Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 131842 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! War crime factory
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2016, 01:23:09 pm »

Day 11

Continue currently active research.

Maybe have my supersoldier go steal some technology to help me speed up the process.

Yessss master, go steal stuff

And so the floodgates open. Thievery process takes few days and I'll be rolling how it goes, if you get caught and so on. You have very rough idea where other labs may be, so you start by figuring that out. If you want to keep your progress hidden from other players, let me know. By that I mean I will use spoilers for it.

Hmm, turns out it is not very easy to automatically clear unnecesary bits out. Replicating your own thought process how to identify important bits in written manner takes much longer that you expected, but you get finally done. You get another test subject killed and his brain digitalized just to confirm it works fine. And it does. Wonderful!

You work out proper magnetic control field to keep gasous uranium under control. It has unfortunate side effect of increasing device size and weight, so you probably have to make your prototype soldier larger than human.

Train in multitasking

It is much like using both hands at the same time for first time. Like throwing a ball with one hand and writing with another. That's actually how you do it. Slowly you are getting hang on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pack the hive mind modules with slow-release neurotrophins (the regular kind and, if those don't work, work on designing more effective versions) substances applied to the external microelectrodes. Combine these with things like slow release of glutamate and perhaps some synthetic analogues like N-methyl-D-aspartate, optimize to create adequate stimulation for synapses to grow and be maintained. Add scaffolding proteins or nanotechnological analogues if at all possible. Approach this from several angles and test this out with some mice, perhaps.

There was four words I had to ask google about.

Today you finish the design work. The final properly folded product is very complex and as far you know it cannot happen naturally. If it actually works you have to question all accepted laws of physics. They are all imperfect theories, of course, but their imperfection rating goes through roof and exits atmosphere.

Preparing scaffolding for it to grow is actually much easier task than designing the neuron connections. Very grounded and untheoretical work, although time consuming. Most likely you cannot make very many of them per day and then there's whole "waiting it to grow" period. Would you rather install the package straight into brain or do you want to cultivate it some oven first?

if it requires fine tuning, it shall be fine tuned!

And fine tuned is! You have now relatively low power antimatter production system. All you need to do is to figure out how to keep it from bouncing all over the place and getting annihilated without your permission. You know, after figuring that out you could make an antimatter bomb...

Quote from: NAV
Automated research

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

...well, shit. After healing, ask an unoccupied lab assistant for heavy bite protection/melee armor and some form of a combat chainsaw. Then go and fuck those fuckers up. Be sure to get samples for the good doctor this time.

It doesn't seem like you get any prototype healing. And your hand is not combat useable anymore. Two fingers missing, middle finger non-functional, index finger partially functional but thumb at least works. Docs are not letting you out with partially missing hand and assistants are not willing to risk another portion of lab being overrun by cannibalistic monsters in case you fail again. So no, you failure to work it out on first time has drasticly damaged their trust in you. Not that it matters, their howling and banging fades out today.

Excellent, I feel like I can get some real work done soon. I work on creating new nerve connections. If I get enough work done to start testing, I attempt to attach an additional arm to a subject with the necessary nerve connections to function.

((oh and renegadelobster, I and my character are both women))

Did you notice your soldier got a piece bitten out of him? Wanna administrate that miracle healing drug of yours on him?

New nerve connections will require vat grown neurons. It's easier if you plan to insert effectively a replicate of a limb. In that case you can simply rapidly grow bunch of stem cells, have them specialize into neurons and coax them growing into nerves for arm without surrounding tissue. Then it would be easy to use only required parts and surgically insert them into subject's spinal column. And now to think about it, installing new additional arms probably requires new bones, modified muscle configuration, and waiting until subject learns to use it. Muscles and bones can probably be harvested from same donor as arm will be, so it's mostly matter of fitting them together nicely.

Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
Automated research

Your soldier calls you from hospital. Turns out he broke both of his legs today while training, so he can't do anything for next two months. It's a good thing you don't really need his actual body.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »

((I'm sorry. I even read your characters name and went, 'yup, that's a female name', and typed him anyways. My bad, won't happen again.))

Wave at Dr. Ivana with my damaged hand. Use my good hand to prop up my middle finger and give the assistants the middle finger while smiling at them. Then laugh and say I'm kidding, they're just doing their job. See if they wanna hang out later? Get healing if the good doctor allows it. Oh, and make sure there's no one trying to infiltrate this lab.

Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »

Continue my work on Quantum Brains and Miniature fusion reactors. Just plugging along.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2016, 02:48:59 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2016, 04:13:13 pm »

Isolate 5 subjects into more secure quarters and implant them with the hive mind modules. Not like they're doing anybody much good unmutilated, as previous contact has shown. And hey, we've got a strict timetable here. Implant 5 modules in the heads of the subjects, leaving the sixth linked to a communication method - see if I can implant thoughts into the hive mind this way. We might have inadvertently invented a mind-machine interface.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2016, 07:03:11 pm »

((renegadelobster: no problem))

I use my healing tech on my soldier and get an assistant to take notes on the process. I devote the rest of my work today to figuring out the muscular and skeletal modifications necessary to attach new body parts. And I'm not just thinking limbs here, I want direct torso-to-torso connections. If there is more time, I continue studying new nerve pathways.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »

Train in multitasking again. This will help me control more dogs more efficiently.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2016, 11:11:32 pm »

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2016, 06:49:22 am »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2016, 09:21:26 am »

Legs? Who needs those silly organic legs. See if the Company has any good prosthetic replacements in catalogue, and have the guy repaired. If he thinks he can get out of inhumane training by being merely maimed, he's got another thing coming.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2016, 09:59:16 am »

Legs? Who needs those silly organic legs. See if the Company has any good prosthetic replacements in catalogue, and have the guy repaired. If he thinks he can get out of inhumane training by being merely maimed, he's got another thing coming.

Amen. preach it, brother. I have a few dead guys that think they are getting out of horrible experimentation by virtue of not being alive anymore. But they'll learn. Yes, they'll learn. The hard way.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2016, 03:48:28 pm »

Day 12

Continue my work on Quantum Brains and Miniature fusion reactors. Just plugging along.

Reprogrammable quantum computer actually already exists. It just happens to five atoms large which makes it damn useless. With stolen blueprint available you take a look on the design and throw it into trashcan. Damn useless. That's not how it should be done. Rapid solid state data storage takes priority because memory is core of every computing system. Once that is solved, you can focus on actual computational features. And now to think about it you don't really need it to be reprogrammable as long as it can simulate digitalized brain. That means you can skip quite few steps on the process. You draw design for memory units that should operate well in cooled enviroment. Building a bunch and testing them takes some effort, which you will do tomorrow.

For the reactor core you pick a ceramic material with very high heat resistance and insulation. It should tolerate uranium in its gaseous form long enough for it to cool down should something break. Highly efficient photovoltaic cells are strategically placed to capture maximum amount of light it generates.

Your soldier reports he has located a pair of labs for raiding, but has decided to raid the one with least scary security.

Train in multitasking again. This will help me control more dogs more efficiently.

Mad cackling of your scientist in his work disturbs your training greatly. The crazy fire in his eyes worries you so much that you decide to ask for leave today which is thankfully granted. The lab doesn't feel so safe place currently. At least movies on local theater are good.

Isolate 5 subjects into more secure quarters and implant them with the hive mind modules. Not like they're doing anybody much good unmutilated, as previous contact has shown. And hey, we've got a strict timetable here. Implant 5 modules in the heads of the subjects, leaving the sixth linked to a communication method - see if I can implant thoughts into the hive mind this way. We might have inadvertently invented a mind-machine interface.

Yeah, your regular program of scaring test subjects have been interrupted. Dreams have brought you an idea, another neuron pattern to install into hapless person. The design is burned into your mind with such terrible clarity that you cannot forget it even if you wanted to. It's doubly complexity and size of the hive mind, takes entirely different direction, is intented to be installed in between brain hemispheres around visual cortex, yet you cannot remember what it ultimately does. All you remember is blinding light of terrible intensity. You could try to figure it out but you got no time for that, you must build it first!

Thanks for not having to waste time designing it you start working fervently, employing techniques you planned for hive mind package. It is so much bigger, so much more complex that you can't even complete it today. Having burned yourself out for the day you fall asleep in your lab.

Quote from: NAV
Automated research

((I'm sorry. I even read your characters name and went, 'yup, that's a female name', and typed him anyways. My bad, won't happen again.))

Wave at Dr. Ivana with my damaged hand. Use my good hand to prop up my middle finger and give the assistants the middle finger while smiling at them. Then laugh and say I'm kidding, they're just doing their job. See if they wanna hang out later? Get healing if the good doctor allows it. Oh, and make sure there's no one trying to infiltrate this lab.

Dr. Rosecrans gives your damaged hand with couple of injections. You are not to leave the lab before your hand his healed, and until then you should eat a lot of meat for proteins (regrowing muscles) and cheese, yoghurt or milk for calcium (regrowing bones). You actually should stay in rest with your hand unbandaged. Can't have them restricting regrowth.

So yeah, that's how spend your evening. Eating a lot and watching TV. By evening meat and bones are mostly grown back, only two last joints from pinkie and ring finger are still missing. The new skin is pink and tender. Tips of regrowing fingers are soft and kinda bubbly mass.

((renegadelobster: no problem))

I use my healing tech on my soldier and get an assistant to take notes on the process. I devote the rest of my work today to figuring out the muscular and skeletal modifications necessary to attach new body parts. And I'm not just thinking limbs here, I want direct torso-to-torso connections. If there is more time, I continue studying new nerve pathways.

You inject the regrower and panacea on your soldier. His immune system might be gone now and he'll need panacea injections for rest of his life, but infections are not permitted right now.

Connecting muscles and bones from two different limbs to each other is not really an issue as you have seen with gorilla arm man. It's the modifications for all extra things body doesn't normally have. For example connecting two torsos together back to back is less challenge than extra arms, because you can simply detach outer muscles connecting to respective spines and sew them together. Of course it needs extra meat to fill the space between curves, but that could be used to store body fat. More exotic connections... well, you need to develope generic surgery theory how to cut and sew muscles, weld bones, connect bloodveins and oh god bloodtype mismatches. Problems are are endless, but so is your brain power. One obstacle at the time.

You could build better prosthetics by yourself, but there's no need to waste effort for something that doesn't get used longer than couple of weeks. Your agent will arrange new legs for your man in safe and reliable hospital.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2016, 03:52:33 pm »

Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2016, 04:21:30 pm »

"Look, I'm not saying this excuses what I did. But you have to understand that at the time, it seemed like a great idea. A lot of ideas do when you're on half the drugs I am."

Head Researcher Curious George, Knuckle Deep In The Mind, A Memoir

Into TERRIBLE GLORY we must ride! Lead me to the stars!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75