Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)  (Read 11993 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2017, 04:44:03 pm »

a) No customization.
b) You still need rules and everything.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2017, 06:35:10 pm »

If you have Tabletop Simulator from Steam, there should be plenty of Steam Workshop mods.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:20 pm »

a) No customization.
b) You still need rules and everything.

a) Can live without it
b) Got em!

So maybe it's not the end all be all. It's the closest we've been to it though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 08:54:26 am »

A couple of my friends have played it a few times. For various reasons they decided they preferred the real thing by quite a margin.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:23 pm »

As mentioned in the Pocket Games Thread, BFG: Leviathan now has a free demo on iOS and Android. If it's been the cost driving you off before, now's the perfect time to give it a go.

It's only the tutorial and a mini campaign, but it's a pretty good conversion of TT rules. It might be great for MP if you decide you like it after the demo, or just fun to slowly chunk through the campaign.

It also highlights some of the GW games library problems, whether it's publisher, developer or GW inspired. They just miss the point, even while coming close. Even when you've got a fully functional translation of TT rules directly to the electronic medium (which is what we all want), they decided that culling back the race list and fudging dice rolls for false difficulty was a "good idea". Writing good AI is difficult, but fudging rolls later in a campaign is especially noticeable when you're using d6's (I haven't got far enough in to see it, but apparently it's how they've done it). Adding new ship classes isn't hard, especially if they were added to MP for testing purposes first to save them writing actual missions/campaigns for them, but there hasn't been any move to do this at any reasonable pace either. Hell, I'd even forgive them if they proxied art resources until they could afford models for them, just like on tabletop. A text box and firing arcs is all you need. Christ, they could IAP races, ship types, campaigns, whatever to fund further development. But nope. 2 Races, and false difficulty.

So close, yet so far from what people want. And they wonder why even their fans aren't jumping on the bandwagon.

Still, it's free, so you can shake your fists with abandon in your spare time without it costing you anything. Maybe a larger player-base will get those problems fixed all the quicker. Even demo d/ls, not full copies, just to encourage them. Because it's really good, even while being "GW bad".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:45:16 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 05:43:36 am »

Hello, I'm currently trying to install this mod, but the problem is that my Dark Crusade/DXP2/Data folder doesn't have "art" folder. I have only Dark Crusade (Steam version) but I start to think that I need original in order to install the mod. Is there any other way around it? I don't mind buying original, but I would like to just have Dark Crusade.

EDIT:Forgot to say that I have Steam version of the game.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:07:07 am by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »

Are you sure it's not for soulstorm?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 12:43:13 pm »

It would have to be. Sisters of Battle are not in Dark Crusade, only Soulstorm.
You may have to create the folder yourself, as Soulstorm does not have that folder in that location either. I have the original DoW, plus all three expansions, but I only have the expansions installed - each is self-contained.

...Those are some beautiful bolter bitches, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »

Sorry, I meant only FX and decals, not the whole package. It seems to be for all DoW expansions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:16:51 pm by CrocAndBearLover »
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]