Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)  (Read 12047 times)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:47:08 am »

This is a thread about Warhammer games.

There is already a Warhammer 40k thread but I though it might be prudent to have something a little more...focused. I'll keep a list of upcoming games with some relevant articles just to keep discussion going.

TL;DR, post about GW's licensing policies, what comes from those policies and whether or not heresy is present.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:57:15 am by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Warhammer 40K Games Place (AKA, GW is a harlot.)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:12:49 am »

did you buy a license to create this thread?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:21:12 am »

Yep. They were giving it away with some candy at a convention.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:09:17 am »

Not upcoming, but allow me to present Eisenhorn: Xenos, the worst waste of potential since the Black Crusades.

GW: 'Let's make an Eisenhorn game!' 'Oh yeah that's a fantastic base for a game, we should-' 'Spare no expense! We'll hire Mark Strong as the voice of Eisenhorn!' 'Wow, that is pretty perfect, but-' 'Okay, now let's give it to an untested mobile studio so they can make it a technologically backwards, painfully awkward mobile game that we'll shoddily port to PC later and hope no-one notices.' 'Um.'

This could've been a dream game. It's more of a nightmare.

...wait, technologically stunted, a failed dream turned nightmare... this game is the Imperium of Man. It all makes sense now.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 09:56:07 am »

Yeah, I was rather curious about why they would give it to a mobile dev. Seems like it would have been best to give it to Telltale or something...

You know, I've always wanted in IG focused Telltale Warhammer game.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »

I can see the radial menu now.

1: BLAM! it.
2: Yell "For the Emperor!", then BLAM! it.
3: Get your guardsmen to gently toast it, then BLAM! them all for heresy.

Actually, a game based around being a Commissar or Arbite would be fun. Sort of like "A Wolf Amongst Us", but with less emotional attachment to characters and more BLAM!ing your problems away.
It's a game. Have fun.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 06:08:53 pm »

The funny thing is, a telltale warhammer 40k game would actually maybe work the best out of all of their licences because the fact that the story is the same in the end no matter what you pick actually makes sense for once.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »

"Let's make a game based solely around the most successful Black Library author and one of his best stories."

"Yeah, spare no expense for Dan Abnett."

"Right. Top notch voice actors. Total faithfulness."

"Absolutely."

"What market are we going after."

"The mobile market, of course. Truly only the expertise of mobile developers and the hardware can really fulfill the obligation we have to make this game good."

"That's super smart. I mean, super smart. Damn you're smart. We're smart. Mobile is obviously the best platform for a visual novel with gorgeous effects and over the shoulder gameplay."

"I hear it's even going to have real-time combat."

"Oh man, that's going to be so great. I can see people really getting engaged with it moving their thumbs and poking the screen."

"You're so right. Hey I got another idea: let's greenlight that chess game. Nothing says 40k like static units moving once a turn and doing canned animations."

"Goddamn it, it's brilliant. And we did all this before 11am? Let's go get lunch."

"Sounds great. We doing grilled babies again?"

"Oh hell yeah."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:19 pm »

"Hey Bob, do you think that we should perhaps not focus on a target market that'll almost certainly ignore our releases"

"Heh, that's funny George. Foot or head?"

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »

Speaking of things that aren't Eisenhorn.. The Inquisitor Martyr game looks to be shaping up into a nice little diablo-like.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »

Speaking of things that aren't Eisenhorn.. The Inquisitor Martyr game looks to be shaping up into a nice little diablo-like.
Yeah, I think that one shows promise. The destruction stuff they've been showing, insubstantial though it is, seems rather impressive and from what I've seen the plan is to have a actually unreasonable amount of things to do.

That and I get to cleanpurgekill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 09:29:30 pm »

"You're so right. Hey I got another idea: let's greenlight that chess game. Nothing says 40k like static units moving once a turn and doing canned animations."
Ironically, the chess game turned out to be quite alright and even innovates in some aspects.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 09:30:50 pm »

Ironically, the chess game turned out to be quite alright and even innovates in some aspects.
Yeah, that was better then I could have ever hoped for. As someone who loves Chess it was not that disappointing. I just wish there was a mode where the new rules were implemented without chance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »

Sorry, I'm pretty leery of when popular IPs just start getting paired with other game types outside of what the IP is really about. Like, 40k jewel games, 40k dance games, 40k flappy birds. The chess game isn't just straight chess, yeah, that's hyperbole from me. But it makes me feel like GWS isn't really taking their own IP seriously to the point where they'll say no to something.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5