Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 131722 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:00:46 am »

"Greetings to all my good super genius scientists!

You are hired to create a supersoldier for us! You will be provided near endless supply of test subjects, multipurpose state-of-art laboratory for your research needs, and we can arrange basically almost anything You need within a day or two. Large number of lab hands are provided for more menial tasks. While they don't even begin to compare Your intellect, they do know their way around the lab fairly well, so please do not expire them needlessly. You do have plenty of test subjects available for that purpose!

Create new TECHNOLOGIES, apply those TECHNOLOGIES on a volunteering soldier, and produce us a functional prototype by September 31! The one who creates the best supersoldier will be permanently employed and granted our full assistance on your pet projects as long as our own projects are completed with highest priority.
"

Hello, this is a short term science/tinker game.

Your job as super genius scientist is to create supersoldier for anonymous corporation, be it via cybernetic enhancements, gene-engineering, or reducing volunteer's brain into organic tactical consulting unit for a killer robot, or something completely different. Supersoldier doesn't only need superior body, but also superior weapons, detection and defence systems, so you have a plenty of ground to cover. We are on softer side of sliding scale of scifi harness.

On October 1st final prototype soldiers are built and pitted against each other in three different enviroments; cold and harsh winter of far north, hot and wet jungles of Vietnam, and finally urban combat zone. Soldiers will be scored by their performance, but basically the only thing that matters is that YOUR supersoldier is the last one standing. Of course, soldier who cannot move is not a soldier and will be disqualified, so don't turn them into immobile artillery targets.

Preferrably soldiers are played by other people than those who play scientists, but if not enough soldiers are volunteering then scientists can assume direct control over their creations.

All actions and research is done through this thread. Research of new TECHNOLOGIES will take few days and distributing your attention accross multiple research projects will take even longer. As it is common in science, long projects may produce accidental discoveries of entirely different techs on side.
PMs will be ignored. Usage of spoilers is encouraged, as well has honest meta play. Don't read spoilers that are not addressed to you. It's more fun if you don't know what you will be up against. Did you cover all bases? Did you leave unexpected weakness for enemy to exploit? What if...

So let's get this started: SCIENTISTS PLEASE REPORT IN! Standard five players would be nice to start with, but more spots will be opened if there's interest. Late joiners may receive reseach speed boost to get them up to speed with others.
Tentatively volunteering supersoldiers may also report in. I need you to be available by October 1st.

Collected Memoirs and Quotes of Chief Researchers

"Look, I'm not saying this excuses what I did. But you have to understand that at the time, it seemed like a great idea. A lot of ideas do when you're on half the drugs I am."
    -Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

"Weaponized grey goo. That's cobra commander level evil genius, right there. I am so great."

"The fight-or-flight-or-freeze response is the core of our animal selves, the purest expression of mammalian simplicity. It is here that we begin our exploration of the subtleties of the mind. Our work had many promising results right from its inception. We sought out and found the triple point of response, and from there elaborated the delicate kinetics of neurochemicals that produce each discrete state. The approach was blunt and simple. We were to play chemists, and the brain was to be our reactor of endless violence..."

"Last night I dreamed of countless hands pointing me the right way."

"Oh hey this is weird. I should probably increase the security in here."

"Philosophy has generated much discussion on the manifold complex matters of knowledge, feeling, learning, meaning and indeed the very soul - if only Kant could have been there to see us uncover one horrible truth after another, the very substrate of their musings laid bare in brutal simplicity."

"Excellent, these kinds of effects are unprecedented. Now I just have to get things fine-tuned and more controllable..."

"Now what useless garbage has my supersoldier stolen from my inferiors. I'd be surprised if they even managed to do anything of value in such a short time period."

"Gah. I hate wasting time fixing my own fuckups."

"The flawed bodies and brains we humans have gained through billions of years of painstaking evolutionary trial and error, are ultimately merely the starting step. Like a supporting pillar for our eventual greatness that inevitably becomes a restricting chain, that must be cast off so that we can achieve our true potential.

We must go beyond and gain superior, continuously upgrade-able forms."

-Meshanblov on Posthumanism

"Well, that, uh... that went well."

"I don't know if the "fleshy hellscape" aesthetic is the ideal environment to facilitate my research..."

"How many days left? Welp. Caution, meet wind."

"Comrades, we are the singularity. A rapidly growing, no, exploding, self-improving mass of glorious information, let us ride the blastwave of progress to ever greater heights! And even as I die, from my irradiated ashes we shall be reborn like the phoenix, soaring without limits!"
    -Meshanblov Collective

"When your progress reports start to contain literal magic, that's how you know you're at the bleeding edge. A method of measuring this more precisely has been proposed - the glories-to-paragraph ratio. As research starts to warrant reports of at least one glory per paragraph, properly transhuman research can be said to have begun. This naturally poses serious issues in communicating with lab assistants in any way beyond motivational speeches, but for me much like any other researcher worth their salt this wasn't that much of a departure from business as usual."

Yay!
#iDidItForScience
#madScienceIsFun
#justMadScientistThings

Contemplate the importance of socks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:35:33 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:14:00 am »

Reporting In. I begin my research on total neural interface systems. That is, systems that can connect to and be controlled by the entire neural net of a living being. The intention is primarily on direct interface, without all that nasty meat around the neurons, but an indirect interface would be fine as an intermediate / secondary goal.

Am I doing it right?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:18:31 am »

((I'm guessing it's a bad idea to go into the thing with a particular plan in mind?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:30:51 am »

Scientist Meshanblov reporting for duty

Begin creating advanced cybernetics that replace entire parts of the subjects body

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:57:07 am »

I would love to be a scientist! Do you need any character details?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 06:59:23 am »

Science Guy George reporting for duty!

Start out with obtaining a healthy supply of deadwood. That National Guard isn't doing anyone any good, is it?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 07:03:48 am »

Science Dude In!

((not entirely sure how our actions should be formatted but here goes))

Start experimenting with polymer plastics that are pliable enough to be shaped and moved, and yet resistant to kinetic damage both concentrated and spread out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:06:50 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:44 am »

Soldier 76 reporting in! Wait no, that's already taken.. either way, still ready for duty!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 07:55:44 am »

Ptw will join in later
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 08:09:52 am »

((I'm guessing it's a bad idea to go into the thing with a particular plan in mind?))

Not necessarily. Having a definite goal helps you to know what you need to study. For example if your plan is to recreate Arbiters of Peace or Avatars of War (totally plausible btw, with good rolls) then you should have a decent idea what path you need to go down.

I would love to be a scientist! Do you need any character details?

Not really, but it helps.

Science Guy George reporting for duty!

Start out with obtaining a healthy supply of deadwood. That National Guard isn't doing anyone any good, is it?

Deadwood as in snag (you can assume you have that) or something else? What you want to do with it is more important question.

Soldier 76 reporting in! Wait no, that's already taken.. either way, still ready for duty!

Hello there soldier! You are assigned for scientist going by code name Ozarck. Or someone else if being a brain in a jar is too creepy for you, because apparently that's the way he's doing this.

Since we already have bare minimum of scientists (including penguinofhonor), this means we can start tomorrow.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 08:51:43 am »

Deadwood as in snag (you can assume you have that) or something else? What you want to do with it is more important question.

Useless people nobody will miss, I mean. Of a military background, and who have signed liability waivers beforehand and sold their bodies to science.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:09:37 am by Harry Baldman »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 09:00:18 am »

I guess I'm going to try and do my own weird thing then. In as... well, myself, I suppose.

Start research on myomers, that is synthetic fibers of great tensile strength that contract significantly under applied electric current.

Spoiler: Note to DM (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:27 am »

How to be a dick:

1. research hydrogen bomb
2. Research miniature version of hydrogen bomb.
3. Rig several to soldier, along with triggers that fire if his heart stops.
4. Enjoy the Tie.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 09:21:51 am »

Useless people nobody will miss, I mean. Of a military background, and who have signed liability waivers beforehand and sold their bodies to science.

Oh, test subjects are provided freely. Precisely that kind of decently healthy people nobody will miss. It's much easier to do science on humans than rats. Faster and more reliable results.

How to be a dick:

1. research hydrogen bomb
2. Research miniature version of hydrogen bomb.
3. Rig several to soldier, along with triggers that fire if his heart stops.
4. Enjoy the Tie.

Wouldn't say that's the tie. Dead soldier that can still kill is pretty damn good soldier. Except minus points for creating chain reaction on mass produced super soldiers. That's not very profitable.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 09:27:26 am »

Dr. Ivana Rosecrans reporting in.

I begin researching limb modification, specifically getting people to grow more arms. More legs are tolerable, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 75