Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wikipedia Wars the eBook  (Read 4018 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Wikipedia Wars the eBook
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:16:56 pm »

Spoiler: About (click to show/hide)

(we need proofreaders, including suggesting revisions, perhaps artists, and anything else that can help contribute to the energy of this project. I myself will be learning how to make an e-book for the first time so it's all new to me!)

1. Be sure to leave intentional miss-spellings and fonics.

2. At this time game elements will be left in. These will be the last thing to be removed, so should be left in there. They may be useful.

3! Player names WILL be changed, unless you ASK to keep it. You can go a step further and offer up a different name. We may also like to use your posts especially character quotes, please let me know if that's okay! Post permissions in this thread to make it official.

Entry 0:
Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Proofread by roseheart! No revisions.

Entry 1:
Spoiler: Specters of War (click to show/hide)
(source) Proofread by roseheart! No revisions.

Spoiler: vehicles (click to show/hide)

Note: Character knowledge assumed after this point.

Entry 2:
Spoiler: Blood on the Sand (click to show/hide)
(source) RH, grammar

Entry 3:
(source) Proofread by roseheart! No revisions. Note: some game elements left at this time, please leave.

Entry 4:
Spoiler: Emergence of Titans (click to show/hide)
(source) RH

Entry 5:
Spoiler: Vehicular Slaughter (click to show/hide)
(source) RH, minor grammar fixes

Entry 6:
Spoiler: Rendezvous at the Bay (click to show/hide)
(source) RH, grammar

Entry 7:
Spoiler: Bloons' (click to show/hide)
(source) RH spelling

Spoiler: brain chip ret (click to show/hide)

continued below
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:15:06 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia Wars the eBook
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 11:48:22 pm »

Hello! I will be acting as Chief Editor on a project to put TCM's first session of Wikipedia Wars into an eBook. I will need writers and editors to help take the material and make the transition smoothly and in a way that's most enjoyable in this format. If you're interested I'd love to hear!

Most of the proceeds will go to TCM as well so this will be a way to help this crafty writer get recognized buy all new readers!

TCM is distracted with college and I myself will be somewhat distracted from putting everything this project needs into it. So I will need help. We've agreed on a vision for the project though and this is something that should be made!

Now tell me how you can help, dammit.
Err, the tone is pretty mixed given the last sentence o_O Sounded great until the last part came up.
And there needs to be more detail overall with what you're doing if you're going to be asking about a project in general--you can ask yourself 'what do prospective writers and editors need to know' at this point, if that's your goal.
If it's to be monetized or if there needs to be finances--this too should be put down in meticulous detail. It sounds a bit rushed as you wrote it here; it sounds more like an announcement.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 12:04:17 am »

Sure! My main contribution here is that I want to see it happen. And I'm going to keep taking steps till that goal is completed or this project has satisfied everyone interested, which currently involves me and TCM. TCM has given me all liberties to do what I want with this.

If you have details and ideas of how the minutiae should be handled, perhaps you should be put in charge of it.

Err, the tone is pretty mixed given the last sentence o_O Sounded great until the last part came up.

And if it sounded good until the last part, then that is just your first impression of my rally call and it's just an issue of semantics. It's the same as "let's do this" or "who's with me?" or a dozen other things that all mean the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:32:13 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:10:57 am »

I suggest you learn how to edit and publish an ebook. That would be a lot faster than hoping a volunteer walks by all ready to work to turn Wikipedia Wars into an ebook.

I just took a look at WW and I have no idea what it is about. The intersection between "wants to volunteer" and "wikipedia wars is interesting" is very small.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:17:11 am »

I suggest you learn how to edit and publish an ebook. That would be a lot faster than hoping a volunteer walks by all ready to work to turn Wikipedia Wars into an ebook.

I just took a look at WW and I have no idea what it is about. The intersection between "wants to volunteer" and "wikipedia wars is interesting" is very small.

Fantastic!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »

Will this be a public domain eBook distributed using the CC0 license, or is it informal?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:59:46 pm »

Will this be a public domain eBook distributed using the CC0 license, or is it informal?

Well that idea is for it to be a for-profit item so I believe it wouldn't fall under public domain. But perhaps you'd like to advise differently.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »

Public domain only means that you can't hold a monopoly on the content. you can still sell the resulting eBook.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »

Public domain only means that you can't hold a monopoly on the content. you can still sell the resulting eBook.

I will be using Amazon, and I will review the options provided.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 03:23:43 pm »

Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer

This project sounds good! Remember to give credit to the authors if you copy content from Wikipedia.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »

Luckily I have some friends in the legal department. I'm also playing with some ideas for how to publish this story without having to change things. If I make this a guide how to host this kind of game and then just give this story as an example then it's instructive and it falls under certain protections... One idea :-)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 09:27:22 pm »

W00t just reached 40,000 char limit, so thats a thing, will continue here.

Entry 8:
Spoiler: Baseball Jesus (click to show/hide)
(source) RH proofread.

Entry 9:
Spoiler: Fancy Flyin' (click to show/hide)
(source) RH proofread

Entry 10:
Spoiler: Relative Stagnation (click to show/hide)
(source) RH spelling

Entry 11:
Spoiler: Showdown at the Bay (click to show/hide)
(source)

Entry 12:
Spoiler: The Final Duel (click to show/hide)
(source)

Entry x:
[spoiler=x]x[/spoiler] [url=http://](source)[/url]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:09:43 pm by roseheart »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »

Just incase.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:37 am »

Been following this sort of on and off, but I'd like to state officially that I like this project. Am assuming that most of the entries are just in a sort of "first pass" stage to get everything in one place, and that more detail will be added later. The main problem with converting a game like this to a novel I think, is tenses. Third person omnipresent is nice and all, but this could benefit greatly by looking into the characters minds. The only real problem with that is of course the people that played those characters might have different ideas about their thought processes. Wiki Wars constantly shifts between characters due to the nature of how actions are submitted and processed, and that's probably not ideal for a written format. All the same, I can't wait to see how this goes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:23:39 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 09:39:29 pm »

Yes I'd rather ask for too much help and not need it. Then finish compiling the as you say 'first pass' which is exactly right and being underhanded which would slow things down more than they really need to with I know how much enthusiasm and love there is for the games TCM hosts for us. And lets him make a little bit of money and prove it's a possible thing to do for a game host because we're freaking creative people and we shouldn't have to be broke ass and unrecognized.
Pages: [1] 2