Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243806 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1470 on: April 16, 2018, 03:35:08 am »

I am sure there is a really bad horror novel plot line in this someplace...

Imagine:

Former soviet psychic research + Solipsist espers + Gestalt entity theory + Demiurge with MPD == Awakened demiurge with multiple bodies, actively manifesting new reality.

Sounds fun, right? :P

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:05 am »

While I'm not sure about going full-on microbiotic environment control, the contained structure does help reduce the risk of the modified plants themselves escaping into the local ecosystem and becoming invasive species. Which itself is a concern, especially in more fragile/susceptible areas.

That's just being pedantic now and not really proving anything. e.g. perhaps there's 80% less pump pressure needed this way, which would be in line with the claim. e.g. there wasn't any claim that the entire company was "pump free" was there? Just that the way that each tower disperse the nutrients is by gravity, with removes the need for pumps.

I kinda feel like this is needlessly aggressive... The wording is a bit ambiguous and could easily be interpreted to mean "no pumps at all", and as with all "groundbreaking" startups, it's healthy to have a fair dose of skepticism before they've actually broken any ground. Hell, Kickstarter should be a great example of this... "Our system is unique in that it completely solves and avoids these common problems met by our competitors", and then slightly later "turns out we actually ran into the same problems, because we couldn't figure out a solution like we thought we'd be able to by now".

Then again, it's Vox, so I wouldn't necessarily place the blame for miscommunication on the actual startup.

Sorry if that came across as aggressive, but let me clarify my point.

I think the context is important however. Clearly, if you've got the nutrients into the building, that's involved effort. The effort to raise the nutrients 20 feet at that point is a minimal part of the process.

What's important is what the method was being compared against - which was vertical farming systems that use stacks of horizontal shelves. e.g. when you use horizontal shelves, then you need pressurized pumps on each shelf that pump the nutrients across each level to ensure that all plants receive nutrients. Whereas, when the plants are jutting out sideways from a vertical structure, gravity does that for you. Pointing out that energy is needed to raise the nutrients up the tower is missing the point being made - the horizontal shelves method also needs energy to raise the nutrients up to the level of each shelf, then needs pressurized pumps to spread it horizontally.

e.g. the vertical nature of the towers was being compared to horizontal shelving, e.g. it's pointing out what's different about this method of vertical farming vs previous methods of vertical farming. In each case, you needed energy to get the nutrients into the right location to start with, an extra couple of feet isn't a deal-breaker and isn't really cogent with the claim being made, which was pretty straightforward.

and if the farm is multi-level you don't need ladders and buckets (which is sort of an appeal to ridicule, since the whole point of vertical farming is that it scales vertically whereas needing ladders implies you're operating on a single level). Less pumps is less moving parts, less that can break down, less that needs servicing, and less energy needed. If you have employees on the level above, already, it's trivial to get them to top up some nutrient tanks manually for the level below - hey you expended energy getting the employees up there already so if they carry some stuff up the stairs or it goes up in the service lift with them, then that's a minimal expenditure of energy and much less flaky than trying to pump it up.

This is why I said it was being overly pedantic - a counter-argument can be so pedantic that it actually loses sight of important contextual information about the point being made: pointing out that theoretically it needs energy to raise anything, anywhere ... misses the point that the article was contrasting vertical plant shelving vs horizontal plant shelving - and this is clear from context since it was the vertical shelving concept itself (and not vertical farming in general) which was being referenced in the quote you disputed.

You do realise that horizontal shelf setups can use gravity assisted drip-feeds as well. Pump the water to the top of the shelf and then have gravity do the rest. It's ancient technology at this point, so touting it as a bold new way to save energy is pretty silly. Pointing out a flaw in the presentation of a radical new project may be pedantic, but this isn't really a small flaw but a key part of how the system operates. If they're being misleading (intentionally or not) about this aspect, it calls into question other aspects of the project as well, it paints them as either ignorant of the field they're trying to revolutionise or more focused on bombastic presentation of the project than being honest about the whole thing (which may be a neccessary evil in order to get funding but I still don't have to like such an approach to doing buisness).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 16, 2018, 06:08:04 am »

It's not exactly very "tall", but that quote nest is getting mighty big... It's not a quote pyramid, so what is it? A quote bridge?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 16, 2018, 06:17:01 am »

A vertical quote farm :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 16, 2018, 06:37:25 am »

It's not exactly very "tall", but that quote nest is getting mighty big... It's not a quote pyramid, so what is it? A quote bridge?

Ziggurat. It's quite flat on top, and very steppy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 16, 2018, 07:20:28 am »

Mesoamerican pyramids also got flat tops.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:39 am »

Or maybe I just quote you guys and start a legit quote pyramid.
In a time before time, I had a name.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 16, 2018, 09:30:19 am »

If it looks like a pyramid but has its top cut off it's not a pyramid it's a frustum.  Silly archaeologists or whatever, not paying attention in geometry class.

Although to be fair, saying the "Aztec frustums" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:07 am »

Or maybe I just quote you guys and start a legit quote pyramid.
Let's do it

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 16, 2018, 11:39:25 am »

Let's not.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 16, 2018, 11:42:48 am »

Much like the Aztecs before us, any quote pyramid being built results in sacrifices (usually of accounts) upon them at completion.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:51 pm »

If it looks like a pyramid but has its top cut off it's not a pyramid it's a frustum.  Silly archaeologists or whatever, not paying attention in geometry class.

Although to be fair, saying the "Aztec frustums" doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Archeologists are notoriously bad at naming things.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 16, 2018, 12:36:59 pm »

"I'm angry and narcissistic, so my glorious discovery shall be called Terror Lizards, in honor of my massiveness"

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 16, 2018, 12:45:23 pm »

"I'm angry and narcissistic, so my glorious discovery shall be called Terror Lizards, in honor of my massiveness"
That's paleontologists. Archeologists study human material culture and such.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:43 pm »

That's paleontologists. Archeologists study human material culture and such.
That's what happens when you do nothing but fondle bones all day.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 157