Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243380 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1410 on: April 10, 2018, 01:41:51 am »

I meant promising compared to all the other times I've seen a phone dock trying to pretend it is a computer.

An S9 probably compares pretty well against whatever you're using, I've got ddr4 ram and a g4620 pentium and doubt I'm significantly far ahead of a flagship phone these days in regular day to day tasks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 10, 2018, 01:44:45 am »

The issue is having hardware in the phone. The hardware in the phone has to compete for space (See the *REAL* reason Apple removed the headphone jack), and so the maker is not going to put "dormant" hardware inside. The hardware that *IS* inside, is designed to run off the battery for 4 to 6 hours.

Clearer?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 10, 2018, 02:11:16 am »

The issue is having hardware in the phone. The hardware in the phone has to compete for space (See the *REAL* reason Apple removed the headphone jack), and so the maker is not going to put "dormant" hardware inside. The hardware that *IS* inside, is designed to run off the battery for 4 to 6 hours.

Clearer?

Oh, yeah, that's clearer.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 10, 2018, 02:25:15 am »

That's a load of crap, they dropped the jack to push sales of bluetooth headphones. It's a tiny component with no real gain packaging wise.

Most flagship phones run on a big.little setup with a nominal 8 core chip using 4 high and 4 low speed/draw processors, very rarely do they use all 8 simutaneously, favoring spikes with the high or sustained low use, so there is literally dormant hardware potential which is tuned to offer certain battery life profiles and certain heavy use performance.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 10, 2018, 02:34:01 am »

The size of the port itself is indeed tiny.

However, remember that it requires an amplifier, and a DAC. (The DAC likely already exists, but is likely a cheaper/smaller component that only drives the phone's built in speakers and mic, and does not need heavy amplification that headphones would need. Remember, not everyone uses tiny little earbuds that have low voltage requirements.) Compare with bluetooth which has antenna co-existence with the wifi chip-- or with direct digital output via the data port on the bottom.

Further consider the problems with RF noise of driving higher voltage pulsed signals in an enclosed space, and how this can cause problems with other device electronics.

Also, consider that not all of those "Deactivated cores" are functional, in all likelihood. If your intended use case is to never turn those cores on, then there is no need to have them be functional. This means the fab run can have higher acceptance rates, as not all the cores need to be functioning, and they can be defective from the factory.  If all the cores needed to function, these chips would have to be discarded. This means cheaper phones using the defective chips (that work just fine in the phone).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:40:41 am by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 10, 2018, 05:50:44 am »

Yet we have the S9 with a jack.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big.LITTLE

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:35 am »

Samnsung's development department != Apple's development department.

I am not saying it is impossible, just that Apple had reasons other than "Oh noes, how will we get people to buy our overpriced "ear-pons" and beats headphones that get lost, are over-priced, and sound like shit!?" for why it eliminated the headphone jack.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 10, 2018, 06:14:44 am »

Yeah, lots of development teams gave reasons for eliminating them, yet almost every one were simultaneously launching usb type-c or bluetooth headphones, so fuck their excuses, it's a cash grab.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 10, 2018, 06:18:41 am »

They had other reasons, the question is if they needed other reasons. :P
And it's Apple, so no they did not.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 10, 2018, 10:08:37 am »

Not just apple, lots of teams did that, I think two weren't coincidentally launching usb type-c or bluetooth headphones? I follow fondleslab development as they're getting close to the point where I wouldn't mind one to play with.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:18 am »

Well, I mean, if you get rid of the jack, you'd better make sure there are other headphones available.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 10, 2018, 10:12:20 am »

Oh there are, but like I said, none of the "we desperately needed more battery room" bullshit flies. Be honest: you wanted to sell some new bluetooth bullshit and knew people would keep using analog jacks if given the choice.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:03 am »

And if they're going to force Bluetooth on me, they better double the baseline battery-life, to compensate. (How much extra space does that take up in the device, just to stand still in practical terms?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:53 am »

Windows just notified me that it had installed some photo app that was already busy scanning my hard drive and collecting albums from the pictures I had saved. A quick look at their store showed that I'm not the only one upset about this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Microsoft has become the Donald Trump of operating systems, forcing it's own people to pay for crap that makes no sense and nobody ever wanted.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 11, 2018, 01:45:35 am »

*puts the case up on jacks*
*slides underneath it on a dolly*
*clanks around a bit*
*slides back out*
Awright mac, seems like ya got a nasty microcrap infestation goins on in the-ah, honestly I gotta go wash my hands aft-uh touchin' that shit, we can go burns tha fuck outta it around back if'n ya want?
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 157