocean (I'm not happy due to FPS problems)
Bigass maps that allow access to better topology but ruin FPS for most users (think 6x4 or 8x4).

If we're OK without giant elephants and extremely dangerous wildlife I can just call up the starting point to my older fort and it can be mined out pretty fast (but allows a lot of disaster situations too).

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Topology that makes it really easy to break through aquifers

Someone who knows how can rig up the double-slit method on near any location.  Til someone pulls it off, the surface can be built up.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

My typical world is Medium sized; 129x129, with no discernible performance impact.  I think embark size has the biggest effect, along with tree density, flowing water, etc.  If you're looking for something truly crazy, I shamelessly recommend my personal world config;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I suugest you up volcanoes.

Anyway, dibs on being the scolar.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6