Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Settler Mode?  (Read 2794 times)

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Settler Mode?
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:15:35 pm »

Is there a mode where your character can be one of the various professions of people in the game (non-adventurous ones like farmer, gem cutter, animal dissector, etc. etc.)?
It may not be super excited but I'd like to know if it's possible (through a mod or otherwise).

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Settler Mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 08:13:04 pm »

Is there a mode where your character can be one of the various professions of people in the game (non-adventurous ones like farmer, gem cutter, animal dissector, etc. etc.)?
It may not be super excited but I'd like to know if it's possible (through a mod or otherwise).

There are plenty of mods that provide adventurer reactions to do a few civilian tasks, but they're a little different than the reactions fortress mode uses. Most workshops don't work either, it's also worth noting that an adventurer's profession title is based on their military skills. You could be a legendary leatherworker and still be called a recruit, with the corresponding graphic to match if your using a graphics pack.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:16:22 pm »

I see, thanks for the answer.  :D

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:22:39 pm »

I see, thanks for the answer.  :D

Uhm, can you point me out to one such mod? I've looked in the "Community Mods and utilities list" and I couldn't find any. :/

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:36:57 am »

I use a tweaked version of Adventurecraft

DF Wanderer is an alternative

And lastly there's Masterwork which is far less comprehensive for adventurer mode crafting but adds a ton of stuff, may or may not be to your tastes.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:14:47 am »

I use a tweaked version of Adventurecraft

DF Wanderer is an alternative

And lastly there's Masterwork which is far less comprehensive for adventurer mode crafting but adds a ton of stuff, may or may not be to your tastes.

I'll look into them, many thanks. :)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »

If dfhack is not a problem there is also advfort

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 05:40:26 pm »

You can pull off being a hunter/boonecarver/wood craftsman. and sell them to people in cities for currency (sometimes ) and buy things to improve your house then build them. I did this when version 42 first came out by renting a tavern room for weeks and hoarding expensive golden furniture and such, I imagine its easier now with the whole "building" mechanic. Not that interesting for people into killing monsters though, feels more like the sims.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

jimboob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 11:18:50 am »

You can pull off being a hunter/boonecarver/wood craftsman. and sell them to people in cities for currency (sometimes ) and buy things to improve your house then build them. I did this when version 42 first came out by renting a tavern room for weeks and hoarding expensive golden furniture and such, I imagine its easier now with the whole "building" mechanic. Not that interesting for people into killing monsters though, feels more like the sims.

For the life of me I cannot find a single person to "sell" anything to. Most of my adventures in adventure mode consist of wandering aimlessly.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »

There are plenty of mods that provide adventurer reactions to do a few civilian tasks, but they're a little different than the reactions fortress mode uses. Most workshops don't work either, it's also worth noting that an adventurer's profession title is based on their military skills. You could be a legendary leatherworker and still be called a recruit, with the corresponding graphic to match if your using a graphics pack.

Interestingly enough, Rumrusher had once mentioned the one way to trigger a non-military profession change was to retire your character at a fortress of your own creation. What they change to is based on useful fortress skill set or lack thereof (peasant).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:39 pm »

Interestingly enough, Rumrusher had once mentioned the one way to trigger a non-military profession change was to retire your character at a fortress of your own creation. What they change to is based on useful fortress skill set or lack thereof (peasant).
also the whole recruit title comes from how toady coded the world and how folks move around it.... as in they are all armies tied to companion or military groupings wandering around the map. you could just nickname in profession "farmer" to your character.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:43 pm »

For the life of me I cannot find a single person to "sell" anything to. Most of my adventures in adventure mode consist of wandering aimlessly.

Then perhaps you should learn how to read the map, shift+q and look around  a bit.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 05:51:21 am »

also the whole recruit title comes from how toady coded the world and how folks move around it.... as in they are all armies tied to companion or military groupings wandering around the map. you could just nickname in profession "farmer" to your character.

One other thing to mention. So if/when you retire your character to your fort causing them to acquire a new profession, no adventure mode skill changes will result in profession name change. You'd have to repeat the fort mode process to have a profession change.

So if anyone is looking for a specific civilian profession they'd need to use the sort of mod Arthropleura mentioned, or they could add in their own reaction training that civ skill.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:53:12 am by peasant cretin »