Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unretire mechanics and bugs (or "what keeps me from playing DF regularly")  (Read 6417 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unretire mechanics and bugs (or "what keeps me from playing DF regularly")
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:01 am »

I forgot about that one!  I once flooded my fortress because of that!  I'm not sure about magma, but if you drain ponds and lakes, retire and unretire, the ponds and lakes *refill*.  If you have nothing there to contain the water...  FUN results.  I imagine magma is the same, but with FUN replaced with !!FUN!!.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:08 pm »

Ponds aren't really big enough to be fun. Lakes, tho....

Are lakes like ocean biomes in that they also fill out dug-out area in their biome them with 7/7?

Hm, I now wonder what unretire pathing map reset does with the 1-way paths (downramps left behind after cavein that a dwarf can only descend but not ascend).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 12:10:07 am »

New sites forming and new histfigs, yes. New births, no. It's not visible initially but when the worldgen ended in year 2, it is year 50+ and nobody outside player forts has birthdate after 2....(Of course, for worlds like archcrystals, void events like merchants and sieges will generate non-citizen histfigs with birthdates after that in player fort)

Population increases (and decreases) are shown in exported sites and pops .txt, which I compared.
Is anyone born a histfig?

That only happens when an event occurs. And there's less events going on during play than in initial worldgen. Depends on the population of your world but when your population pool has thousands of eligible pops who might go reclaim a site, the chances of it being a child are nil (so no-one for the first 12 years or so) and someone born recently, fairly low.

However, I will check this when I have a world going. One of my races has a very low max age, so would be the best place to spot a "new" pop becoming a histfig.

So, I've been working slowly through a world to check out this. Monitoring pops every year and checking for new histfigs who were born after play started.
Post-worldgen there aren't all that many events to elevate a pop to histfig status and pretty much all of them require an adult so it takes a while.

However in my current world I have a race of short-lived minotaurs. They become adults at 7 and die at 20. Each year, I've been checking pop figures (minotaurs are prospering, thanks to being terrifying, giant steel wielding beasts) and every year a few new adult gets promoted to histfig status to launch site attacks as part of the minotaur quest for world domination. In a couple of years, all minotaurs born after play started will be adults. A few more years after that and all minotaurs living pre-start will be dead (besides vampires, necromancers and werebeasts). So either all their civs will die out, the world will be run by the undead, or we'll see some new histfigs.

Well, that was the plan and I'll keep going. But just now I discovered the first post-start born new histfig. It's an "unnamed male horse".
This is a horse who has no relation to any of the sites I've played. Born in a hillocks in the year 194 (the year play started), attacked by some gobbos and killed in 198 (thereby being elevated to historical figure status).

So, creatures are being born and those born after start of play are being elevated to histfig status.

"unnamed male horse" is a bit crap though, so I'll keep going and witness what the new generation of minotaurs get up to instead.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:15:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 02:09:59 am »

Haha, yeah, that's bit of crap but it's something, aint it? Thanks for researching, I'm curious if you get any more.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 03:20:13 am »

Haha, yeah, that's bit of crap but it's something, aint it? Thanks for researching, I'm curious if you get any more.
I have faith in my minotaurs.
Each one's brief life, a beautiful explosion of rage that fades away too soon. Like deadly cherry blossoms.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 09:48:06 am »

Are lakes like ocean biomes in that they also fill out dug-out area in their biome them with 7/7?

I recently discovered this one for myself when trying to retire and explore my best fort in years. I was getting more and more confused walking around as a goblin adventurer descending into my fort and seeing splashes of extra water near the mist generator, then water pouring out of the nobles tombs, a enormous wall of water spreading across my unfinished tree farm..that's where I slipped and fell the rest of the way down into the flooded portion of the stairwell and found out my magma forges and a carefully collected ten year metal supply were completely under water and the king's candy spire top tomb was the source. Probably wouldn't have been able to reclaim and seal off the waters fast enough and the lower levels would have been lost regardless.

Very glad I backed up the save. I still hope to adventure in this fort but I'll have to get around to some building and rebuilding if it's to work. Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent this easier than sectioning off all of my fort that's under the ocean?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:22:16 pm »

Well, depending on how hard it is, there's altering the under-ocean biome to be your dry land biome. shearcenter can provide you a startpoint for writing such script.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:47 am »

I had the same problem while exploring Breakfastpit in a branched version. Water was just appearing out of nowhere and pouring down the staircase. Strangely enough, the omnipresent aquifer connections actually helped limit the flooding, as they absorbed some of the water.

I don't think that deconstruction and contents-dumping is intended after retiring. Perhaps after abandoning, but would the dwarves really overturn every wine barrel just because you stopped looking at them for a month?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 01:08:25 am »

I don't think that deconstruction and contents-dumping is intended after retiring. Perhaps after abandoning, but would the dwarves really overturn every wine barrel just because you stopped looking at them for a month?
The retire text says they "returned to their senses after a period of questionable judgement". Maybe they all joined Alcoholics Anonymous? :P

I'm pretty the alcohol remains in barrels for adventures, though. Is it the unretiring process that does it?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:11:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 04:04:36 am »

I wasn't aware of that. I guess it is definitely the unretiring process, then.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »

"The overseer's coming back! We'd better overturn all the booze barrels and kick over the cabinets! It's the last time we'll be able to tantrum without being disappeared!"
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2018, 07:54:20 am »

I suppose its an artifact of the old site reclaim scatter and stuff.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »

"The overseer's coming back! We'd better overturn all the booze barrels and kick over the cabinets! It's the last time we'll be able to tantrum without being disappeared!"
I like that idea :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2]