Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival - Cancelled  (Read 30579 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival - Cancelled
« on: August 15, 2016, 03:55:47 am »

I'll start with the premise here since that seems a good idea. Here's how everything is going to work. Also most of this is shamelessly copied and pasted from Sean's files. Pretty much all credit goes to Sean Mirrsen here for the initial idea and framework, though I've added a couple things of my own.

You are a team of (roughly) six individuals that do all the work aboard a small, privately owned spaceship, a Protsvetanie class space-whaler that's somehow both pretty large and incredibly cramped, like an inverted Tardis. It's structured a little like a submarine, and is designed for hunting and processing the various horrors of deep space, colloquially referred to as "Space Whales", that reportedly make surprisingly good sushi. Most basic functions of the ship can be performed by a somewhat dumb AI and its complement of robots, should the working crew not want to do work besides tell the ship where to go and what to shoot. Space Whales are always in season, and can be hunted with abandon, seeing as there doesn't seem to be an end to the things. The crew happily obliges, making money in the best way known space has to offer. This game is a series of encounters with randomly generated beasts. Players make hypothetical money by stuffing the holds with processed space whale... let's say meat, because nobody really knows whether it's actually meat. Whales will have an estimated danger rating, which multiplies the value of the processed meat - rarer meat is more expensive. Money can be used to purchase upgrades for the ship, but will mostly be used to repair torn-away sections of hull and replace lost systems and murdered crewmembers.

Players in the waitlist aren't cycled in normally. Instead, the crew will be able to hire new crewmembers to replace any lost ones. The more money they spend on hiring a crewmember, the more points will that crewmember's player have to distribute between his skills and stats.

In the event of a TPK, the remains of the ship are assumed to have been found, hauled into the dock and left for purchase by anyone - anyone being the next six players in the waitlist, who essentially start from scratch, plus whatever bells and whistles survived from the previous owners.
Spoiler: How the Ship Works (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Introduction (click to show/hide)
Welcome, everyone, to the Space Whaling Adventure RTD.

To enlist into the crew, get thee self to the wait list, and hope the players buy a new crew member.

This game uses Progressive RTD rules for rolls, which means your stat or skill value determines the size of the die rolled for it, rather than the bonus applied to a standard die.

[1]: Epic Fail
[2]: EF, Fail
[3]: EF, F, Half Success
[4]: EF, F, HS, Success
[5]: EF, F, HS, S, Overshot
[6]: EF, F, HS, S, Perfect Success, OS
[7] and above: EF, F, HS, S,.., S, PS, OS
Spoiler: Shops (click to show/hide)
Statuses:
Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Techni Caliope Shuna (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Anna Lyudmila Petrov (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Edward Tivrusky (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dr. Alexander Violant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Telyor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Andel Dieter (click to show/hide)

Wait list:

Whisperling
The Ensorceler
Dustin Hache
Xantalos
lawastooshort
DoctorMcTaalik
heydude6
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:49:32 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:20:52 am »

Spoiler: Techni Caliope Shuna (click to show/hide)

"I vote our new ship be renamed "oh Fuck, Not Again ..."

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:58 am »

Spoiler: Anna Lyudmila Petrov (click to show/hide)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:23:30 am »

Spoiler: Edward Tivrusky (click to show/hide)
Yes, please.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:06:51 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:24:54 am »

We're looking like we might end up a bit gunner-heavy. I can edit my character into more of a pilot or something else if I need to.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:23 am »

give it a bit. besides, we can always buy a pilo-bot.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:45 am »

"I do believe we should name our fine vessel the 'SUS Hyperion'. A very suiting name.

For no reason whatsoever."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:39:47 am by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:13:41 am »

"Har .. Peeing on? Weirdo."

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 10:19:43 am »

Call her the Pequod. It's a fine old name. Comes from an ancient legend.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 10:41:08 am »

Edward stares blankly at Caliope for a moment.

"Har Peeing On? No, Harperio- Hyparee- ...

Now I can't even say it. Blargh.
"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 11:01:46 am »

"The Hair Pee Pod it is then. Now, about some damned aspirin. Or more beer. Where's the rest of the beer?"

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 11:06:54 am »

The rest of the beer? It's all gone. What we didn't drink is soaking into the furniture.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »

Name:Techni Caliope Shunal
Appearance: adult and human.
How cheeky. I like you. However, as much as I want to allow that to remain as is, some of the stuff in the metamorphica checks the gender of the target, so at least that at a minimum would be nice to have.

In any event, having more than one gunner isn't a bad thing, but I'd recommend a pilot, or having a robot to do so. It's kind of a necessary job. Also having someone to man the scanners is kind of important, unless you want to exclusively use comms to pick up extermination jobs. Needless to say I'll throw you at more dangerous stuff in that case. You seem to have technical skill handled though.

Edit: Also, I'd prefer you hold off on buying stuff until the crew is complete and the ship has a name, but feel free to discuss your potential purchases.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:05:46 pm by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 03:53:53 pm »

"I'm definitely going to take a jetpack suit, and a harpoon reel rifle for myself. I intend to grapple to the great beasts and do some damage.

Say, I wonder if there are any explosives shops around. Maybe planting charges directly on the creatures would be more efficient than firing explosives at them from the ship.

Then again, explosives would probably damage the meat. Maybe if I could somehow poison it whilst on the back of the creature...

Well, I'll go look into that right now. Wait for me before departing.
"

Edward seeks a shop selling explosives, and an apothecary dealing in poisons.
(Can I do things like this? I see that you have a shop fully selected, but if I want to nab items to fit my own playstyle, can I attempt to do things like this?)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 04:08:58 pm »

Quote from: Shop
New items can be added on request if they seem reasonable.

So yes in other words. Hand held explosive charges could be strong, but odds are they'd only work at extreme close range  unless you stray far from the ship. Still, I like your guts.

Poison would of course render the meat less useful. Sure the processors purify it, but eh. Poison is still a potentially viable tactic though.

Edward looks around for something that'll make a big boom, and finds a shop that deals mostly in mining charges, whether for space or planet side use. The shopkeeper does offer to sell you some portable charges, but is unsure of their viability against the space whales. (Explosive Packs added to shop.)

Next, Edward makes his way about the station to find poisons. Dedicated poisons are rather un-forthcoming at the moment, but further searching could reveal some. However, he does find a shop dealing in high grade tranquilizers, usually used for hunting large beasts on planets. The shopkeeper says they could be adapted to coat harpoons with. Or perhaps they could be loaded in a missile?  (Tranquilizer Harpoons, Tranquilizer Missiles added to shop.)

(In retrospect Tranquilizers kind of make sense in this business, and incapacitating whales would no doubt be a valid tactic. By the by, I rolled for all this to a certain extent. That's why there's no poison in the shop.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:30:30 pm by Person »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25