Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75

Author Topic: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance  (Read 130608 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to create a supersoldier! Bloody air resistance
« Reply #1095 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 09, 2016, 08:03:21 pm »

Yeah, some things are just not accelerate-able too well. By all right the encounter between us and spazyak should have been over in one "turn" if it were supposed to go in minutes, but I know how hard it is to write "encounters" on full auto.

Spoiler: As far as tactics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 13, 2016, 05:27:20 am »

I can't do this. Sorry.

Everytime I think about updating this I get depressed: "I don't wanna spend another five hours writing this turn". Today I woke up early with intent to finish this testing round, but now four hours later I still haven't even started. My will to update this disappeared somewhere two weeks ago.

Science phase was a blast, despite of the fact that on last two weeks of Septemper I did nothing but work with my day job and this game. Turns literally ate all my free time and I was perfectly fine with that. Beginning of testing phase was fun too, but... I don't quite know what happened. Was the problem that I tried to keep everyone on same timescale? Or was it because I went too deep into details? Details were fun until they stopped being fun and I didn't see way out without drastic changes and those are not my thing.

Perhaps whole live testing was a mistake. It's not like I had a plan for the whole game other than "mad science with limitless resources and without morals or ethics hindering you" and a rough idea how to interpret science rolls. It did produce some wonderful things, and people went into places! Rest of the universe formed along the game.

And what did I learn? Two and half months seems to be how long I can handle very intensive daily GM activity. I can handle eight players just fine, only question is how much time I have to sacrifice. Time spent writing a turn follows formula (Number_Of_Players * Potential_Action_Complexity) / 2.4. Demonic Spoon topped Potential_Action_Complexity to 1.5 hours every day near the end. Thanks Obama. (I'm not complaining here, mind you)

I enjoyed this regardless, right up to the moment when updating became a duty. Anyone wanna take over, or should we let sinking ship fall in silence?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 13, 2016, 05:50:01 am »

I wouldn't mind a spot of guest-GMing. I didn't manage to make a sendoff for my Multiworld Madness, maybe I'll manage it here.

Yes I know I'm technically also a player, but if nothing else I am a fair GM, and I'll lose if the dice say so.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 13, 2016, 08:30:05 am »

Maybe next time you can go from corporate competition to a Manhattan Project type dealie, and put the scientists all in the same complex as they work toward, say, defeating a space-invading Santa Claus. There's still a time limit, but also room for cooperation and a more sensible way to evaluate success in the end (as in, why wouldn't you just put everybody's science together and make the most super soldier of all?).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:12 am »

Maybe next time you can go from corporate competition to a Manhattan Project type dealie, and put the scientists all in the same complex as they work toward, say, defeating a space-invading Santa Claus. There's still a time limit, but also room for cooperation and a more sensible way to evaluate success in the end (as in, why wouldn't you just put everybody's science together and make the most super soldier of all?).
I think that was the plan, but they went about it smarter. A bunch of different mad scientists are never going to decide on one supersoldier design if you just put them all together. But if you put them all against each other, they will each build up their own tech, and then when whoever actually wins gets access to all that tech, then you will get your most super soldier.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 13, 2016, 08:49:09 am »

I think that was the plan, but they went about it smarter. A bunch of different mad scientists are never going to decide on one supersoldier design if you just put them all together. But if you put them all against each other, they will each build up their own tech, and then when whoever actually wins gets access to all that tech, then you will get your most super soldier.

Pretty much. Just think about what kind of monster you could create by slapping all these fantastic technologies together. And all secondary applications on consumer market... there's filthy amounts of money to make.

Anyway, if you're fine by taking driver's seat, then I'll send you all my notes.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:27 am »

Well I'm fine with taking a stab at it, at least. Send away. :)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 13, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »

My character exceeded all my expectations, and it looks like two other scientists were metahuman Cosmic Entities in their own right by the end of Science Phase.

I think the problem was that you insisted on jumping straight from the science phase into the combat phase without a break, and had several players who were either completely unfamiliar with their tech, or who tended to drift off. Plus, like you said, you overloaded. I thought your hard timescale for the science phase was wise, but the soldier phase kinda violated that by making it a continuation, rather than a new game.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 14, 2016, 06:09:54 pm »

I trust Sean to GM this and think you'll do a great job.

Aoshi, thanks for creating and running it. Supersoldier's been the only game on Bay12 for months that actually kept me obsessed despite the business of college. Truly deserves to be in the hall of legends.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:50 pm »

I trust Sean to GM this and think you'll do a great job.

Aoshi, thanks for creating and running it. Supersoldier's been the only game on Bay12 for months that actually kept me obsessed despite the business of college. Truly deserves to be in the hall of legends.
Yeah, I love this game
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:27 am »

Thank you. This kind of creative game emerged in my first forum game too where one of the biologists jumped into bioengineering business and created pack of hybrid alien wolf things. It kinda partially inspired this. I might come back later with another game with similar creative system. And I already have one idea brewing in my mind, god damn it! I'm addicted to game designing.

Since Sean's working with the turn so I guess I can now tell now what some scientists missed.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt missed his major technology entirely by completely ignoring it. Reverse chemical formulation would have given him ability to state physical/chemical/electrical/whatever properties he desires from material and work it backwards to gain chemical formula of any materials/alloys/compounds that fulfills those requirements. And for super genius like him it would be easy to figure out how to produce said materials when he already knows how they should end up. He could have said "I want solid material that ignites and produces extremely corrosive toxic smoke on contact with flesh and causes highly explosive reaction with hard materials" and he would have received few alternative substances which could do just that.

Egan missed insanity causing technologies by posting his action late. Following his action from previous turn I had actually rolled and written turn where he discovered way to produce images and sounds that are inherently harmful for human mind. Not even spazyak's anti-basilisk protection would have been effective against those. I was about to post the turn when I noticed his new action going in different direction, so I had to rewrite trun and erase his discoveries.

Hmm. Actually those were the only interesting things that were missed. Did Curious George pursue his Great Journey study? Because curiosity kills cats.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 15, 2016, 11:57:28 am »

dammit
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 15, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »

Hmm. Actually those were the only interesting things that were missed. Did Curious George pursue his Great Journey study? Because curiosity kills cats.

I didn't, mostly because uploading myself into the ether sounded like the kind of thing I'd gain nothing from attempting and potentially lose a lot doing.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 15, 2016, 05:29:06 pm »

dammit
This is why we can't have nice things
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75