Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7807 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I'll look at the medium gen posted for the sake of having an alternative or concurrently running fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I've decided to use the unimaginatively codenamed "region7" save, as I have already a save on this. There are a few options that will NOT involve crazy shit that will make this a not-very-party fort.

-A forest outpost on the western section of The Dim Muscular Forests, it's a calm region. We can have a waterfall and fire clay, likely some sand, or no waterfall and black sand and non-fire clay. I'd rather not have the waterfall due to FPS issues. This is preferable.
-A good-oriented fortress shrubland region in the far south, near a polar region, but we have to dig down further. This is in shrubland.
-We can try a wall fort. There are two passes we can feasibly wall off, that go between The Finger of Gulfs and The Chunky Point. The Finger of Gulfs also has a standalone section in the centre of the pass, dividing it into two passes, we can wall off the non-aligned section with a 2x5 wall or the section between the two mountain ranges (by name and alignment) with a 1x16 2x16 region, which may have FPS troubles or space issues.
-There's a good aligned forest to the north.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:59:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

I didn't realize you had a site already picked out.  The victims Founders demand pictures.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't realize you had a site already picked out.  The victims Founders demand pictures.

There's a few sites. You can see the descriptions, note this is just an advisory. Everything besides the first forest region mentioned (which is 4x4) is questionable. I did a few test embarks to see what the hell was up with regions, some of them have waterfalls or crazy river layouts with an effective pool in the middle. There's also a region with a mystery cavern collapse going on near the forest one (I did a 16x16 test to see the topology better, also good for lore stuff).

A curious adventure mode attempt would be to establish some log cabins and then embark over the place.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Marcellus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'd want to avoid calm areas in a succession fort as without a steady stream of nasties these things tend to stagnate. It would also be nice to avoid anything larger than 3x4 to avoid FPS issues for those of us with less capable machines.

Also if Vikram no longer has the twentieth could I?

Kahlish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW !

Voting for the wall-fort or the polar good biome. The group HAS to be named The Glorious Decade !

Also, could I be dwarfed as captain of the guard or hammerer ? Male, if possible.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the wall fort sounds good. Sets a goal to strive towards, a starting point.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:10:28 am by Waistcoats »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Huh. I did run a few painted 127hx65w worldgens (not my best work, nowhere near complete civilization control...But I improved my understanding of rivers, lakes and submerged volcanoes), but I assumed you already picked the site circa your next post.

Untamed and Calm regions aren't all that different if there are no thieving or predatory animals present, btw.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I get a saturday on day 27 or later?
Ô_ quack

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There may be delays owing to the issues in setting up the fortress. The best stop two days ago is still the best stop today. We also have a mission, which kind of justifies the need to have a "calm" area and heavy supplies of steel, surface flux, and marble

There's no libraries in this world! We need to build a library.

The wall fort has little soil (nothing useful) and may have FPS issues due to the size (it spans across the whole tile, about 32 tiles are used). The region is calm but there are undead.

Gwolfski will likely be one of the library scholars once it's sure we have supplies.

EDIT: STOP THE PRESSES

The dwarven civilization I have chose is called The Cradled Tours. Now take heed

In the early winter of 72, The Artificial Ivy attacked The Roughness of Mortification of The Cradled Tours at Bowelpapers.
In the early winter of 72, The Artificial Ivy defeated The Cradled Tours and pillaged Bowelpapers.

*mic drop*

Edit 2: We've embarked. The embark location is called Firecastle. The Group Name is The Glorious Age (decade not available). The image is called The Gears of Ignition. Expect an update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:53:21 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firecastle, a Tenth Anniversary DF Succession: The Party Fort
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »

So it's Vikram next, and then me?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »

So it's Vikram next, and then me?

Starting this on time has the current record of Weapon Ice Fuck and Operation Fuck The World.

Introduction Part 2: The Expedition

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 10th Obsidian 124

I've been asked to lead out an expedition from Rooterroom, capital of The Cradled Tours. Based on the information from CORE, we have a lot of good quality flux stone to work with. Apparently I was selected as I had a "well rounded" knowledge of weaponsmithing and astronomy, and apparently they need that on the frontier. Naturally, as this is my longest journey outside The Finger of Gulfs I'm reading up on everything beforehand.

The other dwarves selected are:

Gwolfski - Chemist, "amateur farmer", speaker, and apparently was a participant on CORE.
Waistcoats - Mechanic and Optics Engineer I worked with for some astronomy-related work. She also worked on CORE.
Zanzetkuken the Great - Our Mason. He also worked in fluid engineering, so he can be trusted to carve a floodgate properly.
Moony the Human - I'm not sure she's a dwarf or human. She claims to be a human but looks like a dwarf and drinks like a dwarf. She's a miner and a "critical thinker".
Vikram - A medic and miner. I believe his main job is to look after those injured from mining accidents. I mean, it couldn't be any other way. Right? Right?
IMMORTAL-D - Not sure whether that's his stage name or real name, but he is a carpenter but took part in some big arena fights or something. Not sure if they were legal.

We're heading out on 1st Granite of 125 and heading east and then South through the pass and the Burned Smoke-Hills down to The Dim Muscular Forests.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2016, 05:13:35 pm »

Journal of CaptainArchmage, Expedition Leader of The Glorious Age, 15th Granite 125

After a long journey, we have finally arrived at our destination. We had a bad case of sun sickness and Vikram came down with dysentery issues that left us in poor condition. I think it started from those crows we found dead in the pass - Vikram decided to eat a few and spent the following week expelling a bloody soup from his bowels. In other news, I'm going to be learning to cook, since we don't have a tavern around here. Note to self, have more than one doctor on your journey. Note to self, don't trust other people with your food.

We're officially Outpost Firecastle. I've designated myself as broker, IMMORTAL-D as militia commander, and Vikram as the Chief Medical Dwarf, designated a food stockpile, a pasture and ordered a carpenter's workshop and loom set up. All the cedar we've brought with us will be turned into beds. The new job orders are that I'm going to be doing cooking, cheese-making, and milking, Zanzetkuken will be collecting the gigantic spider webs that I'm seeing, and Waistcoats will be cutting down cedar and pine trees in the area. We're cutting into the mountain at the stream level, and this could well be our main entrance.

19th Granite

There's a strange geological thing going on underground. Moony the Human cut through some chalk, through a large quantity of black sand, and then straight into a huge deposit of magnetite. Looks like we have plenty of iron and flux.

I'm also turning the kangaroo milk into cheese now, while Gwolski gathers surface plants. I didn't ask how they got kangaroo milk.

2nd Slate

Zanzetkuken the Great ran into a rattlesnake on the way to collect webs. I thought this was a safe area!

In other news, I'm also going to do shearing, spinning, and milking. We have the animals and might as well get it done.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:42:59 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2016, 07:07:54 pm »

It has begun! :D  Can we get some embark pics?  And the Founder's profiles.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2016, 08:43:48 pm »

It has begun! :D  Can we get some embark pics?  And the Founder's profiles.

I'm on PC Master Race 1440p monitors. I need to cut the screenshots down to size.

OH, YOU WANT FOUNDER PROFILES? HERE'S YOUR FUCKING PROFILES:

Captain Archmage - loves weaponsmithing but wants to study the stars. He worked on CORE at the Rooterroom. He's not above doing shit himself, like making cheese or distilling sunshine, even if he hasn't tried it before.

Gwolski - he worked on the mysterious CORE project while distilling sunshine and growing sun berries. He's a decent chemist, though some have suspicions about what the said chemistry is used for.

IMMORTAL-D - When illegal gladiator matches were shut down, IMMORTAL-D (stage name) became an ordinary carpenter. That's all you need to know, but we still don't know how many people IMMORTAL-D killed, if any.

Waistcoats - Waistcoats worked on irrigation and magma systems within the mountain halls for years. In her spare time, she worked on optics systems to analyse rocks. She was abducted and forced to work in an undisclosed location, but the new monarch later had the operation shut down and recruited Waistcoats for the CORE project.

Moony the Human - Is she a dwarf? Is she an exceptionally short human? Nobody knows, but she's good at mining and critical thinking.

Zanzetkuken the Great - A mason and architect who was proficient drawbridge and floodgate design. A new fortress needs masons and he was recruited.

Dr. Vikram - After graduating from the Headshoots School of Medicine, Vikram became a mining doctor. He looked after dwarves who'd succeeded in injuring themselves or had fallen down stairs. Despite his medical background he doesn't have a clue about what's safe to eat and what isn't.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:46:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 06:29:04 am »

Well then. Starting off my first succession fort with a dwarf with a heaping helping of dysentery and "expelling a bloody soup from his bowels." What an auspicious start. Truly.

It could always be worse though, like the first few seconds of my first LP-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6