Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7787 times)

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firecastle, a Tenth Anniversary DF Succession: The Party Fort
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 07:08:16 am »

Well that looks like a wonderful way to start, heralding things to come.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 08:05:22 am »

So wait, is CaptainArchmage done with his turn or still going? Cause I appear to be slotted in on 13th August, which was yesterday. What exactly is going on?

edit: And what version are we playing on?

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:01 am »

Well, at least the bloody diarrhea is less noticeable now, what with everyone's trousers being filled with blood and all.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 09:44:45 am »

Our esteemed host needs to get organized, or pass the gauntlet.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 10:21:42 am »

It's actually Sunday night over here so I can easily wait for another 12 hours before starting my turn and have it done in the next twelve hours or so

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 10:49:22 am »

I'm essentially free for the next week, so I'll take my turn when I can get it, and I can have it finished in any given 24 hours

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2016, 11:51:02 am »

Sorry guys - I know this ended up like Project Fuck the World (the first iteration) in Dwarf Fort. Will try to get this done by Monday. Logs for the next few hours may be delayed as I will be downloading a Star Citizen patch, and it will likely eat up my internet bandwidth capacity to the point I will not be able to access any other websites.

Vikram - Dysentery is what comes of eating formerly undead crows on a journey. Fortunately, we're out of that asscrack, for now.

Edit: We're not in the undead biome. We're in a calm biome. Note "calm" effects the creatures that live on the site, and there's nothing to say Necromancer Sankis Deathbringer won't be building his tower next door to our fortress due to the world evolving as we play.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:52:39 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »

Quarterly Report, 1st Hematite, Early Summer, 125 by CaptainArchmage

The first season is over! Well, technically, this is a seasonal report, because it isn't yet the 15th, and we arrived here on 15th Granite.

We got to here from Rooterroom, the capital of The Cradled Tours, and established the outpost Firecastle in The Dim Muscular Forests. There was some dysentery on the way, which goes to show none of us should be eating crows that have been dead for more than a few days. As a result, I'm doing most of the food-related work. I think this is decent as I'm out in the open rather than underground for now, but that's going to quickly change.

We've set up a large pasture on the surface on a flat area that could easily house a large keep in the future, along with modest logging operations. The surface plant gathering has obtained a lot of spices and edibles. I'm wondering whether we really need underground farming, but then we also need some proper dwarven food grown in a safe space. We have a loom for obtaining thread from the strange webs we have on the surface, and a carpenter's shop for IMMORTAL-D to do all his carpentry work in. So far Zanzetkuken has finished cleaning the accessible webs off the surface, and hasn't got any more work to do. We've got eight beds, then barrels, a minecart, some wheelbarrows, a bin, and two stepladders made. I also asked for a bookcase and I think IMMORTAL-D's work is quite exceptional, though it isn't masterwork yet. IMMORTAL-D's life goal seems to be mastering a skill and I think he's going to get there sometime soon out here.

Wish I had the inspiration to make a great work of art, like a really powerful sword.

Underground, I'm having the miners encircle the chalk underground by digging out the soil. This requires a lot of telling them what to mine and I think it's taking over my life. There's some crazy shit going on with magnetite being mined out in the black sand, and not knowing where the sand ends, but we've also got our first barracks done underground. We've planted all our sweet pods and quarry bushes. I was going to have Gwolski plant some plump helmets too but he decided to scour the surface for more plants instead. Once we get the storeroom for food finished, we'll move all that underground along with the anvil and the furniture that has been finished.

The rattlesnake situation was resolved when IMMORTAL-D kicked out it's teeth and one of it's fangs. We now have a supply of rattlesnake teeth to work with, though the snake escaped.

Strange things are afoot across the river. Around 19th Slate, I saw a herd of rhinos in one of the trees across the river. They're gone now but I'm absolutely positive they were up in the trees and not on the ground. Maybe I should cut down on the sunshine.

I've included a copy of the fortress' economic situation as it stands below. There are seven of us, and we have produced about 5300 Suns worth of wealth so far. We need to improve our booze production, though our plant supplies are holding out thanks to foraging.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 4th Hematite, 125

Our dogs sighted two kobolds trying to thieve our stuff! Damn, they must have a cave or residence near here. I'd better get everything underground before worse happens.

16th Hematite

No sign of the kobolds, but I've decided to take today to install the bookcase in the dormitory. We'll have a library in this fort and the first name suggested was The Mansion of Walls. Yes, I know, the dormitory is for sleeping in and will be a barracks but we have to start somewhere.

20th Hematite

In a decent season I wouldn't have to make these reports every few days. This isn't one of those seasons. Today we've got migrants. The list is below.

Arthropleura, a stonecrafter who can handle the hammer easily.
Sanctume, a glassmaker who seems to have been through way too many fist fights.
Marcellus Bladedancer, a brewer and, I suspect, a sunshiner, who is quite competent with a sword.
Sanctume Bladedancer, the second of the two swordsdwarfs who are married and have two kids. She isn't apparently related to Sanctume, but what are the odds?
Marcellus and Sanctum's daughter and son, aged six and seven.
Jumping Jack, who is great at stonecrafting and masonry.
Moobediah Jones, a hammerdwarf and a great wax worker.

I selected Moobediah Jones as sheriff, since we're a large number of beehives off from doing waxworks here. Apparently, he has a "friend" called Kahlish in tow, probably arriving at the next migrant wave. I now have to direct the excavation of the trade depot.

Note: I'll pick someone whose name fits in, and does a PTW, to dwarf as the daughter and son of Marcellus and Sanctume bladedancer. They will have the name "Bladedancer" in there. I hope I've fixed everything else I need to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:58:02 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seasonal Report by CaptainArchmage, 1st Limestone, 125

This was a great season. We've had a wave of highly skilled migrants and we've carved out food storage and moved all the food underground. Moobediah Jones is our new sheriff and the south barracks and armoury have been completed, along with the tower staircase that should, eventually, rise through the surface if things go my way. We also have a dining hall or inn carved out but there's no furnishings since the chalk is reserved for flux use, and bauxite has been used for magma-safe doors, drawbridges, and mechanisms so the outpost of Firecastle cutting edge standards in defences.

Economically we have nearly doubled our seasonal production, but a lot of work has run dry. I've been preparing meals for the fortress (I don't trust anyone else to cook after the horrible dysentery episode on the way here). Got yelled at for burning the sweet potatoes at first but I think the cooking quality is on the way up. I had another candlenut tree cut down to make wood for beds and barrels, but we'll probably buy even more off the caravan when it arrives in a few days time.

In the coming season we need to furnish the tavern, create a stockpile for booze and prepared food, and carve out the library and some dwellings for our citizens.

Caravan Log by CaptainArchmage, 19th Limestone 125

Two days ago the caravan arrived and I've now completed the trades. The good news is we traded my prepared roasts for food, metal, some stone blocks, plump helmets, paper, and books to stock the library with, which incidentally has been carved out. I've also concluded a trade agreement so we can sell certain items at a higher price next time, and will get better supplies. I'm still making roasts so we'll trade them away as they go, obtaining the items the fortress needs.

The news is mixed. Apparently, there's a new mayor of The Vessel of Tundras, which used to run a hillocks called Drilledmountain, but that site was conquered by The Labyrinthine Plague. I'm not sure what happened after what though. However, a new settlement has been set up in The Roasted Smoke-Hills, so our civilisation continues to expand.

In other news, I'm going to sleep now.

Journal of Captain Archmage, 25th Limestone 125

Woke up today to something that sounded like a herd of pachyderms stampeding through the fortress. Looking out, I saw a group of migrants that had just come in, and, since I wasn't going to sleep much longer, went to The Ultimate Mansion to get something to eat. Right when I walk out the door, Arthropleura gets out of bed, runs out, and goes to sit down in the middle of the dining room without saying a word. Later, I realise she's in a strange mood and wants a craftdwarf's shop. I'm having one installed in the library.

The migrant wave is really young. We have Fleeting Frames, a 25 year-old clothier married to a gemsetter with three children of whom two are now resident in the fortress, Ulrich von Pimpdwarf, the self-styled son of the Baron of Clanroofs, and a few other dwarves many under the age of twenty. We also got Onciblu, however, who is much older at over 100 years old, and is a stonecrafter. I haven't seen any sign of Khalish, so he either decided not to come, got held up, or was robbed on the way.

Journal of Captain Archmage, 5th Sandstone, 125

Arthropleura finished her artifact today, a magnetite amulet! It's worth about 22,800 Suns, almost doubling our wealth. We need to now secure this item from the kobolds, so I'll make sure the entrances are watched by dogs at all times.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:40:59 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Can we please have pictures of layout?

Sounds like you're building a tower and have war with goblins. Better set up defences before hitting 80 pop.

And I believe this marks the first time I've been dorfed. I hope that the Other Parent has a preference for nice furniture, lest they produce some pointless craft in a mood. Feeling kinda like Vaarsuvius. Also, I ask that if my dorf gets a mood with multiple different materials tasked that the main material would be forbidden once they start working to produce artifact iron clothing (cloak or robe, hopefully) to outfit a miner with.

If you just put dogs there, I think they might want to run after their trainers or owners. Make at least one stay on chain/rope.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we please have pictures of layout?

Sounds like you're building a tower and have war with goblins. Better set up defences before hitting 80 pop.

And I believe this marks the first time I've been dorfed. I hope that the Other Parent has a preference for nice furniture, lest they produce some pointless craft in a mood. Feeling kinda like Vaarsuvius. Also, I ask that if my dorf gets a mood with multiple different materials tasked that the main material would be forbidden once they start working to produce artifact iron clothing (cloak or robe, hopefully) to outfit a miner with.

If you just put dogs there, I think they might want to run after their trainers or owners. Make at least one stay on chain/rope.

I may have to push everything back a week given the clusterfuck this setup has been. Then it took a few tries to get Boatmurdered's magma cannon online.

I dwarfed the people who posted PTW on here or otherwise and we have a few named dwarves that I just put in so we have some variety.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh, I who Dances with Blades.  Should name my spawns, Sorrow and Sorrow, for that is what they are destined to bring onto this world.

And a fellow namesake, one who brawls with green goblets, I see.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Quote from: CaptainArchmage link=topic=159881.msg7135303#msg7135303
I may have to push everything back a week given the clusterfuck this setup has been.

Just end your turn and pass it on.  The next two asked for 24 hour turns and Gwofski said he could complete his in 24.  Alternatively, skip the Saturday guy and give him this Saturday, since no one else has signed for another Saturday turn, putting him at the original date he signed up for.  Just cut it loose.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

I have to agree, especially given I expected superfast 1-day turns - if you don't have time to make fort yourself, let the next guy start while you get your ducks in order.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to agree, especially given I expected superfast 1-day turns - if you don't have time to make fort yourself, let the next guy start while you get your ducks in order.

Weekend turns are 24 hours. Usually. It helps to encourage the parallel for though. Just as planned. Just as planned. *Strange laugh*.

Oooh, I who Dances with Blades.  Should name my spawns, Sorrow and Sorrow, for that is what they are destined to bring onto this world.

And a fellow namesake, one who brawls with green goblets, I see.

Shaping up to a quality succession. We need more green goblets. We need more mugs. We need more people to dance with swords and deal with the wereweasels.

Wait, what?

Military Report, 14th Sandstone, 125 by CaptainArchmage

On the 11th we had a nearly apocalyptic situation where the wereweasel Tol Kundipadi nearly got into the fortress, but hung out in the drawbridge room for a few days until going after the pet duck Mosus Pinerag, who got a cut open wing. This was nearly an apocalyptic situation as the south entrance door was blocked due to a boulder of chalk left there by Zanzetkuken the Great. I'm going to have Zanzetkuken on cleaning up duty to make sure all entrances are up to health and safety standards.

The good news is Waistcoats scored the first kill we've had, against a honey badger. This violently-minded creature appears to have attacked after or during the werebeast attack and was quickly dealt with, as Waistcoats was serving as our woodcutter and used her axe properly.

Captain Archmage's Journal, 4th Timber 125

Sanctume Bladedancer wants to give her children the names Sorrow and Sorrow. I decided to give them titles as a result. One is now Shem Bladedancer the Sorrow of Dragons and the other is Lorbam Bladedancer the Sorrow of Beasts. Incidentally the latter took up all the characters available in that form.

With our miners having finished their work and the northern armoury being dug out I'm going to order the upper level housing cut out now.

Sanctume, that's literally a jackpot entry. You win a block of +mouldy alpaca cheese+.

Hold on to your seats, gentledwarfs, gentlehumans, and of course gentleelfs and gentlegoblins, it's going to get a lot rougher now we can literally engrave our own images. We're going to make Dwarf Fortress great again. Now you too can have a barrel of mouldy alpaca cheese in your office.

Seasonal Report by CaptainArchmage, 1st Moonstone, 125, Early Winter

Winter is upon us but our month was insanely productive. We survived the were-weasel attack but must be ready for the next. Our initial squad is called The Imperial Punches. The initial wave of housing, in the form of proper apartments for eight of us, are being dug out beneath the mountain. Our library, The Mansion of Walls, is somewhat furnished and is now in use. Economically, our production has more than doubled with 100,000 Suns worth of goods produced, not including exports. Arthropleura has produced our first artefact and is now making masterwork mugs for The Ultimate Mansion, the tavern.

While Waistcoats took some time to read up on weather patterns in The Mansion of Walls, she's now installing the control mechanisms for the south gate in the southern barracks and we'll have the north gates done by the end of winter. The second stairwell has been cut down to the geniss layers, beneath some quartzite, where the rest of the smaller housing will go for everyone else, probably along with fueled smelters to kick the steel industry into overdrive. I need to get some coal off the wagon along with some other ore we brought with us to get it to safety.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:21:29 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6