Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sentient Weapons, armor, items etc..  (Read 2573 times)

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sentient Weapons, armor, items etc..
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:20:27 am »

Just wondering if there is some way to mod in sentience or some funny interactions with items?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Sentient Weapons, armor, items etc..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:21:19 am »

No.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:26 am »

You could make creatures that look like items and drop the appropriate item when killed, but it would be a very complex modding job.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:49:54 pm »

Maybe I could make a creature shape like weapon consisting of metallic material of course size appropriate and perhaps make it a companion or even a pet of sort with the flying ability, and all the other tags like no breath, no eat no drink, speak, learn etc so a sentient flying weapon ally with a slash, bash etc kind of attack pertaining to that type of weapon maybe even add cast for different types of weapon, item etc with various effects aside from damage dealing, maybe even modify their population so theirs only a handful of them you have to look for in adventure mode also immortal and questioning whether to turn of reproduction or make it specific like a danger beast or some kind of legendary creature??

Thinking about it, I might have to modify or add, additional text files to achieve the desired affect.

Definitly modding this since its a lot more fun than being lost in a dwarf fortress despite being op as hell that you send creature literally flying with every attack,. lolz
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:08:26 pm by Meurlorg »

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »

you can theoretically script the whole process. basically you would give the person using the weapon a syndrome that grants an interaction that when triggered spawns that a weapon-creature and removes the weapon from the persons inventory (ofc this kind of sucks because the person will then have no weapon...) - then you run a timer for the creatures lifetime and return the weapon to the persons inventory when it is over.

kind of complicated tho.

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:15:58 pm »

just discovered arena mode this should be fun

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

Or you could just wait. I'm pretty sure Toady wants to make intelligent equipment for his magic arc.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »

what really sounds sweet but this is me simply having fun with it, basically I'm going to make some new templates, and its not like its going to be equip-able basically I'm making a pet race resembling items you can recruit(imagine a giant floating ass sword that follows you around)....and give them the flying ability as for their drops it could be a actual item non sentient of course since their dead, and perhaps start looking at how I am going to modify appearance by that I mean text(love to write), any idea if that's hard coded or is their a raw for it, along with figuring out a way to assign sprite or at least reuse the weapon sprites available, drop weapons do show up in the map right they have specific sprite if so just might burrow that if I can figure out how to do it unless its hard-coded?

Now then I'm brainstorming the body parts a item might consist of, maybe randomly generate it with cast for item types...accepting suggestion.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:16:56 pm by Meurlorg »

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:23:03 pm »

here is a semi finish entity log n might edit it later

Code: [Select]
entity_sentient

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[ENTITY:SENTIENT_ITEM]
[LAYER_LINKED]
[CREATURE:SENTIENT_WEAPON_MELEE]
[CREATURE:SENTIENT_WEAPON_MID]
[CREATURE:SENTIENT_WEAPON_RANGE]
[FRIENDLY_COLOR:1:0:2]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:1000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:12]
[VARIABLE_ETHIC:ALL:NOT_APPLICABLE:UNTHINKABLE:PUNISH_CAPITAL:PUNISH_EXILE:PUNISH_SERIOUS:PUNISH_REPRIMAND:APPALLING:SHUN:MISGUIDED:JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE:JUSTIFIED_IF_EXTREME_REASON:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED:JUSTIFIED_IF_NO_REPERCUSSIONS:PERSONAL_MATTER:ACCEPTABLE]
[VARIABLE_VALUE:ALL:-50:50]

working on the creatures but I should probably get started on my version of material, body, graphic phoebus n tissue template, I could probably try adding other items beside weapons but testing it out first.

By the way does anyone know if variable:ethics will work?

As of now the only thing that's stump me is to find out where I can edit description, you know how when you generate a adventurer you get a somewhat detailed description, looking for a way to edit that, any ideas?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:53:24 pm by Meurlorg »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 08:59:47 am »

Yeah, none of this is too difficult if you're okay with them just being creatures.  You can also make them drop weapons as their itemcorpse.

Descriptions are mostly hardcoded, but you can give their parts variable dimensions.  For example you can make a sword creature and have it be described like "its blade is long/short".  Straight or curved might also be an option (since it occurs for noses), but you can't make new descriptions that aren't already used for some body part.

Look at the place where body part descriptions are defined.l

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 05:50:39 pm »

Yeah it is totally do-able. If memory serves, the old 34.11 masterwork has several animated weapons and armors as pets for the warlock civ. You can look there for ideas.
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Meurlorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:37:21 pm »

that's great, I actually installed masterwork but it kept crashing so I went back to the newb packet.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 01:46:29 pm »

Descriptions are mostly hardcoded, but you can give their parts variable dimensions.  For example you can make a sword creature and have it be described like "its blade is long/short".  Straight or curved might also be an option (since it occurs for noses), but you can't make new descriptions that aren't already used for some body part.

Not entirely true, if I remember correctly. You can fake it with colors and layer shapes, I think.
I know I managed to set up a naming system for my Huragok in a Halo mod using colors, so it would say stuff like "His buoyancy is Lighter than Some". It'd probably be simple enough to do something like that with weapon creatures.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »

Not entirely true, if I remember correctly. You can fake it with colors and layer shapes, I think.
I know I managed to set up a naming system for my Huragok in a Halo mod using colors, so it would say stuff like "His buoyancy is Lighter than Some". It'd probably be simple enough to do something like that with weapon creatures.
The problem with that method is that you end up with dwarves whose favourite colour is "Lighter than Some".

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »

The problem with that method is that you end up with dwarves whose favourite colour is "Lighter than Some".

True, but it's better than nothing.
Atleast they won't like the color of rotting flesh.

Zombie mods are fun.
Er, atleast I think that's right.
Pages: [1] 2