Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 244159 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1635 on: July 06, 2018, 08:40:36 pm »

The typical adaptation cycle is to ignore a problem until it shows up on their reports, complain at workers that the reports aren't clean and hand out discipline until 3/4 of the workforce quits in frustration, then promote whoever is left among the remaining 1/4 and tell them to fix whatever caused that to happen.

Why bother telling them to fix it? I mean, the 3/4ths already left, and the problem was obviously their fault. Problem solved! And it was all because of your hard work, so you should take a vacation till the lazy bastards among the 1/4th come to you with a totally separate problem to the one that you successfully solved.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:08 pm »

What's new is trucks are now legally required to be equipped with digital meters that log driving times.
Mild surprise, there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachograph#In_the_EU

Until I remembered how averse to suffering the tyranny of guaranteed annual vacations, public healthcare and other diabolical regulations the 'Merkin population is...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:33 am »

What's new is trucks are now legally required to be equipped with digital meters that log driving times.
Mild surprise, there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachograph#In_the_EU

Until I remembered how averse to suffering the tyranny of guaranteed annual vacations, public healthcare and other diabolical regulations the 'Merkin population is...

More like the pressure to compete here is so goddamn strong that people will literally drive themselves to the point of near death to ensure their value to employers.  Shit rolls downhill, and truckers are at the very bottom.  Production schedulers hire forwarders, who hire transport brokers, who put out bounties taken up by dispatchers at hotshot trucking companies like XPO, and dead last is the guy who climbs in his truck and actually physically moves the stuff.  That production planner tells the forwarder those auto parts need to get from LAX to El Paso overnight, or the assembly line shuts down and costs millions of dollars - and then threatens to pass on those costs if promises made by clueless salespeople aren't met.  That threat moves right on down the chain to that poor trucker.  Anybody along the way says no to the verbal abuse, and that gets reported straight to their boss.  Which would be fine if there were solidarity, but instead our workplace culture is death cult-like.  Everybody wants to say no, but anyone who does gets quickly made an example of.  So everyone says yes, knowing that they too will be alone if they ever reach their breaking point and rebel.

The sort of talk you're referring to is just cognitive dissonance.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 08, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »

We've been seeing a lot of banking/payment mechanism failures in the UK recently. It's news enough if it's a (whole lotta independent) generic Tech Fail sorta thing. I'm beginning to think that some of them, at least, are actually malicious meddlings.

(Though they say never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 08, 2018, 04:11:13 pm »

(Though they say never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.)

I've always thought that this saying is extremely convenient for those truly guilty of malice who want to hide behind plausible deniability.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 08, 2018, 11:55:14 pm »

I've always thought that this saying is extremely convenient for those truly guilty of malice who want to hide behind plausible deniability.
Better a false negative than a false positive; I'd rather see a guilty man run free than an innocent man behind bars.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 09, 2018, 12:52:11 am »

They’re guilty of incompetence though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 09, 2018, 04:09:41 am »

If that's a crime then we'd better get around to executing all humanity, then.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:10 am »

Its treason, then.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 09, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »

Its treason, then.

A criminal missed-your-mind.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 12, 2018, 05:25:03 pm »

Better a false negative than a false positive; I'd rather see a guilty man run free than an innocent man behind bars.

Especially since if an innocent man goes behind bars the guilty man runs free anyway.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 12, 2018, 05:35:31 pm »

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 12, 2018, 06:47:29 pm »

At this point in my life, I don't 100% agree.

For people in positions of authority, this sentiment should be reversed.  The higher the authority, the more people are put at greater risk as the price for offering that benefit of the doubt.  Otherwise, positions of power are easily abusable, and all the more attractive to those who would want to abuse them.  Letting anything an authority figure does go if it can possibly be explained as incompetence makes us all easy victims to malice.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:52 am »

"Innocent until proven otherwise" is an important pillar of any justice system. Important things should be investigated to find if incompetence or malice truly was the cause (and if it was incompetence, how to idiotproof the system), but until then, nobody can be held responsible.

Besides, if an authority figure uses incompetence as an excuse, honestly or not, is that not reason enough to replace them? In a position of trust, an incompetent person can be as dangerous as a malicious one.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 13, 2018, 01:57:46 am »

Besides, if an authority figure uses incompetence as an excuse, honestly or not, is that not reason enough to replace them? In a position of trust, an incompetent person can be as dangerous as a malicious one.

Authority figures don't themselves use it as an excuse, but I hear it brought up all the time when discussing the actions of politicians.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 157