Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243329 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1200 on: January 21, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »

Just dig a second chunnel, then when Bojo goes in to inspect the work, brick up both ends.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 21, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »

Scale it up/multiply it.  ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1202 on: January 21, 2018, 07:00:37 pm »

That is a very pretty bridge concept

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:56 pm »

Except that anything that "slides" like that is a nonstarter, given that this is the Thames, and that river was (at the time) "infamous" for being fouled.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 21, 2018, 11:36:46 pm »

No it's fine, back then they had a big supply of orphans to un-muck such things.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:07 am »

Gotta love that arsenical wallpaper, and the instability of the middle class of the time.  Still, Orphan makes a terrible lubricant. Not nearly enough fat on them to grease up the workings of a bridge like that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:33 am »

Are those ambush cannons hiding in bushes in the left lower corner?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 22, 2018, 06:57:37 am »

(That'd be the Tower Of London's frontage. Helpfully orientating the view to those of us with a passing familiarity with the current scene. The horizon turns esturine a bit quickly, given its got to curve round Greenwich first, but that's artistic kicence for you, even accounting for the couple of centuries of trade, Germans, Yuppies, Domes and Olympics making their unique cobtributions to the skyline...)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 27, 2018, 02:04:41 pm »

Looks like something in a recent update to Malwarebytes is causing a serious memory leak, hundreds of owners (myself included) are seeing it. It's eating >10GB of RAM after about two minutes of runtime for me. The active web protection process is also refusing to activate. If you run MWB, for now quit it from the taskbar tray to stop it from restarting. Their people have responded and are working on a fix.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/219918-ram-usage-what-is-going-on/
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/219996-important-web-blocking-ram-usage-issue/

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 27, 2018, 02:39:32 pm »

Looks like something in a recent update to Malwarebytes is causing a serious memory leak, hundreds of owners (myself included) are seeing it. It's eating >10GB of RAM after about two minutes of runtime for me. The active web protection process is also refusing to activate. If you run MWB, for now quit it from the taskbar tray to stop it from restarting. Their people have responded and are working on a fix.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/219918-ram-usage-what-is-going-on/
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/219996-important-web-blocking-ram-usage-issue/

More evidence that humanity has passed peak technological quality.  We've traded quality for...I don't even know. Stuff doesn't even cost less than it used to; at least then I'd accept a quality reduction without as much ire.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 27, 2018, 05:29:10 pm »

Certainly, programs never had problems, back in the golden past.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 27, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »

Certainly, programs never had problems, back in the golden past.
Back in my day, there were none of them newfangled bugs! Now get off my lawn!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 27, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »

The past definitely had bugs, but I don't remember anything as bad as the current state of QA.  Mostly I attribute it to the fact that in the past it was much more expensive to roll out fixes, so you'd better be sure you are almost right when you ship.  Now it's like "Meh, we can issue a patch next week if there's a bug. SHIP IT."  This is actually demonstrable - it's not just "get off my lawn" nonsense.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:02 pm »

The past definitely had bugs, but I don't remember anything as bad as the current state of QA.  Mostly I attribute it to the fact that in the past it was much more expensive to roll out fixes, so you'd better be sure you are almost right when you ship.  Now it's like "Meh, we can issue a patch next week if there's a bug. SHIP IT."  This is actually demonstrable - it's not just "get off my lawn" nonsense.
While that does happen, a bug introduced into an update is a different matter. Something like malwarebytes get constant updates, because the threat environment is constantly changing and the target hardware / operating systems are constantly changing. But it's also similar to e.g. Dwarf Fortress. if the dev tries and whacks all the bugs before shipping, then a much larger percentage of their time is spent looking for elusive bugs, while if you ship it, everyone can find and report bugs, meaning the dev's time is much better spent and the overall cost of production drops. The point isn't that they left bugs in, it's that it's actually more time-consuming to find the bugs than to fix them. 100 people testing a program for 1 year will encounter the same number of bugs as releasing the program to 10,000 people will in 3.6 days. Anything that gets constant updates is effectively always in the beta-testing phase.

Basically it's a rock and a hard place - do you only ship updates to virus software after testing them on every possible configuration to make sure there aren't minor bugs? No, because people are getting infected with the latest attacks while you're off doing that. You ship it with critical bugs fixed and up to date threat protection. Any bug that doesn't wreck your system is secondary because anti-malware makers and in an arms-race with malware makers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:16:57 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 27, 2018, 11:03:19 pm »

For what it's worth, the MWB devs already pushed an update that fixed the problem. Response time from initial reports -> patch was <12 hours I think.

That said, a nigh-universally replicable memory leak that appears and escalates in a matter of seconds after startup is the sort of thing that seems like it should have been caught if they'd tested the update at all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 157