Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I be a merchant or trader? What about a hunter?  (Read 1984 times)

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I be a merchant or trader? What about a hunter?
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:08:14 am »

Specifically, a hunter that has his own house in the woods and occasionally goes into town to sell meats and such. OR a merchant with bodyguards who has a route between civs.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Can I be a merchant or trader? What about a hunter?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:46:03 pm »

Hunter with a house in the woods is totally doable. Selling meat in town is iffy, since I don't think you can trade for currency at the moment; and there's no real need to buy anything, either. Same goes for merchant - technically possible, but doesn't really have any benefits.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:47:54 pm »

You can be both those things, but you can't really own pack animals or anything so the latter might be a bit underwhelming. Also I'm pretty sure humans are the only ones that buy and sell stuff in adventure mode, so you'd be limited to trading with human civs.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 01:28:47 pm »

Ok thanks. How do I identify a shop from all the other shacks in a human village?

Also am i right in saying that the creators of this game drop huge updates every few years with lots of content, as opposed to a trickle of patches and bugfixes? If so, when is the next update expected?

kewlslice

• Bay Watcher
  • It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:42:28 pm »

Shops will have signs out front.

Yea, the next update is months away, there will probably be one by the end of this year though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:49:09 pm »

Check out the development pages (links at the top of the suggestions forum to both the "short-term" and wide ranging plans). Being able to play as a merchant (buying, selling, running a caravan, guarding a caravan, etc) is planned. However, it probably won't happen until the economy is implemented (last in the list of the short-term plans, so years yet).

You can gain reputation for hunting beasts right now. So that's a start.

Next big updates (assume 6-12 months, plus a further 6 months or so after release for bug fixes and various complementary updates):
- Artifacts (being worked on now)
- Magic and myth generation (looks massive, probably a couple of updates)
- Starting Scenarios (including politics, law, etc)
- Boats (including moving fortress parts)
- Economy (far off dream).

All sorts of issues could slow down development of course. Artifacts seems pretty straightforward but words like 'kobold sites' and 'site lag improvement' can't help but bring up a vision of a long hard winter of coding hell. Hope to be proved wrong of course. :)

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:35 pm »

I doubt you will be ... it'll be worse than a true Arctic winter atop a glacier after the miner slides off upon arrival, into the frigid ocean from which you cannot retrieve his pick ...
Although, you know, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he can roll out updates faster than anyone expects.

Don't get too hopeful, though, because unfortunately, this is masterful Coding. It menaces with spikes of Unforeseen Difficulties, and hangs with rings of Coding Workarounds, adorned with a picture of Humans beneath a Computer. The Humans are staring at the computer in states of awe. The Computer is burning atop piles of printed XXBug ReportsXX. The piles of XXBug ReportsXX are growing faster than they are burning as New Features appear around them in spires of menacing Troubleshooting.

That's all I've got tonight, unfortunately. It's a bit late round here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:20:05 pm »

Ah well, the harder it is, the more chance that oft overlooked systems will need to be improved/overhauled/torn out beaten and reborn anew in order to get the new stuff to work properly.

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 04:50:40 pm »

Boats? Hell yes. I need my seafaring dwarves ASAP!!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »

Hunter with a house in the woods is totally doable. Selling meat in town is iffy, since I don't think you can trade for currency at the moment; and there's no real need to buy anything, either. Same goes for merchant - technically possible, but doesn't really have any benefits.

Currency works, but not all shops seem to have currency.

So, yeah you can, also it does have some benefits, like buying furniture at a furniture shop works so building a golden table you buy works since you cant craft that yourself/., and then you can "build" them at your house. Also people in the city will very quickly get comfortable with you (eg, it ends up like your hometown where everyone is creepy-friendly)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:06:36 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:03:24 am »

Also people in the city will very quickly get comfortable with you (ehg, it ends yup like your hometown where everyone is creepy-friendly)
Happy smiling Fisherman: Hullo Urist, praise suicide!
Urist: Uh, what?
Happy smiling Merchant: Oh, hi Urist! You know, life is in a word, mutilation.
Urist: I need to move...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 05:52:15 am »

Oh yeah probably should say this about trading but doing so adds your character to a person relations list as "good for business"  so you could set up a goal to be a good trader that way and be known as a business man.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 11:11:51 am »

I doubt you will be ... it'll be worse than a true Arctic winter atop a glacier after the miner slides off upon arrival, into the frigid ocean from which you cannot retrieve his pick ...
Although, you know, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he can roll out updates faster than anyone expects.

Don't get too hopeful, though, because unfortunately, this is masterful Coding. It menaces with spikes of Unforeseen Difficulties, and hangs with rings of Coding Workarounds, adorned with a picture of Humans beneath a Computer. The Humans are staring at the computer in states of awe. The Computer is burning atop piles of printed XXBug ReportsXX. The piles of XXBug ReportsXX are growing faster than they are burning as New Features appear around them in spires of menacing Troubleshooting.

Don't forget, all of this is happening during the longest-running strange mood, ever. Hmm... makes me wonder sometimes if he's stuck in a burrow with no stockpile...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 09:29:33 pm »

You can be both those things, but you can't really own pack animals or anything so the latter might be a bit underwhelming. Also I'm pretty sure humans are the only ones that buy and sell stuff in adventure mode, so you'd be limited to trading with human civs.

No, in version 40.xx and above you can trade with humans in their towns AND dwarves at their trading depot s(which each npc fort has) and you can trade with pretty much anyone else personally.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com