Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Obtaining a dump of the wiki  (Read 31402 times)

MoonSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining a dump of the wiki
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:39 pm »

Any way to read a dump on an iPad?

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:30 am »

Is it possible to get a dump of just a subset of the wiki?

Basically I'd like to get JUST the DF2012 reference pages+media without Talk pages, etc.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 09:10:55 pm »

I downloaded the link you put on the previous page, but when I import it into WikiTaxi almost everything seems to be missing. Am I doing something wrong? dfwiki.taxi is 20612 KB and dump.xml.bz2 is 11155KB. Is that right or am I missing some stuff? Or does it just not work with wikitaxi?

edit: I can get individual pages fine, but almost every link is broken and I have to search it manually for each page.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:27:23 pm by expwnent »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 09:38:08 pm »

The broken links are most likely a result of a couple extensions we use on the wiki, which WikiTaxi doesn't know how to handle, namely:
* Links in versioned namespaces link to pages in that namespace - e.g. a link to "iron" on any v0.34 page links to "v0.34:iron"
* Pages in the main namespace that don't exist, e.g. iron, are automatically redirected to the current version page
I'm assuming WikiTaxi, being unaware of the first change, tries to link to "iron" instead of "v0.34:iron", for example, and fails because it doesn't exist. I've never used WikiTaxi, but this should be fairly simple to fix if it's a browser-like application that supports Javascript. If not, there was someone else that posted a python-based implementation of the wiki, which we can try to adapt to use the XML dump and handle links correctly.

Edit: link (it's a couple months out of date, but I'll see if I can make it use the XML dump when I get a chance.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:51:26 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 05:10:06 am »

The hyperlinks in that one don't work for me either in chrome or firefox.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 08:44:11 am »

Really? They work for me. It's a lot larger than the XML dump, however, so I'd like to find a better way (I thought someone had made an offline wiki viewer written in Python, but I can't seem to find it). 
Edit: here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:52:57 am by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 05:46:09 pm »

Code: [Select]
file:///C:/Users/myusername/Desktop/dfwiki/df_wiki_v01_DF2012/df_wiki_v01_DF2012/articles/a/b/o/Dwarf_Fortress:About.html
does not exist, but

Code: [Select]
file:///C:/Users/myusername/Desktop/dfwiki/df_wiki_v01_DF2012/df_wiki_v01_DF2012/articles/a/b/o/Dwarf_Fortress_About.html
does.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 07:43:17 pm »

Huh, it works for me with the colon. Might be a Windows-specific issue. I've had better luck with the Python-based one (it can use the most recent dump), although it doesn't support a lot of templates since it parses the wikitext itself. HTML dumps are probably more reliable, since the wiki uses a lot of unique extensions (AutoRedirect, DFRawFunctions, etc.) that confuse offline wiki programs, but they're harder to keep up-to-date due to their size and generation time.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 08:21:19 pm »

We tried HTML dumps at one point; they took something like 80 hours to generate the HTML dump for the wiki. We can't afford to have a server constantly spinning those dumps so we killed it in favor of the XML dump.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:25 am »

Oh, I completely understand. XML dumps are a better way of doing things. I just can't get it to work. The python version works well enough for my purposes. Thanks for your help.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »

I tried xowa today and it looks really good.
Though there seem to be some problems parsing templates
I guess the dump is mising something?
--------------

Edit*

Never mind, I see the wiki is using some extensions so that makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:48:40 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 11:09:08 pm »

Has anyone found/use an offline wiki reader on the Ipad that works with the data from the DF wiki? I've been trying for ages to find a way to read the wiki while on planes/traveling/etc from my ipad.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 08:22:22 am »

Ramblurr came up with a way to generate HTML dumps, so we're working on getting that set up. I'm not sure if it'll work on mobile devices at this point, but it's possible.

rokoeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 11:07:39 pm »

So I tried to download the dump and use it with the Taxi but the links/search engine are broken (as reported before) and the dump version seems to be from DF 0.34.x

I looked at this topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125494.0 , but the last post is from 2013...

Any news? There is how to get the DF wiki (I want the for DF 0.43.x) for offline reading with a doable size(up to 5 Gbyte in my case)?

What about http://www.httrack.com/?

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 11:43:42 am »

Really? They work for me. It's a lot larger than the XML dump, however, so I'd like to find a better way (I thought someone had made an offline wiki viewer written in Python, but I can't seem to find it). 
Edit: here.
Thanks for the link, Wiki-Taxi does not work on macintosh computers but this does.

However it is a bit broken. Are there any other options for me to open the xml dump? Or a way to convert it to a .zim file?
Pages: 1 2 [3]