Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 131839 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! War crime factory
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2016, 09:52:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »

33 days until deadline

Intriguing. Unfortunate that I will need to delay other work to research this, but it seems worth the effort. Besides, quantum brains are at a good temporary stopping point, and returning to that project after my subconscious stews on it for a while may yield new insights.

Meshanblov researches particle beams and reactors

Major deciding factor for particle-beam based weapons is size. A gun sized of avarage rifle can't do really anything against armored targets, perhaps heating up surface a bit. But a proper cannon can probably punch through few meters of steel. Your soldier is gonna need powered exoskeleton anyway, so might as well up its destructive capacities. Say, three meter long linear particle accelerator shooting ions? It's gonna need assload of power to kick particles up to required speeds in such short range. Better be sure the reactor can handle it.

Lesser focus for reactor means least amount of progress. A bit of work with uranium heating, making sure it doesn't melt stuff before properly evaporated and pushed into reactor core.

Tonight is the night. Hopefully your man won't fuck up.

Let's keep the Terrible Glory a surprise for now. Do keep the design filed away and backed up, though. Maximum security measures on the lucky lottery winner (do we have a lottery, or are test subjects advanced on the basis of least attachment and perceived value by their peers?).

Work the neuron growth improvements into the hive mind modules. Efficiency is good stuff. Put the modules into five fresh subjects prepared for the procedure with the improved bonding drugs, and set them on various exercises to keep their minds stimulated in all the right directions. Neurons don't grow (or at least don't persist) unless you use 'em!

Maximum security in what way? Keep it protected from outside, or keep outside protected from it? Assume it happens, that can be fully assigned to The Company peeps.

You spend entire day wondering how in Einstein's name you came up with such design as Terrible Glory in your sleep. It was very complex and convulted pattern, yet you dreamed it up probably less than sixty minutes of REM sleep, whereas hive mind design was... what, three days of constant work? It seems very counter intuitive that bigger patterns are easier to come up. Or it could be that you have dreamed about it every night since completing your theory of nervous system design. That would be fantastic if could use your sleeping time to work out complex designs unconsciously.

Anyway, you managed to do today absolutely nothing.

Spoiler: SECRET TECHNOLOGIES (click to show/hide)

Last night I dreamed of countless hands pointing me the right way.

I invest all my time, energy, and resources into researching fleshcraft.

You work hard connecting the dots of your hypothesis, slowly building it into acceptable theory. Experiments form large part of the process, naturally. Like how to limit rapid growth only on very specific cell structure. Quite few of these experiments results unlucky test subject becoming single human sized cancer blob where rest of the body was used as fuel and raw material. Fascinating! Very curious! The implications, the possibilities!

"Oh hey this is weird. I should probably increase the security in here."

Start locking the lab entrance for the night.

Spoiler: Activities (click to show/hide)

Might as well post a guard on front doors.

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2016, 01:23:47 pm »

((Why did my major technology get downgraded?))

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2016, 01:24:45 pm »

continue.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2016, 01:29:27 pm »

((And why did my hive mind research get de-researched?))

More concerned about the subject escaping, really. The protection from the outside is a side effect.

Anyway, after putting the hive mind modules (modified with the Terrible Glory advancements in neuron growth) into five fresh subjects (linked), put them into well-secured conditions and see how it works (standing order if this takes several days) and whether I can interface with the modules remotely through specifically adapted electronics in order to implant thoughts or send messages and data.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »

I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2016, 01:51:30 pm »

Because it doesn't fit with my updated definition of major tech. Major tech is something that let's you do wide range of things otherwise impossible, making related things much easier. Something exceptional and large rather than single product of R&D.

((And why did my hive mind research get de-researched?))

Bad rolls.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:53:55 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2016, 01:53:12 pm »

Bad rolls.

((Just wasn't very clear from the description, which gave the idea that no progress was made rather than that less than no progress was made.))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »

Because it doesn't fit with my updated definition of major tech. Major tech is something that let's you do wide range of things otherwise impossible, making related things much easier. Something exceptional and large rather than single product of R&D.
Presumably, I rolled well enough to get a major tech, and you were the one that chose it, much like Curious George's "NERVOUS SYSTEM DESIGN AND UNDERSTANDING", so did my progress get nerfed now because you chose poorly and changed your decisions on how certain things work later on? That seems unfair, since Curious George seems to be keeping his tech.

I agree electricity driven cells seems a bit limited for a Major Tech, and I couldn't really think of anything to use it for except the artificial muscles project, which by the way it didn't seem to help that much since the project still dragged on, but does this mean I didn't get the Major Tech I should have for a good roll?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:36:29 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »

Allow the guy a few irregularities in his classification system guys. Science is "more art than ...science ... right? right?" That sounds right to me.

Anyway, perhaps he wasn't expecting certain other more grandiose ideas from being pursued and all.

Besides, are you checking other players' spoilers? don' do that.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

Besides, are you checking other players' spoilers? don' do that.
Harry Baldman does everything in public like me. There should be no problem checking his stuff?

Continue researching Particle Beam and Reactor

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:08 pm »

((Check my stuff all you like, IT'S GREAT.

Actually, I also accidentally looked at a couple of the spoilers, but lacking context and willpower made no effort to fully decipher their contents. I guess they're better than PMs for watching purposes though, even though I still don't get the desire for secrecy when all of the science we do is complete screwball stuff anyway.))
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:40:05 pm by Harry Baldman »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2016, 03:39:15 pm »

Presumably, I rolled well enough to get a major tech, and you were the one that chose it, much like Curious George's "NERVOUS SYSTEM DESIGN AND UNDERSTANDING", so did my progress get nerfed now because you chose poorly and changed your decisions on how certain things work later on? That seems unfair, since some people are keeping their major techs, like Curious George.

I agree electricity driven cells seems a bit limited for a Major Tech, and I couldn't really think of anything to use it for except the artificial muscles project, which by the way it didn't seem to help that much since the project still dragged on, but does this mean I didn't get the Major Tech I should have for a good roll?

It ain't nerfed, merely reclassified. Major technology, as I currently classify it, is a theory that surpasses understood laws of reality. Such as Harry's nervous system design is and penguin's fleshcrafting is about to be. Yours was and is very advanced tech, but nowhere the level of major tech, it never had the flexibility required. It could advance there though, if expanded and worked with, assuming RNG blesses you.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:41:39 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2016, 03:41:43 pm »

Okay.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2016, 06:16:12 pm »

((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75