Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WIP "Coherent" Weapons and armor Mod V3 - Now with 100% more padding!  (Read 5918 times)

Jazzpirat!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey folks,

I'm working on a mod with the intention of increasing the variety of weapons, armor and materials to spice things up a bit, and in some ways rebalance the game.
All the content I plan on adding is supposed to be functionally unique, meaning that I want to avoid making redundant items that barely differ from others in any way but name, there's no reason to have a separate sabre and scimitar and talwar.

The idea for the mod sprang up when I decided that elves suck at fighting a bit too much for my tastes. I think that wooden weaponry is crummy, and so I decided to change up their weaponry by turning them from hippies into more primitive hippies. In other words, I replaced their wooden swords and spears with clubs.

Anyway, things kinda escalated from there, and I now plan to modify various combat-related things, here are the current features:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

V3 released:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357

By the way, if anyone wants to use any of this stuff for their own mods, or expand on what I've done, go right ahead.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:39:09 pm by Jazzpirat! »

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIP "Coherent" Weapons and armor Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »

Awesome. Thanks for uploading this! Will give it a try when I get some time free, and will let you know how it goes!

...perhaps the angrier elves will finally instill in me the proper dorfy hatred of elves that I lacked for so long.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:06:43 pm by Zidana »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:09:33 am »

Looks good anon Jazzpirat!

Jazzpirat!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:19:31 pm »

Looks good anon Jazzpirat!
i have been found out, oh no

Anyway, I've released what I'm calling v2 because I'm lazy with version numbers:

Major changes:
-Spring steel now has unique stats, and is now exclusive to humans. It now functions as a more flexible steel which may help a bit against blunt attacks, but it sacrifices hardness, and therefore sharpness for it. In addition, it is roughly 10% lighter than dwarven "high" steel, in order to reflect humans preferring lighter built equipment.
-Wrought iron has been renamed to mild steel, and now also has new stats. It's an intermediate between steel and iron in terms of characteristics, and still acts as a substitute for pig iron, making it a very useful form of goblinite.
-Tweaked various stabbing related numbers. Half-swording, short sword stabs and spear thrusts all are a force to be reckoned with in terms of armor penetration. Half-swording has been made even slower. Protip: Wild half sworded stabs are deceptively fast and incredibly powerful, but risky.
-Elven bowmen are now referred to as skirmishers, reflecting their usage of the atlatl.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:26:18 am »

Worth noting that you did some handy science there, I was wrong on some of the values I expected to have certain effects.

Zidana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:51:54 pm »

The version number at the DFFD site still says v1 in the description, even though the DL is for v2.

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:12:02 am »

question about adding mods with other mods, is there a way to merge those text files? because I have wanderer's friend, but if I add this mod that I really want, it will overwrite that mod and conflict.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:01 am »

Yes. You merge those text files. You look at them and put them together in a way that fits, relying on your judgment.

We like using WinMerge or some other diff tool for that purpose.

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:22:37 pm »

Well I attempted it manually, and I must have messed something up because I don't see the weapons in the forge, or the new steels in the smelter. I'll see if I can un!!fun!! it

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »

I know i'm probably bugging you, but while you're doing this weapon mod, I have something I would have liked to see: Grimmlocke (giving him proper credit here) made civilian-specific weapons that were clubs, daggers, whips, etc, something the average civilian would carry around. Have you considered such a thing?

Jazzpirat!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 07:40:21 am »

New version's out. Changelog:
- Added padded coifs, gambesons and vests. They're literally just extremely thick cloth garments, but effective armor, especially against lower quality materials. Note that all races get these too, in the case of the elves it makes them quite a bit less squishy.
- Added mail coifs
- Made humans playable in fortress mode, because I thought, "why not?" They were subject to a number of the changes in this mod, they're fully functional and different enough to the dwarves.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:37:16 pm by Jazzpirat! »

Avnas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: WIP "Coherent" Weapons and armor Mod V3 - Now with 100% more padding!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 08:32:06 am »

atlatls

I am so up for this.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:40 pm »

I like this mod. Thank you kindly! I particularly like the balancing you've done to a few of the default weapons and the "half-swording" technique you added to longswords.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:46:58 pm by Taffer »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »

May I see the raws for the club weapons?