Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7799 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Quote from: CaptainArchmage link=topic=159881.msg7137170#msg7137170
weekend turns are 24 hours. Usually.

And now you have had two.  If they are supposed to be equal to a five day weekday turn, you are running overtime on that front.  He'll, it's Bern five days since you started anyway.  Cut it loose.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Yearly Report by CaptainArchmage, 1st Granite 126

Winter's over! Finally! It's over! We have both gates hooked up and we have the new housing on Founders' Street set up for all of those who started the fortress, plus Ulrich von Pimpdwarf. We have about ten houses down Urist Luther King Jr. Boulevard with beds and no other furnishings, and about two apartments with ten rooms each down Sankis X Street (almost totally unfurnished, waiting for residents to arrive). Library Street, which reaches to the surface-level central staircase could use some fortification and the actual library entrance for The Mansion of Walls, but otherwise it's actually safer. Arthropleura made us some extra bookcases for the library, and I had the cinnabar I bought from the caravan, the one with all the black and yellow wrapping (which I used to filter the booze with), installed in there too.

For all the houses down Founders' Street we've got a kind of routine for furnishing. Doors, cabinets, armour stand, weapon rack, chests for each house. This should roll down all the other houses or apartments. We also have to furnish the inn as some people have already submitted petitions for citizenship and they should really be ready to rock at the heart of the party, not deep underground. We have a human hammerman, increasing by infinity percent the fort's multi-species composition.

On the 27th, Onciblu started screaming in The Ultimate Mansion that he'd got the best idea since automated minecart cannons. I think the reading has been doing him good. He wants stone, bones, and plant cloth which we either have or can make. Plant cloth has to be refined from pig tails, so I've ordered automatic looming of all cloth, dyed or not, and I've banned the use of pig tails for brewing until that time.

Economically, we've produced somewhat less this winter but I think we're doing well otherwise. The current wealth stands at 115,000 suns. I think the cooking contributed a lot to the wealth of the fortress and that food's being eaten due to the expanding population.

The new assignments are that Me and Gwolfski are going to be running The Mansion of Walls, we have a scribe, and Ulrich von Pimpdwarf will be the tavern keeper at The Ultimate Mansion.

First Year Save for the Archive (and anyone to pick up): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12361

Todo: A lot of editing images down to size.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:44:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got it. Familiarizing myself with the fort now.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Report for the quarter, 1st Hematite, early spring

I, Doctor Vikram, have finally recovered from that infernal ailment! And apparently been put in charge for the year. Hm.

The very moment the first pig tail pokes itself out of the soil, I have it spun into cloth. Onciblu practically bowls over anyone in the way to get hands on it and begins to work furiously, glaring at anyone who tries to peek into the workshop.

I spot the so called militia commander walking around aimlessly, completely unarmed! What utter nonsense, I command him to get back to carpentry until I get barracks and weapons made.

Our leader, CaptainArchmage finally has the chance to forge us some weapons, having been too busy for the forge before. It will do his health good to return to proper dwarven activities.

Speaking of dwarven necessities, our stock of drinks is heavily expanded as well.

While a smelter and forge are built, Onciblu completes her project, a chalk white mini-forge, so alike the real thing that the difference was one of scale and depicting the founding of Firecastle.
I was told it was worth an entire 27600 suns.

Now for a short meal...
I walk into the Ultimate Mansions, my own dining room not yet prepared and for a moment wonder if I've gone mad
Corpses of pig sows line the walls and the floors, and dwarves make merry without seemingly realizing it. This so offends my medical sensibilities I scream at half the bloody fort to get these things disposed off. And as it turns out, the fishery and butcher's were just letting the remains pile up as well!

And there's no place to sit either for Armok's sake make some damn chairs, JumpingJack.

I must distract myself from this travesty, where did I put that medical ethics scroll. Ah, there it is, time for some relaxing reading.

Fortunately, the mess is contained before the arrival of a new set of migrants. I walk up to the surface and watch in disbelief, as their enormous number becomes apparent. Our fort now swells to 58 dwarfs. I don't consider it a bad thing, back in the mountainhomes where I grew up, the legions of haulers were integral to its functions, like the blood of a great creature.
Especially in this fort, where the corridors are leagues long for some reason.

As I ponder this truth, I spot two familiar faces in the crowd, derailing my train of thought.
It was my teacher in the medical arts, Mafol Kalrethineth and her husband Nish. The lady was nearly double my age and by far my superior in the diagnostic and wound dressing arts. I am afraid my short stint as chief medical dwarf has come to an end. Subjecting someone to my meager skills while she was available would be nothing less than murder.
Her husband also happens to be a great metalcrafter. They truly are what I believe to be the dwarven ideal couple, thinker and laborer. To that end, I commission two statues, of a dwarf contemplating and the other laboring, for my bedroom.
I've invited them to live in the two spare rooms I have, honestly what am I going to with four?

The Barack is ready and just needs some troops to occupy it. I just need to get some metal industry going first.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile

Corpses of pig sows line the walls and the floors, and dwarves make merry without seemingly realizing it.

Natural decor is in! I mean, we've got to decorate the place somehow!
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Zzz... snore...

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP FER ARMOK'S SAKE!"

wha- What, what is it!?

"We're under attack!"

I rush out of my room, to see just what in the nine hells is attacking us. A description of the creature is swiftly given to me-

A bloody werebeast! I immediately order the south bridge closed but the beast is too fast and enters before it closes. Dammit, now it's trapped INSIDE the fort. The civilian alert is sounded, people confined to the tavern but it is too late for Sigun, already in the beast's reach.

Armok, I can hear his screams from here...

The militia commander "IMMORTAL-D" and two other recruits arrive just in time to see a broken corpse. They are newly armed with iron weapons and not much else, yet bravely rush to kill the wereweasel.

The mistake costs their lives

Yet, their sacrifice is not in vain and the beast succumbs to it's injuries, not able to take even one more step further inside.

They will be buried with honors in the same barracks they were to train in, and did not get to use even once.

With a weary sigh, Ulrich von Pimdwarf hauls the last coffin into place, glancing over at his nephew, the only recruit who survived by not reaching in time. He trains alone, and with quite intensity, suddenly shown the brutal reality of what combat is.

I still remember, when my teacher and I operated on dwarfs wounded in The Attack of Coincidences, the way the survivors gazed into nothing. 'axe' Alathuz isn't looking much better.

Perhaps attracted by the recent grisly happenstances, a spirit possesses a child to make a bone figurine. Though I disapprove of possessing any dwarf of mine, I must commend the spirit's grasp of irony

The dwarven caravan arrived, bringing no news and a frankly absurd amount of leather and wood. The entire fortress breathed easy after having the caravan guards stationed at the entrance.

I recruit three more dwarfs for the militia, a hammer, a mace and a spear wielder. As I'm inspecting their weaponry I hear another scream of alarm-

I stood stunned, processing that a beast from legend was attacking us. We could hear it coming, its steps booming as they struck the ground, right above us. By the gods, it was so fast.

In the eyes of the troops I could see naked fear, but 'axe' Aluthuz also had a gleam of desperation, a desire to redeem himself. Perhaps making him train in front of his comrades' coffins was not the best idea. He broke the silence by running straight for the entrance, axe in hand.

"Follow him you fools! Drag him back to the depot, fight along with the guards!"

They obeyed in mute shock.

With not a little regret, I sealed the gates after them. Peaking through the gaps, I finally saw the Giant personally-

and the dog, ready to attack it. Oh the poor, loyal creature... I've hear humans say that the dog is man's best friend, but I don't need some gangly tall folks' saying to make me believe it.

The giant's kick sends her flying towards the depot, but she buys enough time for the three caravan markdwarfs to get a shot off. Two miss, but the third hits true. The Giant is hobbled, and bleeding.

The corridor is filled with the roar of combat, both frightened and angry at the same time. The caravan's macedwarf rushes forward and it's the most incredible sight I've even seen, the Giant has fallen over, and his mace falls over and over again while he himself is unscathed. Such martial prowess I have not seen in all my days.

But soon it replaced by something even more incredible.

This completely unskilled recruit, who has never held a weapon in just 14 years of life charges forth and slays the titanic being with a few rapid stabs

For a moment, she just stands there, uncomprehending of what she has accomplished-

She is welcomed inside as a true hero, and on further questioning I realize she is one of the Bladedancer's spawn, though one largely ignored in the favor of the two 'sorrows'
I bid her mother to grant her a name as well, and she falls into contemplation in her own, er, 'unique' way.

The festive mood continues, but mine is ruined by an unpleasant revelation. Unpleasant for us 'unclean peasants', anyway.

Ugh, nobles.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:23:42 am by Vikram »

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay! Party fort!

Vikram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gonna have to cut this short here, I've simply got no more time today.

It is the 5th of Opal

We've got more iron than you'll ever need. Plenty of coke.

Fancy mayor's quarters. current resident 'jumping jack' onamasob. Mandates amulets.

Even fancier Baron's quarters-

Smoothed founders rooms

Forge and mason's

Baracks

Fortress overview

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12362

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are we doing 24 hour turns now?

Also good job in running this shit into the ground on the second year. Really awesome job I must say. Really awesome.

So IMMORTAL-D is dead, can someone please Dwarf him again as IMMORTAl-D II? Also any dwarfed dwarves need to be dwarfed again as is reasonable.

Also, we have steel. For fuck's sake. We have steel. We have dwarves. You can turn this into a huge steel mill and there's NO cost except for the extensive coal and flux, of which we have so many fucking layers, twice over, of.

Finally, if Rooterroom has fallen, you're going to see someone become king soon, as that was the Mountainhome. The goblins and elves have been attacking these places. This is why you're getting nobles moving in.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:16:56 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I'm getting acquainted with the place, and will have my post up tomorrow morning (9-10 hours from now) After which point I will play for my year and hand it back to the next person with the gift of rule. I understand that I've got to dwarf a few people, start mass steel production, and generally clean things up to assist the more skilled and experienced players to come after me. I will do my best to have a fully outfitted militia armed and ready to defend the place as soon as possible, as we've just crossed the Goblin Threshold for population, and I'd not like to leave things to chance. We must save goblin christmas, if nothing else. I think I'll do much better with some definitive goals, so give me what you guys think needs to be done and I will work my pig tail masterwork socks off to succeed wherever my limited experience allows.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Hmm? I got a pm from Vikram saying it is my turn.... Go on, ill go after you.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that the plan was to have it go with the first week turn to Archmage, then Saturday to Vikram, Sunday to Me, and the week to come on you. Things don't seem to have gone to plain on that front, but feel free to take your turn now. I've got plenty of time to spare, on Sunday or Tomorrow.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can do 24 hours turns if you like. Usually you need a setup of 1 in game year anyways though. The intention was you could play up to 4 in-game years if you could do that in 24 hours on a weekend, or in 5 days during the week.

Alright, I'm getting acquainted with the place, and will have my post up tomorrow morning (9-10 hours from now) After which point I will play for my year and hand it back to the next person with the gift of rule. I understand that I've got to dwarf a few people, start mass steel production, and generally clean things up to assist the more skilled and experienced players to come after me. I will do my best to have a fully outfitted militia armed and ready to defend the place as soon as possible, as we've just crossed the Goblin Threshold for population, and I'd not like to leave things to chance. We must save goblin christmas, if nothing else. I think I'll do much better with some definitive goals, so give me what you guys think needs to be done and I will work my pig tail masterwork socks off to succeed wherever my limited experience allows.

I think the goblins are marching on our civilisation. It used to be the elves, but times have changed.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that the plan was to have it go with the first week turn to Archmage, then Saturday to Vikram, Sunday to Me, and the week to come on you. Things don't seem to have gone to plain on that front, but feel free to take your turn now. I've got plenty of time to spare, on Sunday or Tomorrow.

It screwed up because Archmage took too long starting up his turn.  Really, it would probably be best for Gwolf to play out to where the end of his turn originally should have been (Friday), then you take Saturday, since we have no one there now.  Then we'll be back on schedule.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fine by me, I'll leave it to Gwolfski
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6