Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25

Author Topic: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival - Cancelled  (Read 30523 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 04:34:41 pm »

"Alrighty. I'll probably allocate funding on some explosive packs, too."

Edward quickly scribbles up a list.

Code: [Select]
Jetpack Suit v3 = 300 Credits
Harpoon Reel Rifle v3 = 150 Credits
Explosive Pack = 25 Credits x 8 = 200 Credits
Sealant Pack = 10 Credits x 5 = 50 Credits
Gunbot = 200 Credits
0 Credits left over

"I'll buy this once we have everything else figured out. I'll probably take some sealant and medkits too. Any extra funding after that can be used on ship upgrades or bots for the ship.

My plan for combat is to hit the whale with the harpoon gun, reel myself to it, plant explosives in important places like eyes or the mouth, then to fling myself off the beast and hope the charges work.
"

(Will the ship have the ability to track our suits? If not, is that an upgrade we could potentially do using technical skill? My plan relies on the ability of the skilled pilot to pick up a floating man after a whale detonates.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:04:56 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 04:38:26 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »

(Note that all the things you're buying are value 1 items, which don't add much to one's roll. If you're going to get a jetpack suit, I'd recommend something stronger. As for the reel rifle, the VAL is added to the roll to reel yourself in, which you don't want to fail. VAL 1 should be fine for the other items though. I suppose that depends on the whale you guys end up getting.)

Having the ship track your suit could be a potential upgrade. I'm relatively sure the ship's basic scanner could be used for the job, and a simple successful TECH roll would allow searching for floating crew members. That's a one time thing though. A more permanent tracking solution could also be done, and that's probably one of the things the ship's Control system would be good for. (Dedicated Tracking System added to shop. Because why not.)

By the by crazyabe, there's still 3 slots open.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:49:28 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival - 3/6 Players
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:54:10 pm by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »

Note that assigning just 1 or 2 points to a skill is generally a waste unless you plan to train that skill later. It takes at least 4 points to be able to roll a d4, which is the bare minimum to accomplish much of anything. A d3 is the minimum in order to not always fail.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »

If you're going to get a jetpack suit, I'd recommend something stronger.
(I agree, but there is also nothing stronger in the shop... :P)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 04:54:29 pm »

Changed.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 04:56:30 pm »

Perhaps you don't completely understand the shop mechanic. Understandable, as its a little complex. Let's do an example.

Jetpack Suit(100cpp): Adds VAL to AGI

The cpp is credits per point. Divide the amount of credits you spend on that item by the cpp to get the resulting object's VAL. Thus a 100 credit suit have 1 VAL, adding 1 agi. A 200 credit suit would have 2 VAL, and add 2 AGI. A 500 credit suit would add 5 AGI, and so on. There's no limit in theory, but obviously there's only so strong or fast a person can be suit or not. Suffice to say absurdly large values will receive diminishing returns.

When you buy something, say what Value you buy. A Medkit, a Medbot, and a Compression Laser all have costs in credits per point. A Medbot with a value of 1 has Medical skill of 2. A Medkit with a value of 1 adds 1 point to your Med skill. A Compression Laser with a Value of 1 barely has much use at all, since it only adds 1 point to your Weapons skill for damage.

Also, for ease of writing, just write the value of the item after its name, hyphen-separated. I.e. "Jackbot-6" is a Value 6 Jackbot, with all stats at 6.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:27:08 pm by Person »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »

Perhaps you don't completely understand the shop mechanic. Understandable, as its a little complex. Let's do an example.

Jetpack Suit(100cpp): Adds VAL to AGI

The cpp is credits per point. Divide the amount of credits you spend on that item by the cpp to get the resulting object's VAL. Thus a 100 credit suit have 1 VAL, adding 1 agi. A 200 credit suit would have 2 VAL, and add 2 AGI. A 500 credit suit would add 5 AGI, and so on. There's no limit in theory, but obviously there's only so strong or fast a person can be suit or not. Suffice to say absurdly large values will receive diminishing returns.
(Marvelous! I see! I like this system. I shall edit my list immediately.)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »

Similarly, a 200cpp Gunbot would have a weapon skill of 2 and no other skills. This is less than stellar. You're getting there though.

Edit: Oh. (I approve) As an aside, we still need 2 more people. Feel free to keep discussing names for the ship.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:35:43 pm by Person »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 05:27:45 pm »

Similarly, a 200cpp Gunbot would have a weapon skill of 2 and no other skills. This is less than stellar. You're getting there though.
(The robot is LITERALLY just something my character is going to strap onto his back with duct-tape. He's going to be called Frank, and they shall go on magical adventures together.)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 08:51:52 pm »

Name:Techni Caliope Shunal
Appearance: adult and human.
How cheeky. I like you. However, as much as I want to allow that to remain as is, some of the stuff in the metamorphica checks the gender of the target, so at least that at a minimum would be nice to have.

In any event, having more than one gunner isn't a bad thing, but I'd recommend a pilot, or having a robot to do so. It's kind of a necessary job. Also having someone to man the scanners is kind of important, unless you want to exclusively use comms to pick up extermination jobs. Needless to say I'll throw you at more dangerous stuff in that case. You seem to have technical skill handled though.

Edit: Also, I'd prefer you hold off on buying stuff until the crew is complete and the ship has a name, but feel free to discuss your potential purchases.
I'll be male. I was planning on manning the scanner - that takes tech, right? My system bonus is sensors, after all. And I did want to wait until we had a fullish crew before talking about purchases in depth. I will probably get a harpoon gun, of course. With three weapons people, we have a hunt squad going. I think a compression laser mount would be a good ship weapopn, for when the whale is more threat than opportunity, more risk than reward, more Hyde than Jeckyl, more oatmeal raisin than cookie.

Also note that I've changed my vote on ship name to "The Hair Pee Pod"

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling RTD Adventure: Revival - 4/6 Players
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »

We don't really have a dedicated doctor or pilot at this point, in case someone's wondering what role they could fill if they were to join. Also yeah I kinda figured you'd be on the scanners. If we don't get enough people sometime soon for some incomprehensible reason I might just eventually send you off at some point as is and say that you sort of left by accident without the rest of the crew. Wee drunkenness is best excuse.

Edit: Oh we do have a doctor never mind.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:45:34 pm by Person »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »

You do have a "doctor"... He's just more likely to hack off and burn anything that breaks. so expect Harpoon peg-legs and hook hands.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 10:14:59 pm »

Going to waitlist. Looks fun, but I don't think I have a bunch of time to play this right at this moment, and the last thing you need is a semi-inactive person bogging you down at the start of the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25