Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

WIP "Coherent" Weapons and armor Mod V3 - Now with 100% more padding!

(1/3) > >>

Jazzpirat!:
Hey folks,

I'm working on a mod with the intention of increasing the variety of weapons, armor and materials to spice things up a bit, and in some ways rebalance the game.
All the content I plan on adding is supposed to be functionally unique, meaning that I want to avoid making redundant items that barely differ from others in any way but name, there's no reason to have a separate sabre and scimitar and talwar.

The idea for the mod sprang up when I decided that elves suck at fighting a bit too much for my tastes. I think that wooden weaponry is crummy, and so I decided to change up their weaponry by turning them from hippies into more primitive hippies. In other words, I replaced their wooden swords and spears with clubs.

Anyway, things kinda escalated from there, and I now plan to modify various combat-related things, here are the current features:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Replaces all elven weapons. Elves now use clubs (come in one and two-handed varieties), specialized spears and atlatls, which perform better than the vanilla wooden weapons and ammo. Elves are now tree-dwelling cave hippies.
- Rebalanced various weapons. Scimitars are very powerful cutters, long swords are now more like real medieval ones.
- Added half-sword thrusts. Slow, but powerful.
- Added arming swords and falchions.
- Increased the amount of weapons that can be made of obsidian
- Expanded steels - First version implemented. Spring steel is made by humans and sacrifices hardness for flexibility. It is also lighter to reflect a human preference for lighter equipment. Mild steel is made by goblins and is crude and inferior to other types, and can be melted down and used as a substitute for pig iron, making it a very useful form of goblinite.
- Cloth armor in form of gambesons, padded vests and padded coifs. They are literally just very thick clothes, but they are surprisingly effective.
- Mail coifs.
- Optional angry elves mode: Makes hippies hostile to all other civs. Replace the entity_default file with the one in the "Angrier elves" folder. They don't survive well in small worlds for obvious reasons.
- Made humans playable in fortress mode, because I thought, "why not?" They were subject to a number of the changes in this mod, they're fully functional and different enough to the dwarves.

V3 released:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357

By the way, if anyone wants to use any of this stuff for their own mods, or expand on what I've done, go right ahead.

Zidana:
Awesome. Thanks for uploading this! Will give it a try when I get some time free, and will let you know how it goes!

...perhaps the angrier elves will finally instill in me the proper dorfy hatred of elves that I lacked for so long.

Max™:
Looks good anon Jazzpirat!

Jazzpirat!:

--- Quote from: Max™ on August 16, 2016, 05:09:33 am ---Looks good anon Jazzpirat!

--- End quote ---
i have been found out, oh no

Anyway, I've released what I'm calling v2 because I'm lazy with version numbers:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357

Major changes:
-Spring steel now has unique stats, and is now exclusive to humans. It now functions as a more flexible steel which may help a bit against blunt attacks, but it sacrifices hardness, and therefore sharpness for it. In addition, it is roughly 10% lighter than dwarven "high" steel, in order to reflect humans preferring lighter built equipment.
-Wrought iron has been renamed to mild steel, and now also has new stats. It's an intermediate between steel and iron in terms of characteristics, and still acts as a substitute for pig iron, making it a very useful form of goblinite.
-Tweaked various stabbing related numbers. Half-swording, short sword stabs and spear thrusts all are a force to be reckoned with in terms of armor penetration. Half-swording has been made even slower. Protip: Wild half sworded stabs are deceptively fast and incredibly powerful, but risky.
-Elven bowmen are now referred to as skirmishers, reflecting their usage of the atlatl.

Max™:
Worth noting that you did some handy science there, I was wrong on some of the values I expected to have certain effects.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version