Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you ready for the next ten years of dwarf fortress?

Yes
- 22 (78.6%)
No
- 6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Firecastle, The Party Fort: Time to get this fort in shape! (DF X Anniversary)  (Read 7708 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

In the meantime, for the parallel fort: We can either do a story fort, or a second parallel succession wall fort in the locations I indicated, or in the far-out good regions. Actually the wall fort can also be a story fort, but will be like a parallel universe. A wall fort will be between 16 tiles and 32 tiles (between a 4x4 embark and a 4x8 embark) in size so it bridges mountains. I have a copy of the region at worldgen, yes.

Or, we could generate a new world for this and make this a tale of two worlds.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Why not 1x16 or 2x16 embark? Mountainrange not that wide?

One option is to use same world - but swap sites - for each turn.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

*Me* "Hum, long work week.  I should check on the Anniversary Fort, maybe Captain finally posted pictures of his turn".  Lesse... nope.  But Vikram got a Wereweasel, should be !FUN!  Oh, I'm dead already, lol.  And since the Founder's profiles were never posted, I can't even make a journal from beyond the grave :(  Hopefully my next Dwarf will fare better.

Although, I have to say that I feel like this Succession has lost a great deal of its' momentum due to poor organization and lack of information about our start :-\

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not 1x16 or 2x16 embark? Mountainrange not that wide?

One option is to use same world - but swap sites - for each turn.

It would have to be a 1x16 or 2x16 embark, likely. That's 16 to 32 region times. The number of times covered equals play area, and results in stuff like FPS reduction.

Your option is essentially to swap between fortresses by retiring them. We can consider that.

I haven't seen this being used much in succession games. The main problems are that people will migrate out of Firecastle into the Wallfort, and back again, and also that the sites may be conquered easily. I want to try a similar thing with a new world with appropriate features and then I can report back here with the results.

*Me* "Hum, long work week.  I should check on the Anniversary Fort, maybe Captain finally posted pictures of his turn".  Lesse... nope.  But Vikram got a Wereweasel, should be !FUN!  Oh, I'm dead already, lol.  And since the Founder's profiles were never posted, I can't even make a journal from beyond the grave :(  Hopefully my next Dwarf will fare better.

Although, I have to say that I feel like this Succession has lost a great deal of its' momentum due to poor organization and lack of information about our start :-\

We've got some basic profiles out there. You were essentially a fighter in illegal gladiator matches and those kills were never recorded. You were acquitted of any wrongdoing (for a lot of reasons), or either way the captain of the guard was too drunk to record the kills. You also became good at carpentry.

Gwolfski - Chemist, "amateur farmer", speaker, and apparently was a participant on CORE.
Waistcoats - Mechanic and Optics Engineer I worked with for some astronomy-related work. She also worked on CORE.
Zanzetkuken the Great - Our Mason. He also worked in fluid engineering, so he can be trusted to carve a floodgate properly.
Moony the Human - I'm not sure she's a dwarf or human. She claims to be a human but looks like a dwarf and drinks like a dwarf. She's a miner and a "critical thinker".
Vikram - A medic and miner. I believe his main job is to look after those injured from mining accidents. I mean, it couldn't be any other way. Right? Right?
IMMORTAL-D - Not sure whether that's his stage name or real name, but he is a carpenter but took part in some big arena fights or something. Not sure if they were legal.

That's the list.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:57:58 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Mhm. Got to be honest, I almost never go over 16 tiles myself.

Those problems can be mitigated by naturalized elves/humans/goblins/kobolds/gorlacks/etc. However, problems and challenges in succession forts can provide great story. Shame it is 43.05, so can't use embark anywhere when one gets conquered, but that just means one has to fight it out in adventure mode.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mhm. Got to be honest, I almost never go over 16 tiles myself.

Those problems can be mitigated by naturalized elves/humans/goblins/kobolds/gorlacks/etc. However, problems and challenges in succession forts can provide great story. Shame it is 43.05, so can't use embark anywhere when one gets conquered, but that just means one has to fight it out in adventure mode.

We need to keep the momentum up in the fortress, that's one thing.

The second thing we can do is have an adventure mode camp and if possible embark over it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm? I got a pm from Vikram saying it is my turn.... Go on, ill go after you.

Is Gwolfski currently taking the turn or Vikram?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 5th Opal, 126

While I was cleaning the bloody recycled X-mung bean roast-X off my buttocks, Vikram handed in his resignation. Apparently, he wants to do some more research on medicine in The Mansion of Walls or something, which I support. He also got the dysentery again, which seems to have afflicted many of us recently. However, the fortress is now at a loss for someone to run things and I don't, literally, even think I'll be able to find someone to do that job unless they're on a high dose of sunshine and gypsum powder. Let me run down what's exactly been happening.

The fortress has 82 citizens and permanent residents, but surprisingly, we don't have much booze. It occurs to me that the still is not being used. That's going to be fixed.

Now this is shameful. Ultimately, 29 residents out of 61 adults are employed, after giving the benefit of the doubt to people who were eating, drinking, or sleeping. I gave up the unemployment count and decided to count those who were likely to be doing any work. This includes those doing military training. That means unemployment is over 50% and I've probably given a lot of room for error there.

I made Moobediah Jones the Captain of the Guard since he was once the sheriff, and nobody was doing any captain of the guard job before.

We should demand complete precision in our accounting. Not one plump helmet should be left unaccounted for!

The forges have some kind of weird architecture and I am asking for all the iron to be transformed into steel from now on. Forged items will remain forged from iron until we have a more secure fuel supply.

Perfectly usable items, in a time of emergency, are being stockpiled in the trash and let to rot. I'm having a tanner's shop set up so we can turn all the skin into leather. Not sure about the rest.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised this wagon wasn't unloaded. I'm even more surprised it's still there with all the other buildings.

There must have been some turmoil in Rooterroom, which was not reported to me, because we have a new baron of Rooterroom resident in our fortress, and the nation has a new queen, who is a goblin siege operator. Because of this Vikram had to do some work, digging out some well-designed buildings for the Baron of Rooterroom and mayor. The mayor's building is well placed but the baron's screws up the road design a bit.

Other features absent from the fortress are a hospital, plumbing, and any kind of safe water access. This means sanitation is literally in the shitter, and I want to get some public works projects going as soon as possible to establish a water supply for bathing and medicinal needs. We're getting to work at once.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:03:30 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]