Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't pierce aquifer.  (Read 829 times)

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't pierce aquifer.
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:23:40 pm »

I'm having a bad time trying to pierce my multi-level aquifer. There are still two aquifer layers, at least, but the one I'm trying to drain now is not draining, so I'm unable to advance deeper. I'm using the double slit method. Is there any known bug about aquifers that matches the description?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: Can't pierce aquifer.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:32:38 pm »

Nope.  At least, not that I’m aware of.  Draining aquifers is just a bitch.  I’ve been trying for quite some time to manage one over in a community fort in some way worth sharing (thanks again, Smake!).  So far, no such luck.  Double slit works if everything goes right, the problem I’m up against seems to be variable flow rates in multiple layers of different stone.  I’m working on a variant of the concentric ring but so far, not worth writing up.  Which is likely why there’s that handy command in DFHack. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:43:36 pm »

You mean the drain aquifer command? I don't want to use that. -.-

Anyway, I tried to find a dry spot and I hit the jackpot, so I finally reached the stone. But I would really love to learn the intricacies of aquifers.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:46:54 am »

I often find it's easiest to just tunnel around the aquifer, they don't seem to handle steep hills or changes in the biome very well so it's just a matter of channeling a square or two every so often  around those areas until you find a dry spot in an otherwise soggy layer to put the stairs in. Rinse and repeat until you're clear.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle