Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not much fun  (Read 1465 times)

fdse2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Not much fun
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »

So, i created a first fortress in masterwork, and i played it like 3 years in game but well, to be honest it was to easy for me, there wasnt even a single kobolt trying to steal something from me so i decided to create new world and play in a bit more dangerous areas and make sure that its alot of civs around me ( i didnt acctually checked it before starting my first fort). So, i picked spot accessible for almost all races but elves and to add more FUN factors i placed it on terrifying surrounding. Well it was pretty fine in the first year, i had some werebeasts comming and even 1 kobolt thief (unfortunately it was literally just 1 kobolt for entire game) and some evil creatures trouble. But then it stopped. So i have year 5 right now and for 3 years nothing happened, not even a single ambush or smth, just couple of beast spawning in caveins.My fort is getting rly OP right now so i am asking, is it normal in this mod ?  or did something is broken and i wont have much FUN from this fortress?

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not much fun
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:28:41 am »

I think a lot of that has to do with how newer versions of Dwarf Fortress handles sieges.  Once an enemy decides to attack you, their army has to actually move across the world map to get to you.
So, you need to be accessible to them, they need to feel that you're worth the effort to attack, and then you have to wait for them to travel to you.

Have you tried embarking right next to a dark fortress? That should give plenty of sieges.

LordNippes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:47:20 am »

I think there is not much you can do. That's a problem with this version i also made countless worlds and settle inbetween where the highest density of invader races was on the map, looking it up with legends viewer, often multible civs not more than less then 5 tiles aways on the embark screen map.
Rarly one or two thiefs and also only in the beginning and if finally a siege shows up after 4 years then it consist out of 5 people. The only thing which comes reliable are the Undead from towers but they kill the fps completely with all their hundreds of bodyparts crawling around so i always exterminate them dfhack before.
Wealth, trade and making generous presents to caravans also doesn't seem to help much.

fdse2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:59:56 pm »

But is it masterwork thing or vanilla in general?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »

Vanilla. Gen a smaller world if you want to be attacked more often. The lack of space tends to make the civs go for each other (and thus, you) more often.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:58:21 am »

I think a lot of that has to do with how newer versions of Dwarf Fortress handles sieges.  Once an enemy decides to attack you, their army has to actually move across the world map to get to you.
So, you need to be accessible to them, they need to feel that you're worth the effort to attack, and then you have to wait for them to travel to you.

Have you tried embarking right next to a dark fortress? That should give plenty of sieges.

The travel time really isn't that long.