Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unique Playable Intelligent Wilderness Creatures  (Read 12252 times)

joshposh5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unique Playable Intelligent Wilderness Creatures
« on: August 16, 2016, 06:13:01 pm »

Already made a post for this is the little questions post, but I'd like to see more of the community's answers as a whole.

What are some of the most unique intelligent wilderness creatures in terms of playstyle? (Outside of the obvious Elephant Man and Mosquito Man.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Playable Intelligent Wilderness Creatures
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »

And double-checking, it turns out I am a derp. There are only two types of spidermen: jumping spider people, and brown recluse spider people. Of course, jumping spider men aren't venomous. Which is odd, given in real life a giant variation of a "non-venomous" spiders should have some effect on creatures close to what it might normally hunt. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:48:11 pm »

Razorsharp arms as a Mantis man! Chop 'em up!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:11:36 pm »

Hmm. Never tested how effective the ARM_LOWER_SNATCH_ATTACK creature variation is with mantismen.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

joshposh5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »

What skill would affect his slash attack?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 07:26:44 pm »

According to c_variation_default, the striking skill.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

joshposh5

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:23:56 pm »

Thanks guys.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:12:06 pm »

well, any animal race with wings is pretty fun, given the fact that you can fly over obstacles. As for how effective enemies are at hitting targets above them compared to next to them, I'm not sure, though it is possible to attack while in flight.

Giant Tortoise men can retract into their shells. They're resistant to most unarmed attacks. I was able to survive quite a few turns in lava while encased in my shell. However, I began to die quickly the moment I came out of my shell....

Platypus men have a venomous kick, which is pretty cool.

VoxelMush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 04:42:07 pm »

Why are Mosquito Men so special? I looked at their article in the wiki but got no answer for this.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:21 am »

Why are Mosquito Men so special? I looked at their article in the wiki but got no answer for this.
Four arms, flyer, females can suck blood, doesn't need to sleep. That would be why they are good.

But I don't know where their fame comes from ::)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:26 am »

I've recently tried a Tigerwoman. Those are fairly fun.

Scratches become pretty devastating, to say nothing of the bite. Being twice as big as humans, they get a significant powerboost without going to absurd elephantman levels. They're especially fun to play unarmed.

In fact, it reminded me a bit of an old game I used to play:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/T%E2%80%99ai_Fu_Wrath_of_the_Tiger_NTSC.jpg

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 10:05:42 am »

Slug men and Snail man are quite interesting and can be difficult to play. They're half the size of a human, so they are relatively weak, and worst of all, they can't jump and I don't think they can swim either, which obviously is very annoying sometimes as it makes rivers impassable (except when frozen), as well as making combat and movement generally more challenging. They don't have bones to break but still have skin.

Slug men also don't have any legs. Weirdly, Snail men do, but they do have a shell on their back. I'm not sure how effective the shell is at protecting you but it can be attacked and get arrows stuck in it and things so presumably it does work.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 11:01:19 am »

Some of the arthropod-based animal people also have the NOFEAR token. In adventure mode, this is normally a bit pointless. But someone did commit !!SCIENCE!! and this claimed that bogeymen end up neutral to fearless adventurers.

You know, in the unlikely event that you don't simply generate a world without bogeymen.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:58:11 pm »

NOFEAR token. In adventure mode, this is normally a bit pointless. But someone did commit !!SCIENCE!! and this claimed that bogeymen end up neutral to fearless adventurers.
This is actually an incredible thing to know :o
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 03:55:11 pm »

Blame Rumrusher.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: [1] 2 3