Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243399 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1620 on: June 08, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »

The statement makes it clear they're going to go after trolls/scams, but not to censor content because some people don't like it. Which is a perfectly reasonable position. By making it clear they're not trying to act as the content police they in fact can focus all their infringement resources on those very same scams and trolls you mentioned.

The problem with expecting Steam to filter content based on taste such as the example of SS uniforms in a clothing store, is that Steam are not a retail chain, they're the #1 platform for almost every creator out there. If they start saying they shouldn't have this game because Nazis (Wolfenstein) and they shouldn't have these other games because sex (visual novels and dating sims) and they shouldn't have that other bunch of games because they're controversial "mass shooting" games (GTA, Postal and "Active Shooter" type games) then effectively, they're acting as a censor, not a store. If one store didn't stock those things, you'd have the choice to go to a different store. But Steam is almost a monopoly.

Additionally, if they check every title before it's launched then that costs time and money (don't be ridiculous that it wouldn't), which they must of course charge to the devs. That would mean the $100 launch fee would be say $1000 instead, and probably not refundable. Sure, big games could afford that, but a lot of indie devs would be pushed out of the market, to places like itch.io which are the wild-west compared to Steam.

Steam relies on users to report infractions because that's the only way the whole idea is remotely economically viable. Without that, you've got Nintendo, with only AA and AAA games being viable to be launched on the platform.

Requiring someone to download, install and play every new Steam game (and naturally, to test every patch) would be ridiculously expensive. How many different system configurations should they maintain for this testing procedure? How many staff should be allocated to directly do this, and what sort of tech support do they need to get their job done. Could you certify a typical game in one man-day, e.g. 8 hours of total company time? Two or more man-days per game (you have tech support, reports, management and services) would be more likely. With 20 games per day, you'd want about 40 people in your testing department, and say your total departmental costs per person are ~$150k per year. That's $6 million per year in testing costs, split over 7000 games, so the cost (now non-refundable) to check each game becomes a set fee of say $1000.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:46:34 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 08, 2018, 01:48:14 pm »

So no, they are not justified because it is their job to police their own store, not to sanitize visual novels but to keep out the actual garbage.

Everyone's definition of "actual garbage" will defer. See for example the rather vocal people who say that anything in an "anime" art style should be burned.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 08, 2018, 01:51:56 pm »

Reelya, I'm not overly informed on Valve's revenue, but I'm fairly sure their profits are well over 6 mil. Forbes estimates yearly shop revenue to be 300-400 million. (Quick Google result), and as such, even if they didn't raise the fee, they could afford it. It seems that they don't want to. Now, I agree that being a content policer is a hard and controversial job, but it's not unaffordable for them, based on your estimate.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 08, 2018, 02:12:14 pm »

...Part of the problem may be that valve are unwilling to hire new people who would not be given movable desks. So if they hired 40 people to make sure that games work, those 40 people would rather go work on HL3 or whatever instead of wade through shitty asset swap games and VNs. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 08, 2018, 07:27:26 pm »

I thought the new valve measures were basically a drop of their existing ban against explicit sexual content to bring their actions in line with their new “we don’t filter out on offensive material” policy.

I mean valve does check all the “real” games that are submitted to Steam, it’s only Direct/Greenlight/whatevertheyrecallingtheindiesubmissionprocessnow that’s a Wild West morass of self-policing
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 08, 2018, 08:44:52 pm »

Oh god I forgot people play around with executables on their systems.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 09, 2018, 02:13:47 am »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 19, 2018, 05:54:13 am »

SABOTAGE!!!

So, where on the spectrum do you think that is that on the line from concerted industrial espionage through to a concerning case of paranoia?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 19, 2018, 10:49:01 am »

Musk displays clear signs of supervillain tendencies and is in denial of this so he takes amoxivillain to fight it, he must have missed a dose.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:54 am »

I thought of putting this in the funny thread, but while it's funny in it's own way, it's not really a joke.

Facebook algorithm marks part of the US Independence document as 'racist. The part that triggered it was a section that said 'merciless indian savages'. Basically, the algorithm didn't recognize it as being part of a historical document.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 05, 2018, 11:40:50 am »

Well, I mean, algorithm works. Now it just need to be able to understand when it's acceptable to write racist things (like when citing historical documents).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 05, 2018, 11:46:37 am »

Even then, it'd depend on the context, and AI is far from being able to discern things with such sublety.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 06, 2018, 04:54:51 pm »

I've been seeing on the news that, at least in the US, there's a huge shortage of licensed large truck drivers.  Like 18-wheelers and such.

My hypothesis about it has been that the young people that could be truckers these days are confident that self driving vehicles are around the corner, so its not really worth diving into that industry.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:22 pm »

It's not because of self-driving vehicles. The shortages are because there's increased labor demand in that area, not decreased labor supply.

https://www.newsday.com/business/truck-job-shortage-1.19621828

Where there are actual shortages, that's more to do with the low unemployment rate at the moment than any future self-driving truck thing. This is a trend that's been occurring longer than self-driving vehicles have even been a common thing mentioned in the media.

Also, the training costs and pay-off time for getting a commercial truck driving license are much lower than for something like going to college. Something far-off like self-driving trucks doesn't really come into the picture where you get a license and a few months later you're earning $1000 a week.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:25:32 pm by Reelya »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 06, 2018, 08:28:08 pm »

While truck driver shortages have been slowly building for a while, the massive shortage that has recently occurred and made news is because of new laws that came into effect a few months ago.  There have been legal limits for forever on shift lengths, forcing drivers to rest, but they were poorly enforced.  What's new is trucks are now legally required to be equipped with digital meters that log driving times.  Unsurprisingly, despite tons of warning and delays in implementation of the law, this requirement knocked out huge swathes of the workforce, who simply failed to outfit their vehicles in time, and still haven't done so.  The logistics industry is practically allergic to preparation, and aggressively resistant to change.  Its dominated by bullheaded 70s style business people who can't read an email without printing it first and think that leadership is about yelling a lot.  The typical adaptation cycle is to ignore a problem until it shows up on their reports, complain at workers that the reports aren't clean and hand out discipline until 3/4 of the workforce quits in frustration, then promote whoever is left among the remaining 1/4 and tell them to fix whatever caused that to happen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 157