Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bodyguards  (Read 3760 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bodyguards
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:11:28 am »

So, I noticed that the human law giver came by with two bodyguards. One of them seems to have been a vampire, and they all kept loitering around our baron's private temple. This made me nervous, especially seeing the baron himself sleeping a few rooms away.

And then a thought: Why not have bodyguards assigned to your own nobility? They could be assigned military who would follow their charge around while on duty, and revert to normal behavior while off duty.

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bodyguards
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:17:21 pm »

So, Like the Guard dogs that you already can assign to people?
(i use Giant Tigers)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:28:57 pm »

So, Like the Guard dogs that you already can assign to people?
(i use Giant Tigers)
Something like that, yes.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »

I think better would be to have guarding people a task for a military squad, like patrols can be so that the bodyguards can both train and guard. Or an order like the move to and kill orders, but instead simply called follow where they follow the target.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »

I think better would be to have guarding people a task for a military squad, like patrols can be so that the bodyguards can both train and guard. Or an order like the move to and kill orders, but instead simply called follow where they follow the target.
Perfect!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »

when i think of bodyguards I think of dynasty warriors.

3 specifically.

everyone in that game was either a commander or a bg who followed that commander.

from peasants to generals to named characters.

ahem.

as for df, i think its best as a permanent role, or at least not assigned per month.

bg means a lot of things, including not sleeping halfway across the fort and not running off to eat a pot roast and not fighting an enemy to the death
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:06:37 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:18:48 am »

Until we have assassins there really is not any point in this.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 07:45:48 am »

Until we have assassins there really is not any point in this.
In a word: vampires.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:06:13 pm »

We need vampire hunters, be it with guilds or religious groups, but we need them in the game.

On the topic of bodyguard, don't the game already have something like it with the royal entourage? I say it should be expanded upon and allowed in fort mode. Don't think necessarily a squad is needed for it, but sure it could help if squads get the ability to body guard specific beings/objects. Specially now that artifacts are getting renewed attention.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:08:34 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03:53 am »

Do not target nobles in particular. 

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:17 pm »

I don't think it gives the nobleman being violently assaulted by a vampire any solace that he's not being targeted based on his status.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:17 pm »

I would love to be able to assign guards to my top dorfs.  Vampires have been a menace lately, especially for the guy who processes work orders since he is on his own so often.  At one point I lost one even while a guard must have been present, forcing me to assign three guards to each of his rooms to ensure he wasnt consumed by vampire guards.  (This finally put a stop to the stream of dead administrators) I'd much prefer to just have a small team following him everywhere.  Then I could spare more guards for my best crafters and stuff.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:12:32 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:18 pm »

I think he meant that he wanted to assign bodyguards to suspected vampires, rather than to the nobles. That way, even if the guards couldn't / wouldn't stop the murder itself, at least they would be sure witnesses to the crime, or at the very least the suspiciously-dead guards would incriminate the person they had been "protecting".
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:00:38 am »

I think he meant that he wanted to assign bodyguards to suspected vampires, rather than to the nobles. That way, even if the guards couldn't / wouldn't stop the murder itself, at least they would be sure witnesses to the crime, or at the very least the suspiciously-dead guards would incriminate the person they had been "protecting".
That's actually a great idea.

I was thinking that even *if* they don't target nobles in particular (or other dwarves of import) it would be an idea to assign them *just in case* the RNG decides that the vampire is going to target a dwarf of note.
Pages: [1] 2 3