Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Achieving The Age of Twilight (Modded Succession World)  (Read 6099 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Achieving The Age of Twilight (Modded Succession World)
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:55:27 pm »

This succession world was started in the attempt to shift a small (65x65) world into the Age of Twilight, and potentially the Age of Fairy Tales and Age of Civilization, through our actions in fortress mode and adventure mode.  The only mod done is to add various positions to the human civilization, so that we would be able to play through fortress mode as them.

The maximum length of a turn is set to five days, with a two day wait period.  For those starting as adventurers, they have three lives they can run through in that time period, and if there is time left after those, they can run a fortress if they so choose.  For those running a fortress, if it falls before they end of their turn, they can run through one adventurer life if there is still time left.  There are some restrictions on fortress mode as well, which are listed below in the Fortress Mode Restrictions spoiler.

Turn List
Finished Aborted Skipped Current

1) Zanzetkuken the Great 1
2) Moony The Human
3) Waistcoats 1 2 3 4 5
4) Gwolfski
5) Malakor
6) Imic
7) Sanctume
8) Arthropleura
9) TheImmortalRyukan

Fortress Mode Restrictions
1) All structures must be built so they would appear structurally sound.  This means you cannot have colossal open spaces, massive structures supported by a very small collection of pillars, or areas hanging out over an abyss.
2) Mining must be done via open air pits rather than through underground digging.  Furthermore, every 3 z-levels down, the walls are to enclose by 1.  Underground mining is possible, but tunnels may only be two wide and must have a z-level between the surface and other tunnels on other z-levels.
3) Structures must be built above ground, with a foundation being dug down to soil for structures made of stone.    Wood structures without foundation can only have one inhabitable z-level.  Wood structures with a foundation may only have 3 inhabitable z-levels at maximum.
4) Structures are to be built of structurally sound materials.  You cannot create a house constructed out of soap, for example.
5) Every noble is to have their own manor/castle constructed for them to live within.  All are to be more opulent than those held by the common man to signify status of the nobles.  This is not required in the first year.
6) Farms are to be placed outside the walls of the fortress.  The walls of the fortress are defined as the area able to be completely sealed off from invaders in the case of a siege.  This does not include food storage, only where food may be grown.  This is to put a ticking clock on sieges.  A fully prepped fort may wind up lasting for quite a long time, but it would not be forever.
7) Traps may not be created.  The fortress is to be secured by sealing ourselves up or fighting the enemy head-on.

Spoiler: Old OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:30:44 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Achieving The Age of Twilight (Modded Succession World)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:59:46 pm »

Certainly!
count me in.
Ill go the ''Grand master axe man vampire VS elven retreat or fortress'
Vampires do not count against The Age of Twilight and The Age of Fairy Tales i beleive

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:29 pm »

Certainly!
count me in.
Ill go the ''Grand master axe man vampire VS elven retreat or fortress'
Vampires do not count against The Age of Twilight and The Age of Fairy Tales i beleive

They might not count, but I may want to add in an option relating to vampires.

Oh, and I found a third age caused by mundane creatures.  The Age of Civilization.  Granted, it will be difficult to achieve, as we have to wipe out every non-mundane civilized creature rather than being the majority by 50 (Age of Twilight) or 90 percent (Age of Fairy Tales).  I doubt we'll reach it, but hey, it's a completionist goal, as it were.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 03:46:00 am »

If you wanted to play as Humans, in a way that makes building on the surface slightly easier, you could play on Masterwork. With Masterwork on, you can both produce stone blocks faster, create muskets and so on, which I think better sums up the setting of Humanity destroying the fantastical things of the world. You could also set all other races as savage or slavers with the Masterwork launcher, which would make them all instantly hostile, to ramp up the difficulty a tad. I am completely in either way, but Masterwork would both add more monsters, and give humanity the gunpowder to get started.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:53:50 am by Waistcoats »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:11:59 am »

I want a turn please

Also above post,how about just copying the human raws for their reactions and entity into vanilla?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:34:29 am »

Uh Humans! Surface Castle-City buildings! If I'm not too laggy for this, count me in aswell! :D
(Will do some testing before)

Also, adventure only as human?
<- *Prefers mantis man.*

I would suggest Masterwork too! As Waistcoats said:
1. It's specified to build on surface only.
2. It gives some neat Guilds and other structures which improves the survival of the Human settlement.
3. Weight Benches!!!
4. Via the Masterwork Menu, you can customize the races by turning them off, or set them to Hostile.

Here the link: Click me!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:50:17 am by Malakor »

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:08 am »

I want a turn please

Also above post,how about just copying the human raws for their reactions and entity into vanilla?

That'd work for the actual plain human additions, but the launcher itself allows us to set the other races as automatically hostile, so we don't get caravans from any of them. Again, I just want to get to the elf-hunting, however we do it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:40 am »

I'm back. I want a turn. You might want to rename it, i didnt realise that it was a human succession fort for a sec.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 01:36:13 pm »

I would like a turn.  I love above ground fortress. 

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »

If you wanted to play as Humans, in a way that makes building on the surface slightly easier, you could play on Masterwork. With Masterwork on, you can both produce stone blocks faster, create muskets and so on, which I think better sums up the setting of Humanity destroying the fantastical things of the world. You could also set all other races as savage or slavers with the Masterwork launcher, which would make them all instantly hostile, to ramp up the difficulty a tad. I am completely in either way, but Masterwork would both add more monsters, and give humanity the gunpowder to get started.
Uh Humans! Surface Castle-City buildings! If I'm not too laggy for this, count me in aswell! :D
(Will do some testing before)

Also, adventure only as human?
<- *Prefers mantis man.*

I would suggest Masterwork too! As Waistcoats said:
1. It's specified to build on surface only.
2. It gives some neat Guilds and other structures which improves the survival of the Human settlement.
3. Weight Benches!!!
4. Via the Masterwork Menu, you can customize the races by turning them off, or set them to Hostile.

Here the link: Click me!

I am wanting to keep things as close to vanilla as I can, outside of the positions added to the human entity.  As such, there is no reason to use Masterwork when I have positions already made.

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »

Alright then, practicing my adventure mode right at this moment to be ready to get started

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »

Alright, I'm still in too. Will try Fort mode, then adventure. :D

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »

I could give it a crack. Sign me up for some adventure mode dwarf strangling.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »

Actual start is not going to occur for about a week, due to a trip I have coming up where I won't have the time to run through my turn.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:24 pm »

Age changes are notoriously difficult and luck based to pull off in Fortress mode. I think Age of Twilight only occurs if all populations are in decline. I've only ever seen it in pocket worlds (Deathgate was Age of Fairy Tails after Twilight Age).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5