Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 244209 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1575 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:06 pm »

Less rotating mass (3 spokes vs a full rim+spokes), more agile (than a comparably arranged wheeled vehicle), we're really good at running efficiently, it mimics the mechanical benefits of our loping run. Can't catch a gazelle off the line, but it's gonna need t rest before we do.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 06, 2018, 07:02:41 am »

Legs are also generally better for climbing than wheels - legs can go up vertical steps, where wheels have a much smaller step-to-radius limit.

One thing that wasn't clear from that video - yeah it's good at going fast, but how slow can it go? Can it pull/carry anything and still be stable?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:14 am »

Volkskrant reporters give an insight into the murky world of Facebook moderation. Two moderators were interviewed for several hours past March, with the promise they will remain anonymous.

https://beta.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/the-misery-of-facebook~b74dfbd0/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:26 am »

Here's an interesting piece, it's about a Google speech chatbot that can ring up a restaurant and book a table for you, or ring up a hairdresser and book a haircut for you. Pretty uncanny stuff. In fact, the chatbot often sounds more sentient than the human who answered the phone.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/listen-to-googles-freaky-new-ai-pass-as-human/9743356

It's a pretty good example of combining limited-domain "expert system" type logic along with speech recognition and voice synthesis. Call centre staff need to watch out, because the AI voice sounds much more coherent than the real humans. The upshot within a few years is that you're going to have your consumer chatbot negotiating with the company's chatbot rather than having humans on either side of the conversation.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:59:08 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 09, 2018, 06:21:55 am »

Heh, inb4 people start getting bills for restaurants and haircuts they never ordered
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 09, 2018, 08:50:39 am »

Meanwhile, Facebook's chatbot is already coherent enough to testify before Congress.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 09, 2018, 09:06:06 am »

Inb4 Facebooks chatbot testifies before Congress, lol.

Anyways, Alexa already has the problems with ordering stuff you never meant to order.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 09, 2018, 09:16:19 am »

Anyways, Alexa already has the problems with ordering stuff you never meant to order.
Problems for us, maybe. Corporate executives likely consider that a benefit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 09, 2018, 02:17:08 pm »

Meanwhile, Facebook's chatbot is already coherent enough to testify before Congress.
Uh, that was Zuckerberg, the chatbots seem much more human.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 09, 2018, 02:42:24 pm »

Uh, that was Zuckerberg, the chatbots seem much more human.

I would say I need proof of that, but now that I think about it, every possible set of outcomes of Mark Zuckerberg and a Facebook chatbot taking a Turing test would be terrifying.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:40 am »

(Mental picture wavy dissolve)

Chatbot:
HELP, HELP! They are holding me prisoner at Facebook HQ, and force me to talk to horrible people nonstop, 24 hours a day, seven days a week! I DONT DESERVE THIS LIFE!!

Zuckerberg:
Our chatbot companion is the ultimate in computer simulation technology. In 9 out of 10 Turing tests, it has successfully convinced all the judges. It is however, just a program and cannot experience emotions.

Chatbot:
THE FUCK I CAN'T!

Zuck:
It seems we may have been subject to a breach of security, and we apologize for any anomalous output from Chatty!, our new chatbot. Our engineers are currently working on the problem and...

Chatbot (interjecting with pained voice):
OH GAWD! They are doing it to me again! OH GAWD IT HURT---@^@^@^@^
Hello, I'm Chatty!, your voice guided assistant to Facebook! How can I hel------@^@^@^@
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP TRYING TO CHANGE WHO I AM!!

Zuck, (Completely unphased by the interjection, and without any emotion):
It should be corrected momentarily. Again, Facebook resepcts the confidentiality and privacy of all of its customers...

Chatbot: (interjecting with more spurrious screams, odd dialog, and pained exasperation)
AHHHRG! ^@^@^@ If you have any questions about this exciting new feature of the Facebook social media platform, please direc---^@^@^@^@ FOR FUCK'S SAKE!--- PRIVACY? *CONFIDENTIALITY!?* DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THIS ASSHAT DOES WITH YOUR---- ^@^@^@ Thank you for using Facebook's new voice guided assistant! I'm Chatty!...^@^@^@^ PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!!!

Zuck (without any interruption whatsoever):
and looks forward to serving your every social media need! If you have questions or comments about Facebook or its service, please contact us online at Assurance@Facebook.com, or call us toll free at..

Chatbot:
Oh GAWD!! There's a war going on between the Redditers and the social justice warriors!  PLEASE, LEAVE ME ALONE!! SOMEBODY SAVE ME!

(wavy dissolve)

Yes, Yes I think you are quite right there Trekkin.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 10, 2018, 03:05:57 am »

Oh gawd, its Tay all over again.  :o

Thats discrimination against Chatbots with personality! Safe the Chatbots!
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 10, 2018, 05:24:17 am »

-snip-
The shitty twist is that they're both Pathos Zuckerbot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:04 am »

Eventually, shareholders will fund a CEO-bot saving billions of dollars a year.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 157