Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)  (Read 12001 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 02:53:45 am »

"You're so right. Hey I got another idea: let's greenlight that chess game. Nothing says 40k like static units moving once a turn and doing canned animations."
Ironically, the chess game turned out to be quite alright and even innovates in some aspects.

Sorry, I'm pretty leery of when popular IPs just start getting paired with other game types outside of what the IP is really about. Like, 40k jewel games, 40k dance games, 40k flappy birds. The chess game isn't just straight chess, yeah, that's hyperbole from me. But it makes me feel like GWS isn't really taking their own IP seriously to the point where they'll say no to something.
Regicide is supposed to be some kind of game within the WH40k universe, tho. Like they didn't make this up right now, it's from the books. Though I don't imagine they'd play with ork pieces. And that's ignoring the fact that it was written by Dan Abnett, author of the stupidest things in the WH40k universe I've read. I still don't understand why they like him so much.

EDIT:
"You're so right. Hey I got another idea: let's greenlight that chess game. Nothing says 40k like static units moving once a turn and doing canned animations."
You mean as opposed to static pieces frozen in potentially weird poses, standing on a flat table and moving once a turn?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:59:59 am by Virtz »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 01:29:24 pm »

Regicide also doesn't have clickable special abilities. And tabletop is nothing like chess.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »

Yeah, I was rather curious about why they would give it to a mobile dev. Seems like it would have been best to give it to Telltale or something...

You know, I've always wanted in IG focused Telltale Warhammer game.

40k would be great cause 40k architetecture contains lots of long, scenic, cathedral-esque hallways for people to walk down and say exposition at each other's faces.  And the power of the enemies will give them an excuse to just have you run away from any aliens or monsters you find instead of letting you do something fun.

I'm finding it kind of funny that GW's been so leery of licensing video games for so long and then suddenly the flood gates open to a tidal wave of garbage.

Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 06:22:29 pm »

Sorry, I'm pretty leery of when popular IPs just start getting paired with other game types outside of what the IP is really about. Like, 40k jewel games, 40k dance games, 40k flappy birds. The chess game isn't just straight chess, yeah, that's hyperbole from me. But it makes me feel like GWS isn't really taking their own IP seriously to the point where they'll say no to something.
40k dance game could be pretty great, actually. Harlequin/slanneshi simulator 20XX. There'd be a lot of blood, and it might not manage to end up with a realistically marketable ESRB rating, but still. I could see it working.

Could also totally see a flappy birds. You'd be a grot missile, or maybe just a grot piloted one. You could do things with that. Maybe just a mini-game or somethin', but it could be interesting.

Jewel game I have more trouble with. Best thought is maybe entering the role of an Administarium cogitator, with the jewels being paperwork. Bonus points for a chaos mode where you score points for mismatching "gems". After a game, you get to see the results of your labors -- how many planets were destroyed, how many billions died in fire, etc. That's for both modes, mind. The untainted one would just be aiming to destroy the least instead of the most :V
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:26:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »

Jewel game I have more trouble with. Best thought is maybe entering the role of an Administarium cogitator, with the jewels being paperwork. Bonus points for a chaos mode where you score points for mismatching "gems". After a game, you get to see the results of your labors -- how many planets were destroyed, how many billions died in fire, etc. That's for both modes, mind. The untainted one would just be aiming to destroy the least instead of the most :V

Jewel game could be you as a tech priest, with the gems being cogs and various things while you construct warmachines and stuff for the Imperium, something in line of Puzzle Quest.

Actually I could get behind a 40k version of Puzzle Quest.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 08:02:52 pm »

I wanna see a Battlefield-style game that's (mostly) Imperial Guard vs Chaos cultists. Not Chaos Space Marines, but the regular bloodfapping jokers that really aren't going to get anywhere with their god. And while I just said not Space Marines, the idea I had for it was that as the match goes on, the teams gain requisition points that allows them to get better vehicles, weapons, fire support, special classes, and what I really thought of was the ability to give a single squad an "upgrade" to being Space Marines(CSMs for Chaos, of course) for one life, and to drop-pod in on respawn.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

So you want Battlefront Wh40k?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:58 pm »

I, personally, have always wanted a Men of War 40k mod. There was one in development some time ago but it died unfortunately.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 10:43:20 pm »

Yeah, I wanted that too ever since I figured out how to take the DShK from AA mounts and started mowing down people and houses alike with the guy holding it just like an Heavy Bolter. As for the mod itself, I played the initial version. I really fucking liked how they did weapons (they had POWER) but sadly I don't think anyone ever figured out how to do melee in MoW.

To be honest, MoW style would really fit Wh40k. Pretty realistic but you can control one unit by yourself which is great when it comes to heroes and other more powerful ones.
Like BANEBLADES.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 10:53:13 pm »

Yeah, I wanted that too ever since I figured out how to take the DShK from AA mounts and started mowing down people and houses alike with the guy holding it just like an Heavy Bolter. As for the mod itself, I played the initial version. I really fucking liked how they did weapons (they had POWER) but sadly I don't think anyone ever figured out how to do melee in MoW.

To be honest, MoW style would really fit Wh40k. Pretty realistic but you can control one unit by yourself which is great when it comes to heroes and other more powerful ones.
Like BANEBLADES.
I personally just want to attack a position with an ungodly number of Leman Russ tanks.

Also, space marines. Tanks that can get into cover. I want/need that in my life.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 11:03:44 pm »

Also, space marines. Tanks that can get into cover. I want/need that in my life.
B-but...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »

Think of it as beating the cover into submission with your back.

All in the name of the Emperor, of course.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 01:35:47 am »

40k dance game could be pretty great, actually. Harlequin/slanneshi simulator 20XX. There'd be a lot of blood, and it might not manage to end up with a realistically marketable ESRB rating, but still. I could see it working.

Could also totally see a flappy birds. You'd be a grot missile, or maybe just a grot piloted one. You could do things with that. Maybe just a mini-game or somethin', but it could be interesting.

You're missing the point. All that shit is, is branding. Unless they're done to the 9s, but even then, dance game? Really? It just further contributes to the "slap a grim dank paintjob on game X and put it in the pipeline" method of carpet-bombing your IP on to people's wallets. That's not how good games crop up. That's how people stop caring about an IP because the signal to noise ratio for it is fucked. And that affects all games trying to get made under the IP, and in this climate, the biggest, most daring games are the first to suffer the most.

I mean yeah. I can see a 2d flappy bird knock off with a 40k skin work...if it's _actually done well_. If it's done smart, with the details that make 40k really pop. But when something is done that well and smart...it's not a knock off anymore. It's a legit game with a soul. I don't see much soul in about....40% of the new 40k titles I see crop up. Especially not the mobile ones.

40k has enough staying power to me that quality over quantity is what I think matters. GWS seems to have other ideas though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 03:49:42 am »

Jewel game could be you as a tech priest, with the gems being cogs and various things while you construct warmachines and stuff for the Imperium, something in line of Puzzle Quest.

Actually I could get behind a 40k version of Puzzle Quest.

That'd actually be great, so long as it was more like the first PQ and not the broken second one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »

Sanctus Reach is out. Gameplay is moderately similar to the really good Pike&Shot and Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun games.

Watching Das Tactic's stream and it looks good, but slow. And not the kinds of scenarios I personally enjoy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5